Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Marks: Charlton v Middlesbrough

Comments

• Pope - 8 kept a clean sheet vs Jordan Rhodes. How many Charlton keepers of late have been able to say that? Some great saves. Claimed crosses with ease and was just reassuring. 2 clean sheets in a row. Should wear number 1 next season IMO.

Motta - 5.5 he wasn't awful but he was the weak link. Too many risks. I do feel that this is also due to not having a lot of support from JBG but Solly is the better RB.

Teixeira - 8 took his goal well. Very important goal as well. Showed fighting spirit and seems to work well with Fanni.

Fanni - 8 very assured. The defence as a whole kept a very very strong Middlesbrough defence quiet. Good work. Tried hard to score an own goal.

Fox - 8.5 blocked a lot and dealt with their winger very well. Best performance this season for me. Shows theirs a player there... Hopefully he finishes the season strongly. The fans forget he's still only 22 years old.

Berg Gudmundsson - 7 better performance. Showed more spirit today. I don't think he appreciated the protests though. Couple of good shots.

Diarra - 8 was an anchor in that midfield and kept things right. His experience will be vital for the rest of the season.

Cousins - 9 MOM big time. The guy didn't stop running. Captains performance. Led by example. We will be lucky to keep him next season.

Suk-Young - 7 done okay on the left. Helped Fox out by covering.

Harriott - 8 I hope it was fatigue that got him subbed and not a muscle injury. Another player who wants to do well. He needs to sign a contract. Took his goal well.

Lookman - 6.5 I am glad he didn't have a good game in front of the cameras as it can only help us in the long run. I feel as if the protests may have got to him slightly today. Still young and inexperienced. Works well with Harriott but I feel he does need those flick ons to really cause damage to defences.

I hope the players actually understand that the ongoings off of the pitch are not directed at them. Cousins told the sky sports man that it was sad for them to see what was going on. The team have my 100% support.

MK Dons was an opportunity missed. Huge opportunity missed.
  • SDAddick said:

Watched on BeIn Sport stream with no commentary.

Pope - 9 Quick off his line on two or three occasions, made good saves, distribution is improving, two clean sheets in three starts, still only 24. His shirt to lose

Motta - 3 I really thought he'd end up being a stand-out signing but was awful today. The chipped balls to the edge of the box make me worry he sees people the rest of us don't. Defensively non-existant.

Teixeira - 7 Distribution was dodgy at times-he's good on the ball but gets too comfortable. The goal was excellent and felt like it really meant something to him.

Fanni - 9 Reads the game really well, seemed to be everywhere on the cover and that was despite Motta being awful. Got a bit of luck with his bullet header coming off Pope's feet, but no more than he deserved.

Fox - 9 MOTM - Am I watching a different player than the rest of you? Blocked six crosses by my count. Was first to the loose ball on the six yard line in the first half prevent a goal. Remember all those attacks that came down our left from Downing, Gaston, and Nsue (quality Championship players)? Me neither. Had two or three nice touches as well.

Berg Gudmundsson -8- Didn't get the space he needs to truly dominate, but looked to get his head up and interchange every time he got the ball. Two assists.

Diarra - 6 - Solid. A man who has so much leg and yet has clearly lost his legs. Makes us a better team even if he isn't the most visible on the pitch.

Cousins - 8 - A good captains performance, though I felt nothing quite came off for him. Still hassled, harried, got up and down the pitch and won the ball back very well at times. Still only 21, and room for improvement, I think he got MOTM on his workrate more than ability.

Suk-Young - 7 - Tornante, or "returner" in Italian. Got up and back as left winger and right wing back. Has some ability, probably an upgrade on Bergdich in that position. Did everyerthing that was asked.

Harriott - 7 - I spent the first 60 minutes noting that when the ball went up to him it never stuck, and when he did get the ball things didn't quite come off. Not his fault as he's not really a center forward, but he kept working and got his goal by wanting it more. Massive credit to him.

Lookman - 5 - Showed both his immense potential, and why he's not been a first team regular. Looked exhausted after 40 minutes. Worked hard and was asked to hold play up which isn't really his forte, but had some clever touches and clever runs. He'll have plenty of better days.

