Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conspiracy Theory time

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
I had expected Man Utd to play a weakened side on Sunday after playing their full side last night, due to not wanting to hand Chelsea a psycological boost before the cup final. But Fergie played his reserves and still got a result!

Anyway I now think that they will be full strength to collect their trophy and if they play as champions they will beat West Ham. If they do put a two or three past the Claret and Blue, what odds on the bottom clubs extracting their revenge and the Blades allowing Wigan to win?

Thus sending the Hammers down?

Comments

• Options
    I think it depends on the United score at the time. If United are only winning by 1 goal then the chances are unlikely, as a Wigan win and a West Ham Win/Draw would send Sheffield United down (as far as I'm aware.

If United are 3 or 4 goals up then I wouldn't be surprised on Warnock reading Jewell the Old Pals Act, and doing them a favour.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, great theory, much more difficult to actually make happen when neither Sheff U or Wigan will know their fate until the end of the game. If Manure are a few goals up in the game early on, you could see something but it's hard to "throw" a game and be convincing. Colin is very unlikely to send his troops out with anything other than the desire to win.
  • Options
    Warnock and Jewell hate each other
  • Options
    Yeah as I see it if it is all over at "The Theatre of Dreams" then cue some none existing defending from the Blades and the fact that revenge is a bitch
  • Options
    Much rather have Wigan go down than West ham. As has been said on here before west ham going down with us decreases our chances of going back up.
  • Options
    People forget that West Ham are actually playing really well at the moment, I think they have 6 wins out of 8 (Christ, would we not kill for that kind of form) and they have the on-form player in the league in Tevez. They'll be fired up and launching into everything and I am confident they will get a draw.
  • Options
    There was talk of SU WA delaying kick off on purpose in order that they new the result
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]There was talk of SU WA delaying kick off on purpose in order that they new the result
    That happened in a Coventry game once i think, uproar!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think it's a very real possibility. I don't think it will be at Warnock-Jewell level either, more likely to be instigated at higher level - after all, Mr Whelan hasn't exactly hidden his displeasure has he? Warnock and Jewell may well hate each other but they're both united in one thing - staying in the prem.

Unless something really major happened, I'm not sure a KO delay is on the cards either as all games are on Sunday and Sky will call the shots as they do with all games they televise.

If both teams keep it level throughout the game, it wouldn't be too difficult to influence the result with some subs and clever reorganisation should news come through that Man u are a couple of goals up late in the game.

I'm just glad we're out of it so we can concentrate on preparing for next season...up the hamsters!
  • Options
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Wigan and Sheff Utd are trying to take the moral high ground here. If they organise a stitch up they will be sinking to the level of cheating to rectify what they see as a cheat. This just won't happen but it makes a good conspiracy theory. If by some chance the outcome is that West Ham do go down, I wonder what action the Hamsters will try to take if they suspect a fix?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suspect that even if they suspect a fix, they won't do anything about the suspects as the original ruling itself was...well...suspect!
  • Options
    lol!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Two wrongs don't make a right. Wigan and Sheff Utd are trying to take the moral high ground here. If they organise a stitch up they will be sinking to the level of cheating to rectify what they see as a cheat. This just won't happen but it makes a good conspiracy theory. If by some chance the outcome is that West Ham do go down, I wonder what action the Hamsters will try to take if they suspect a fix?

Was thinking the same thing myself, it's interesting that the two most vocal on west ham, are now wigan and sheff utd, fulham have gone very quiet now they know they are safe.

I heard the Sheff Utd chief exec claiming he is for action as it is about principal that the premier league have not acted correctly.
    So if West Ham are relegated on Sunday, I trust the 4 clubs will still pursue this action as west ham will have still not been docked points?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I suppose if you are into conspiracy theories and you believe that most clubs in the prem think that West Ham have got away with it, you could add Liverpool into the equation. Fulham needed a win and Liverpool obliged by dropping 9 first team players. That's ok until you look at the chances that Liverpool made against Fulham. If Fowler wasn't so wasteful they would have won that game easily.

As regards the legal action, I think there is intent to take some form of action but it does depend on there being a reasonable chance of success and who goes down. If Wigan go down, I think Whelan will examine all legal avenues even if those avenues are cul de sacs. If its Sheff Utd, they may piss and moan but will probably let it drop after a little while.

For my part I cannot see much chance of success in overturning the decision unless evidence emerges that there was a pre-determined outcome and/or the Commission acted prejudiciously. For that to happen, somebody from the inside is going to have to blow the whistle.

Its possible for a club to bring an action directly against West Ham for breach of utmost good faith in failing to disclose contracts which were material to the signing of the player. I do not know whether the FAPL rules allow for one club to sue another in this way.

The courts will be very reluctant to intervene in what they see as something that is within the competance of the Football Authorities to resolve.

I have already said that I think the best resolution of this is to recognise that the balance of fairness of this decision has been erroneously applied and to lobby all premier league teams to press for the FAPL to rectify that by agreeing that the 18th placed team will not be relegated.(Unless its West Ham of course.) That will balance things out. For the future they should make the punishment for breaking the rules and automatic minimum three points deduction.