Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Hardly expecting Hearn to admit anything but thought I’d post anyway... .
  • Options
    Peter Fury responded to that tweet saying they aren't his words and to take it down
  • Options
    JT said:
    Peter Fury responded to that tweet saying they aren't his words and to take it down
    Just seen that , 
  • Options
    Imagine there will be a massive IFL Eddie in the office interview done once the GGG fight is out the way. 
  • Options
    Hardly expecting Hearn to admit anything but thought I’d post anyway... .
    Even more worrying then.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    JT said:
    Signed Parker just in time. The one who beat Ruiz. Although that was debatable at the time. 

Division is wide open. AJ looked beat before he got In the ring. 
    This. And it's so unusual, he's normally looking so calm and in control but he looked visibly nervous, if not worried. 

Not read the rest of the thread yet, but as I understand it tge suggestions are that he wasn't well but Hearn persuaded him to fight, hence why his dad lost it with Hearn at the end. Who knows, but Joshua is much better than he showed.

He's the only person to put Ruiz down, by the way.

Edit: Typically the remaining couple of pages are full of this stuff. :smile:  The concussion suggestion makes a lot of sense to me. The suggestion AJ's team overruled Hearn doesn't explain why AJ's old man went for him though. 
  • Options
    I have been told that it was AJ team that pushed the fight against eddies wishes 
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe AJ camp forced the fight and Hearn wanted it stopped, surely the other way around
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe AJ camp forced the fight and Hearn wanted it stopped, surely the other way around
    AJ can clearly be seen saying to his dad in the ring "it was me, it's on me" after the fight.
  • Options
    Fascinated to read all the insights.  Perhaps we should feel lucky AJ wasn’t in with Miller or Wilder on his off night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    I have been told that it was AJ team that pushed the fight against eddies wishes 
    If true, Hearn or McCracken should have informed the medic in charge - they have a duty of care if they believe a boxer is getting in to the ring unfit to fight with what may have been a head injury.

Totally agree mate that is why I think RM and EH will be the ones that ultimately pay the price 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    If true, Hearn or McCracken should have informed the medic in charge - they have a duty of care if they believe a boxer is getting in to the ring unfit to fight with what may have been a head injury.

Totally agree mate that is why I think RM and EH will be the ones that ultimately pay the price 
    To progress AJ needs to leave RM 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    bobmunro said:

I agree. 
    And in order to fight Fury or Wilder he has to leave  EH.
  • Options
    I'm not sure whether he was concussed before the fight but he definitely was from 3rd round onwards.
  • Options
    no one's asked why he was concussed in sparring?  leads me to 2 questions:  1) how did he get duffed up bad by his sparring partner?  doesn't sound good  2) do they really go hammer and tongs in sparring or was it more just an accident?  sounds very unusual
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    no one's asked why he was concussed in sparring?  leads me to 2 questions:  1) how did he get duffed up bad by his sparring partner?  doesn't sound good  2) do they really go hammer and tongs in sparring or was it more just an accident?  sounds very unusual

More importantly, if he was hurt during sparring, why was that taking place so close to the fight? There should be no sparring whatsoever for the week leading up to the fight, ideally two weeks.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

More importantly, if he was hurt during sparring, why was that taking place so close to the fight? There should be no sparring whatsoever for the week leading up to the fight, ideally two weeks.
    The FA recommend that anyone with a concussion doesn't resume playing for 19 days after a concussion. Granted, it's a different sport but I'd imagine in boxing's case the recovery time are as long, if not longer. There's a chance that it could've occurred in sparring over 2 weeks from the fight.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

The FA recommend that anyone with a concussion doesn't resume playing for 19 days after a concussion. Granted, it's a different sport but I'd imagine in boxing's case the recovery time are as long, if not longer. There's a chance that it could've occurred in sparring over 2 weeks from the fight.

But for it to be so visibly apparent would suggest it was either very severe or much more recent. Neither of which are good 
  • Options
    NLA, obviously you will be more in the know about what happens behind the scenes than myself, but I feel at the moment you are putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

I feel that many people both overrated Joshua's ability, and underrated Ruiz's. The narrative that this was one of the biggest upset in boxing history is purely media created, and in my opinion very wide of the mark. It's not like Joshua has cruised his way through the heavyweight division without any trouble, and Ruiz has only lost one fight to Parker (which many believed he won).

Was Joshua concussed? Yeah I believe so. However only after he took a big counter shot to the temple going for the knock out. I feel like he never really recovered from this, and although Joshua looks the fitter man I believe Ruiz had much more stamina and energy going into the mid rounds, and he used to this and his ability to take AJ's shots to get on the inside and swarm him with volume.

Listen to the Dave Allen interview on IFL there were many people saying the same at the venue and the weird stuff he was saying in the corner as early as the second rd , I reckon he said some weird bits at the end of rd 1 , I would put a quite healthy wedge that AJ got sparked last week in camp prob as late as Thursday (which is shocking no sparring should happen that week ) 

it will all come out someone will blink and break file first when they reckon they are going to  be thrown under the bus 

my bet is RM and EH will lose AJ 

A few days before a world title fight ?
    By then you would only be doing fitness work. The risk of an injury would be too great. Anyone who laid a glove on a world champ days before in the gym would be sacked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NLA, obviously you will be more in the know about what happens behind the scenes than myself, but I feel at the moment you are putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

I feel that many people both overrated Joshua's ability, and underrated Ruiz's. The narrative that this was one of the biggest upset in boxing history is purely media created, and in my opinion very wide of the mark. It's not like Joshua has cruised his way through the heavyweight division without any trouble, and Ruiz has only lost one fight to Parker (which many believed he won).