Reza - 6 - Worked hard and should have won us our first penalty of the season

Bergdich - Managed to make two terrible decisions on the ball despite only touching it three times of note.

Lennon - Quality beard.

You were watching the same game as me, Morgan Fox had a superb game.
  • Pope - 8
    Motta - 6
    Teixeira - 7.5
    Fanni - 8
    Fox - 8
    Berg Gudmundsson - 6.5
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 9
    Suk-Young - 7.5
    Harriott - 8
    Lookman - 6.5
  • 0-74min only

Pope - 7
    Motta - 6.5
    Teixeira - 7.5
    Fanni - 6
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 6.5
    Cousins - 8
    Suk-Young - 7.5
    Harriott - 7
    Lookman - 6.5
  • Pope - 7; Better, more commanding game, with decent distribution too
    Motta - 6; Couldn't get forward much and defended manfully
    Teixeira - 8; Kept Rhodes chained and used ball well - scored too!
    Fanni - 8; Solid and looking good now match fit
    Fox - 6.5; Couple of errors but plenty of decent tackles, very unlucky to be booked
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7; Much better game from the right, with him always looking to be involved
    Diarra - 6.5; Still not fit but did what he could very well
    Cousins - 7.5; passing awful. Dribbling great. Tackling immense. Heart never in question
    Suk-Young - 6; Got better as game progressed
    Harriott - 7.5; Ran his heart out and gave everything, topped off with his goal
    Lookman - 5.5; Paced himself for some reason, but does have that what will he do next that scares the oppo

Altogether much better, with Riga getting the substitutions right too.

Ref was weird, consulting with Sky chap about whistles, but then played on and tried not to blow his (despite a few obvious fouls) for the next ten minutes!
  • Pope - 7
    Motta - 6
    Teixeira - 7
    Fanni - 7
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 6
    Diarra - 8
    Cousins - 8
    Suk-Young - 6
    Harriott - 7
    Lookman - 6
  • I have to say that the few who marked Fox as the lowest mark or joint lowest in the team should start watching the match. I am seriously tempted to flag.
  • masicat said:

I have to say that the few who marked Fox as the lowest mark or joint lowest in the team should start watching the match. I am seriously tempted to flag.

Agreed, anyone who gave motta a higher mark than fox needs an eye test pronto
  • Pope - 8 Solid game. Had some problems with crosses, but was being deliberately blocked off by a Boro player. (This happens a lot in professional football nowadays. What happened to good old fashion "obstruction"?) Also often there were an awful lot of bodies in the box, if he had come charging out. Came quickly out on the couple of occasions it was required. Extra +1 for one of the most remarkable saves I've ever seen at The Valley...

Motta - 6.5 Also solid. So much better going forward than Solly. Tires late on, which is why he tends to get caught out of position. Will get better as his fitness improves.

Teixeira - 7 Proper centre back. No nonsense, no holds barred. Has been threatening to score his last few games, and got it right this time. How something that big can become invisible in the opposition box is beyond me...

Fanni - 7 Again, very solid. Still has enough pace from his full back days, to cover an occasionally AWOL "Jake". Late on, one superb tackle, that he got back on his feet, stopped from going out of play, and distributed to a Charlton player.

Fox - 8 Would have been MOTM, but for a truly remarkable performance by another "one of our own". Never let a cross in from his side, unless the opposition cheated, won header after header, and showed great discipline.

Berg Gudmundsson - 6 Still not doing enough for me, when you look at what he did last season. Still, got a couple of shots away, and at least his corners cleared the first defender for a change...

Diarra - 7 I commented to my mate, that after an hour he had become "a rolling roadblock, which didn't roll." Absolutely dead on his feet, and became a third centre back. However, been around the block, sees the danger, and wins more than his fair share of headers. Keep him fit for the rest of the season, and we may have a "puncher's chance."

Cousins - 9 MOTM. Was there only one of him on the pitch? With Diarra doing an excellent job sitting, was given free rein to cover the rest of the park. And, boy, did he deliver! In the second half, Motta was caught out of position, and Boro attacked quickly down their left. The attack was stopped by a thunderous tackle by a Charlton red shirt. I then did a double take when I saw it was Jordan, who had been on the edge of the opposition box when the move broke down. Yes, sometimes his passing may go astray, but usually when he's trying to make something happen. Make no mistake, this was one of the most dominating displays of midfield play you will see at The Valley. The next Mark King Ella? High praise, indeed!

