Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***CARD Statement - Thursday 10th March***(Ed. Funeral March, 74th min walkout + more)

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

Why the funeral protest? What is the aim of it? It won't be on TV. It won't be seen or affect RD, KM or the players? I don't get it? It's basically just something to do before the game to 'entertain' those that are still going.

Walkout on 74th minute? again, what is the aim of this? Is it in the hope that sky will turn its cameras away from the game and focus on the fans leaving? Because I don't think that's gonna happen. Do you think KM will resign after some people have walked out? She couldn't give a shit if you leave early.

I know I'm going to be in the minority but taking action is only worthwhile when you have objectives, and I can't work out what they are?

Sky won't cover it ? Really ? You advocate a boycott but turning the question around, do you think Katrien gives a shit about that ?
    I think she would. But really a total boycott would be more to raise awareness of our plight and embarrass RD. An empty stadium and match played in utter silence as a result, live on Sky with just KM and her cronies to focus on would be humiliating....even more so if we actually won!
    But what makes you think a call for a complete boycott would succeed? You must have seen how many people are still buying stuff from the club shop and food/drink outlets, and how many just wander past the protests. Even if most fans are now sick of the regime and supportive of the protests a sizeable number of them just want to watch a game and have their usual match day routine.
    Just to clarify I was under the impression that we were still to buy things from the food outlets unless, specifically, told not to do so. I thought the whole aim of this was to make demand difficult to predict on a match by match basis which meant that managing stock levels would result in waste or turning away customers as there was nothing left to sell them?
  • Options

Will the walk-out time move as the inevitable goals fly past us?

If we are 17-0 down, it may never happen
  • Options
    I like this idea because it is impactful and involving. I'd stress that it makes lots of sense for people to predominantly wear black, not red, and urge CARD to promote this actively in advance. Perhaps everyone could also bring in a few black bin liners and cover up the empty red seats in the stadium with these? Maybe ask Mboro to join in and wear black too?

On a slightly more provocative note, can we put out an international arrest warrant for RD - wanted for murder?
  • Options
    braydex said:

seth plum said:

@braydex I think the objectives are easy to understand.
    1) Make the day memorable.
    2) Get the match abandoned.

Then that's fine. If the objective is to make the day memorable, i'm sure the funeral procession will contribute to that objective.

Carrying a coffin before the game and walking out on the 74th minute will not, however, get the match abandoned.

Therefore if these are CARD's official objectives one is very achievable. The other isn't. That's all im saying.
    I am not a CARD official.
    Both objectives are achievable, whether they happen is another matter.
  • Options
    We've missed a serious opportunity this morning to bring our protest to the masses on TV.

Boris is currently speaking for the "OUT" campaign from a logistics company's premises in Dartford and of course, Brussels is mentioned throughout his piece.

A " Roland Out" banner would not have gone amiss in the background .....
  • Options
    braydex said:

Davo55 said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

Why the funeral protest? What is the aim of it? It won't be on TV. It won't be seen or affect RD, KM or the players? I don't get it? It's basically just something to do before the game to 'entertain' those that are still going.

Walkout on 74th minute? again, what is the aim of this? Is it in the hope that sky will turn its cameras away from the game and focus on the fans leaving? Because I don't think that's gonna happen. Do you think KM will resign after some people have walked out? She couldn't give a shit if you leave early.

I know I'm going to be in the minority but taking action is only worthwhile when you have objectives, and I can't work out what they are?