Was Joshua concussed? Yeah I believe so. However only after he took a big counter shot to the temple going for the knock out. I feel like he never really recovered from this, and although Joshua looks the fitter man I believe Ruiz had much more stamina and energy going into the mid rounds, and he used to this and his ability to take AJ's shots to get on the inside and swarm him with volume.

Listen to the Dave Allen interview on IFL there were many people saying the same at the venue and the weird stuff he was saying in the corner as early as the second rd , I reckon he said some weird bits at the end of rd 1 , I would put a quite healthy wedge that AJ got sparked last week in camp prob as late as Thursday (which is shocking no sparring should happen that week ) 

it will all come out someone will blink and break file first when they reckon they are going to  be thrown under the bus 

my bet is RM and EH will lose AJ 

A few days before a world title fight ?
    By then you would only be doing fitness work. The risk of an injury would be too great. Anyone who laid a glove on a world champ days before in the gym would be sacked.
    I was going to mention this. Isint all heavy sparring finished with a week or more before a fight? They often use the word 'tapering' down during that period.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Longer surely, if you're going to be repeatedly punched in the head.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    bobmunro said:

Lennox Lewis agrees with you.

Lennox Lewis believes 'AJ' should sack Rob McCracken as his trainer.

"I say you can't go to university with your third-grade teacher. They won't have the answers you need at that level. You need a professor by then,"

"McCracken is A1 without question but maybe not the fit for the style AJ needs to fight. I switched to Manny Steward who understood how to leverage all of my physical attributes and skills and showed me everything I needed to know for success."

"He (McCracken) may not be right for the type of style that AJ needs to master. Aside from that AJ was not prepared for anything Ruiz brought to table."

• Options
    Im all for conspiracy theories and a bit of goss.
    But could it be a combination of genuine reasons...that maybe AJ hadn't trained to fight the tub of lard that beat him (styles make fights etc), he took Ruiz to lightly (no pun intended), remember these are powerful guys and all in the top ten (barring Fury) have a dig and can roll anyone over given the chance. 
    I think its all the above, add in that AJ got smacked in the third and his bell was rung, and couldn't deal with Ruiz hand speed and inside work because maybe he was concussed from the 3rd round knock down, also I think that AJ wanted to spark Ruiz, so once he realise that Ruiz was gonna fight him all the way he didn't have the nous to box and move and take him on points.

I think when they have the rematch, it will be a different fight. The sign of a great boxer/fighter is when they come back after losing.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    But could it be a combination of genuine reasons...that maybe AJ hadn't trained to fight the tub of lard that beat him (styles make fights etc), he took Ruiz to lightly (no pun intended), remember these are powerful guys and all in the top ten (barring Fury) have a dig and can roll anyone over given the chance. 
    I think its all the above, add in that AJ got smacked in the third and his bell was rung, and couldn't deal with Ruiz hand speed and inside work because maybe he was concussed from the 3rd round knock down, also I think that AJ wanted to spark Ruiz, so once he realise that Ruiz was gonna fight him all the way he didn't have the nous to box and move and take him on points.

I think when they have the rematch, it will be a different fight. The sign of a great boxer/fighter is when they come back after losing.
    I don't think AJ is a great boxer - too limited defensively. He might improve with a different trainer but the Ruiz defeat and the nature of it is alarming.
  • Options
    Joshua got found out big time, exposed by a fat mexican. Joshua has got worse the last few fights, he's engine is the biggest factor he was gassing after the 2nd round
    If the rematch was made i would fancy fat joe to do a job on joshua again unless he can get him out in the first coupel of rounds
  • Options
    Needs less muscle for starters. When a 19 stone fat Mexican has better endurance than you... you're doing something wrong 
  • Options

My opinion of Joshua hasn't really changed, he beat some good guys and can do so again. The second coming of Jesus Christ though he is not, despite what Sky may want you to believe.

He has flaws, as do the other top guys in the division and they are all beatable.

Was he hurt/concussed in sparring, maybe. However all sorts of things occur in training camps, how do we know Ruiz had a perfect camp.

He had his man down, went in for the kill recklessly and got cracked on the temple. he never recovered from that. His tactics were all wrong from the first bell though.

Interesting to see what happens next.

• Options
    elcafc said:
    Greenie said:

The comment re Fury not having a dig is laughable, if you think a 6 foot 9 250lbs plus man isn't capable of hurting someone then you are very mistaken.

Fury doesn't sit down on his punches, he largely boxes off the back foot using scoring shots and lots of movement.

He hurt Wilder in the 1st and 12th of their fight, he hurt Klitschko late in their fight (although this was after a break) and has a 70% KO ratio. hardly Paulie Malignaggi!

Its all relative @el@elcafc, compared and relative to other fighters in the heavies Fury doesn't have that dig. 
    Yes one of his jabs would flatten me no doubt but im not a heavy.
    You kind of agreed with it yourself as well, because of the way Fury boxes, 'off the back foot using scoring shots and lots of movement.'
    So I stand by my comment.