Suk-Young - 7 Unsung hero, who showed great discipline. Helped out Fox in the first half, which I think is helping Morgan's confidence, and then, when Motta tired, moved over to cover the right side. I think he is repressing his own game, for the good of the team. And, for that, he deserves fulsome praise.

Harriott - 6.5 Classic Cal performance. When he's good, he is very good, but still prone to the odd cock-up. Chased and harried very well though, and the goal was entirely down to his never-say-die attitude. I thought he didn't have an injury, it was cramp, so hopefully no long term ill effects.

Lookman - 6 Tried, but nothing much came off. Had to cover a lot of ground when harrying the Boro back 4, and tired badly. But we know what Ade can do, so an average game is perfectly acceptable for the young man.
  • Pope - 8
    Motta - 7
    Teixeira - 7.5
    Fanni - 8
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7.5
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 8.5
    Suk-Young - 8
    Harriott - 8.5
    Lookman - 7
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2016
    Pope - 8.5
    Motta - 6.5
    Teixeira - 7
    Fanni - 7
    Fox - 8.5
    Berg Gudmundsson - 6.5
    Diarra - 7.5
    Cousins - 9 MOTM
    Suk-Young - 6.5
    Harriott - 7
    Lookman - 6.5
  • bazjonster said:
    » show previous quotes

You have to question the blinkered marking of Fox sometimes. If Fox was a 6 then Motta was a 4 along with the Suk-Young fella. People really need to take their blinkers off sometimes!!!
    In fairness Jensenwasclass did come back a couple of messages later, saying that he meant to put in an 8 for Fox...

Thank you NornIrishAddick
    Good to see some people read ALL the comments.
    None so blind as those that won't see!
  • Pope - 8
    Motta - 5
    Teixeira - 7.5
    Fanni - 7
    Fox - 7.5
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 8.5
    Suk-Young - 7
    Harriott - 7
    Lookman - 6.5
  • Pope - 7
    Motta - 7
    Teixeira - 8
    Fanni - 8
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 6.5
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 7.5
    Suk-Young - 7
    Harriott - 7.5
    Lookman - 6.5
  • Pope - 7 - Great reflex save from Fanni, apart from a couple of spills and a crazy attempt to claim a corner was very solid and deserves his place in the side

Motta - 6 - Offered an attacking outlet, but otherwise seemed anonymous for large parts of the game.

Teixeira - 8 - Solid no nonsense defender, gave Rhodes no space and finally showed us what he can do in the oppositions box.

Fanni - 7 - Grew into the game, and shows us that we can play the ball out from the back.

Fox - 8 - Great performance, blocked everything and did everything asked of him. Perhaps feeling more confident with Suk-Young in front of him

Berg Gudmundsson - 7 - Another assist, and always our most threatening player which is why he is never given much space.

Diarra - 7 - Had Ramirez in his pocket first half, before fading away in the second. What he lacks in pace (never though I would see someone slower than ajdarevic on a football pitch) he makes up in pure football intelligence.

Cousins - 9 - Not seen a performance like this from Jordan in a while. Absolutely everywhere, it's a sight to behold watching him drive the team forwards from midfield, and then chasing all the way back to make a last ditch tackle.

Suk-Young - 7 - Really like this guy, a quietish performance, but I feel we are more solid and balanced with him in the team.

Harriott - 9 - Never stopped running, a constant nuisance and deserved his goal.

