Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ostrava

Anyone been?

Looking for a cheap lads away trip and Ryanair are doing return flights for £35.00.

Not going to be a cultural experience!

Comments

• Yes mate, recommend it - the birds are filth.
  • Czech girls are something else
  • In case my wife is reading this, we are going for the beer dear!
  • It's the country's version of Middlesbrough. Steel city, coal mines nearby. Not a pretty place. Has a reputation for hard partying but I have the feeling that Stodolni street, where it all is supposed to happen, has become a bit cliched and overdone.
  • edited March 2016

In case my wife is reading this, we are going for the beer dear!

He's lying Mrs Snide - he's going to go on boozed up sex crazed escapade, that knows no boundaries. Make sure he has the correct tests on his return.
  • It's the country's version of Middlesbrough. Steel city, coal mines nearby. Not a pretty place. Has a reputation for hard partying but I have the feeling that Stodolni street, where it all is supposed to happen, has become a bit cliched and overdone.

Yeah, my Google searching suggested it was a bit "rough" around the edges.

Also looking at Brno. Any thoughts?
  • My old company sent me out there for a week back in 2003. It felt more like 1953.
    I hated it, the whole place, to me, had a make do and mend attitude. But at the time, I hated the job, I was being made redundant, my father was dying and my company had sent me to the arse end of Europe to a company that made door closers. So my view of the place may be a little clouded.
    The grayest place I have ever had the misfortune to be but the lager and food was cheap.
    I'd rather have a weekend in Margate

Yeah, my Google searching suggested it was a bit "rough" around the edges.

Also looking at Brno. Any thoughts?
    Well Brno is the Moravian capital and has a bit more charm, is less rough. Moravians are more friendly than Prague people - especially if you tell them that. To my shame I must confess I haven't visited either city for years, but if you decide to give it a go I can ask my friends in the marketing teams of the two big breweries for tips on the nightlife. It's their job to know.

• I can only echo what Prague's said here. Brno is a much nicer city, Ostrava is a bit of a dump to be honest and the only place I've been in Czech Republic where I've thought things could kick off. There were a lot of Polish skinheads there when I went. But the nightlife is pretty good. And the women ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Haven't been to Ostrava but if you could fly there and head to Olomouc I would really recommend that. It's a fantastic Czech old town, like a smaller version of Prague. As it's a university town, the nightlife is fantastic. Craziest bar I have ever been to was there: an old Soviet aeroplane converted into a club with the DJ in the cockpit!
  • Mates of mine go to a low key rock n roll weekender in Brno, they love the place and the people.
  • Have a person in work who is married to Czech woman.Asked his opinion on Ostrava. Response...."ever been to Grimsby?" "The woman are the one saving grace" so you should be alright Clem.
  • Haven't been to Ostrava but if you could fly there and head to Olomouc I would really recommend that. It's a fantastic Czech old town, like a smaller version of Prague. As it's a university town, the nightlife is fantastic. Craziest bar I have ever been to was there: an old Soviet aeroplane converted into a club with the DJ in the cockpit!

I did think about recommending Olomouc, it is a really nice place, one place I have been to a couple of times recently. but it isn't that big. Maybe 100k max. You could easily reach it from Brno as well as Ostrava.