Lookman - 6 - Didnt quiet come off for him today, but always scared defenders when he gets the ball facing the goal.
  • Pope - 8
    Motta - 6
    Teixeira - 8
    Fanni - 8 really starting to form a good partnership with Tex, 1 goal conceded in 3 matches
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 8
    Suk-Young - 7.5
    Harriott - 8
    Lookman - 6
  • edited March 2016
    Oh, and Reza's run should have earned a penalty - did the referee play an advantage? - but led to the goal anyway. It was a very good cameo
  • Pope - 7 Didn't looked that troubled all day.
    Motta - 6 lost ball too much leaving him out of position. Worst of the back 4 today.
    Teixeira - 7.5 didnt put a foot wrong.
    Fanni - 7.5 As with Teixeira. Forming a good understanding.
    Fox - 7 look solid.
    Berg Gudmundsson 6.5 Flashes of brilliance. But not doing it enough. Wish Harriot had his touch!
    Diarra - 7 Makes everything look so simple. Obviously still not fully fit but gave Cousins licence today.
    Cousins - 8.5 Full of energy and got back to getting forward today. No coincidence Diarra was in there with him
    Suk-Young - 7 Full of running and works hard
    Harriott - 7.5 worked hard and got his goal. Once the ball is under control he is a big threat its the getting it under control thats the big problem.
    Lookman - 6.5 Didnt really come off for him today but you always get the feeling of a threat when he is near the ball. Will have better days.

Reza - n/a,
    Bergdich - n/a
    Lennon - n/a

• Pope - 7
    Motta - 5
    Teixeira - 7
    Fanni - 7
    Fox - 6
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 8
    Suk-Young - 5
    Harriott - 7
    Lookman - 5

Reza - n/a,
    Bergdich - n/a
    Lennon - n/a

• however you watched the match today, including those who walked out at 74mins, your marks please:

Pope - 7
    Motta - 6
    Teixeira - 7
    Fanni - 7
    Fox -7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 7.5
    Cousins - 8
    Suk-Young - 6
    Harriott - 7.5
    Lookman - 7

Marks based on the first 74 minutes.

Reza - n/a,
    Bergdich - n/a
    Lennon - n/a

• Sponsored links:

• Pope - 8 (Did everything he could with ease and composure really commanding his box well still got plenty of years to develop)
    Motta - 6.5 (Bit of a odd one stuck to the task, his positioning and fitness is questionable and wasted possession a fair bit but did a ok job)
    Teixeira - 8 (He cleared the ball out every time, great header for the goal only thing is his long balls wasteful)
    Fanni - 8 (For his age covers ground quickly, he is still composed on the ball strong in the tackle he appeared to win everything in the air in our own box some dodgy headers)
    Fox - 8 (Positioning improved, didn't lose concentration one of his best games for the club some vital interceptions and clearances in the box which had to be made and he was 100% committed to winning his battles)
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7.5 (Still not showing his full quality, but made few key passes a perfect corner and got both his shots on target he had a positive impact overall)
    Diarra - 8 (Main Strength his tackling and breaking up play protecting the back 4 made a couple of vital blocks and wins the ball in the air in midfield)
    Cousins - 8.5 MOTM (Real Captains performance covered every blade of grass. His Tackles, Interceptions, clearances, dribbles had the most touches 85 and best of all was his accurate forward passing)
    Suk-Young - 7 (Did the basics well and worked hard for the team team looks stronger with him in and he has energy to burn some real pace)
    Harriott - 7.5 (Movement meant he was a constant threat, on the ball nothing seemed to work but he kept getting into good positions and his effort was rewarded. Really admire his work rate at the moment)
    Lookman - 6.5 (Didn't really get into the game but that could be down to service some neat link up play and pressed well)

Reza - n/a,
    Bergdich - n/a
    Lennon - n/a

Only weakness I saw was lack of communication between defenders when marking and picking up players on set pieces which allowed Middlesbrough some free attempts on goal sort that out and I think we will keep couple more clean sheets.
  • Pope - 8, I thought he commended his area well, came for crosses, one shot in second half he very intelligently parried to too his right, which gave the defence time to get back goal side, keep him on front of Hendo. Blocked Fanni's header.
    Motta - 7, I like this bloke, seems to genuinely care about playing for the club, sometimes does not release the ball quick enough in last third.
    Teixeira - 8, extra mark for the goal, did well and linked well with Fanni.
    Fanni - 7, did well, one howler which Pope cleared up. Getting better.
    Fox - 8.5, best game for a long time, looked confident, I think because he knew he had cover from Suk-Young. Made some great blocks as well.
    Berg Gudmundsson - 6, yes I know he had an assist, but think how many more he would have if he could cross a ball.
    Diarra - 8, again plays for the team, got an early booking, but still put in some great challenges.
    Cousins - 9, great energy and drove the team forward.
    Suk-Young - 8, I like this fella, loos like he wants to play for CAFC, linked well with Morgan.
    Harriott - 9.5, My MOM, learning to release the ball instead of trying to be a hero, great goal because unlike Reza he never gave up and followed his blocked shot. Pleased for him and grabbed the chance at playing Centre Forward with both feet.
    Lookman - 7.5, tough game for him, but his play with Ainsley very encouraging. Took two Borough defenders with him a lot of the time which gave Ainsley and JBG a bit more space.

Reza - n/a,
    Bergdich - n/a
    Lennon - n/a
  • Pope - 8
    Motta - 6
    Teixeira - 7
    Fanni - 7
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 6.5
    Diarra - 7.5
    Cousins - 8
    Suk-Young - 8.5 MOM
    Harriott - 8
    Lookman - 6.5
  • Pope - 7
    Motta - 5
    Teixeira - 6
    Fanni - 5
    Fox - 6
    Berg Gudmundsson - 2
    Diarra - 5
    Cousins - 7
    Suk-Young - 4
    Harriott - 6
    Lookman - 6

Reza - n/a,
    Bergdich - n/a no irony here!!
    Lennon - n/a
  • Pope - 7
    Motta - 7
    Teixeira -7
    Fanni -7
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 8
    Suk-Young - 7
    Harriott - 8
    Lookman - 7
  • Pope - 8
    Motta - 6
    Teixeira - 8
    Fanni - 7
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 8
    Suk-Young - 6
    Harriott - 7.5
    Lookman - 7

Riga - 8, did well with the players available to him

Reza - looked lively
    Bergdich - looked very lively but seemed to stop when he got near the box
    Lennon - didn't notice him
  • edited March 2016
    Pope - 7.5
    Motta - 6.5
    Teixeira - 7.5
    Fanni - 7
    Fox - 7.5
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 8
    Cousins - 8
    Suk-Young - 6
    Harriott - 7.5
    Lookman - 6.5
  • Rob7Lee said:

Pope - 7.5, still learning but potential.
    Motta - 6, not his best game, is it only me, but getting suspicious Solly is missing (along with Henderson & Jackson)
    Teixeira - 7
    Fanni - 7
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 9, best game for a loooooong time.
    Suk-Young - 6
    Harriott - 8
    Lookman - 7

Reza - 2 and thats being generous
    Bergdich - N/A
    Lennon - n/a

If Harriott & Lookman can learn to run across the line they'd get a lot of goals.

Why, out of interest?
    2's unfair he was more of a 6.

I just thing he is way out of his depth at this level. Has very little to offer, will more likely push the centre half and give away a free kick than actually challenge, I'd rather Church was back and that's saying something.
  • edited March 2016
    Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Pope - 7.5, still learning but potential.
    Motta - 6, not his best game, is it only me, but getting suspicious Solly is missing (along with Henderson & Jackson)
    Teixeira - 7
    Fanni - 7
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 7
    Cousins - 9, best game for a loooooong time.
    Suk-Young - 6
    Harriott - 8
    Lookman - 7

Reza - 2 and thats being generous
    Bergdich - N/A
    Lennon - n/a

If Harriott & Lookman can learn to run across the line they'd get a lot of goals.

Why, out of interest?
    2's unfair he was more of a 6.

I just thing he is way out of his depth at this level. Has very little to offer, will more likely push the centre half and give away a free kick than actually challenge, I'd rather Church was back and that's saying something.
    Fair enough, thanks for answering. I thought Reza was good yesterday. He played some lovely one-twos, created the space for Harriott's goal, actually won a header(!) and drove the ball up the pitch at the end. He also won us a corner right at the final whistle. I thought he did his job perfectly yesterday
  • Pope - 7
    Motta - 5 - disappointed.
    Teixeira - 8 - brilliant in both 6 yard boxes
    Fanni - 7 - best game so far
    Fox - 7
    Berg Gudmundsson - 7
    Diarra - 7 - Free's Jordan up and allows his brilliant energy - our best pairing for the run in
    Cousins - 8 MOM - Everywhere. Brilliant second half, though passing in the first was a little off.
    Suk-Young - 8 - BIG fan of his
    Harriott - 7
    Lookman - 6