Sky won't cover it ? Really ? You advocate a boycott but turning the question around, do you think Katrien gives a shit about that ?
    I think she would. But really a total boycott would be more to raise awareness of our plight and embarrass RD. An empty stadium and match played in utter silence as a result, live on Sky with just KM and her cronies to focus on would be humiliating....even more so if we actually won!
    But what makes you think a call for a complete boycott would succeed? You must have seen how many people are still buying stuff from the club shop and food/drink outlets, and how many just wander past the protests. Even if most fans are now sick of the regime and supportive of the protests a sizeable number of them just want to watch a game and have their usual match day routine.
    Again - I dont disagree. I am aware that a number of fans will attend no matter what. that's their choice. What i'm saying is that if there was a complete boycott it would be more effective - for reasons already stated.
    You're probably correct, but surely we have to deal with the art of the possible. No point in calling for a certain type of protest if everyone knows it's doomed to failure anyway.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

Just to clarify I was under the impression that we were still to buy things from the food outlets unless, specifically, told not to do so. I thought the whole aim of this was to make demand difficult to predict on a match by match basis which meant that managing stock levels would result in waste or turning away customers as there was nothing left to sell them?
    The level of uncertainty in their minds was certainly one of the aims of the commercial boycott day but I think many people also took that call as a signal to stop buying food and drink there completely in order to hit RD in the pocket. As far as I recall CARD never said it was a one off, or that people should use club outlets unless told otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

braydex said:

seth plum said:

@braydex I think the objectives are easy to understand.
    1) Make the day memorable.
    2) Get the match abandoned.

Then that's fine. If the objective is to make the day memorable, i'm sure the funeral procession will contribute to that objective.

Carrying a coffin before the game and walking out on the 74th minute will not, however, get the match abandoned.

Therefore if these are CARD's official objectives one is very achievable. The other isn't. That's all im saying.
    I am not a CARD official.
    Both objectives are achievable, whether they happen is another matter.
    Why will they call off the game if everyone walks out on the 74th minute and parade a coffin around the ground before kick off?
  • Options

Davo55 said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

This is exactly the stance of a couple of blokes I was talking to in Dartford last night. They are sick of the "stand up if you want them out" chants as it blocks their view of the pitch. They have no intention of joining in any protests as they just want to watch the game, win or lose. They don't like the regime and accept RD isn't in it for the football but they are just not interested in joining in.

Bless em!! Were they French or Italian?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Davo55 said:

braydex said:

braydex said:

This is exactly the stance of a couple of blokes I was talking to in Dartford last night. They are sick of the "stand up if you want them out" chants as it blocks their view of the pitch. They have no intention of joining in any protests as they just want to watch the game, win or lose. They don't like the regime and accept RD isn't in it for the football but they are just not interested in joining in.

Bless em!! Were they French or Italian?
    One forward and five reverse gears according to my old Dad in the last lot :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Set fire to the fan sofa

Flame retardant, need a blow torch.
    What about setting fire to anybody sitting on it?

*not a serious suggestion....unless Katrien or Murray are sitting on it.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Set fire to the fan sofa

Flame retardant, need a blow torch.
    What about setting fire to anybody sitting on it?

*not a serious suggestion....unless Katrien or Murray are sitting on it.
    Give @Goonerhater a shout :wink: .
  • Options
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    Can we find out who's sitting on the shitty fans sofa this Sunday...? Whoever you are, stand up and throw the f@cking cushions on the pitch!
  • Options
    Have they pulled online ticket sales for Sunday? We tried all evening and cannot get on website. Even if you do manage to get to ticket sales page, the Sunday game is not listed! We have bought tickets on Friday night before for Saturday games!! Sabotage?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nathan Prior, hmm I saw him last season at Brentford, first game of the season.

Was he on day release?
  • Options
    Pico said:

My dad told me a story that he was amoungst a group of Charlton fans who took a coffin on the train and into the ground when we played Newcastle in the 1947 FA Cup semi final. Newcastle were the red hot favorites so written on the coffin were the words "Here lies the body of Newcastle United"

We beat them 4-0 and went on to win the cup.

My Dad has since passed away so can any of the history buffs confirm this?

Richard Redden tells a slightly different story in his book Charlton Athletic 1905-1990:

"At the next home match on Good Friday the fans displayed the souvenirs and staged a mock funeral procession around The Valley pitch carrying a coffin draped in black, preceded by a banner with the inscription "Here lies the body of Newcastle United"
    Thanks for clearing that up pico, I always knew my old man was a lying bastard :smile:
  • Options

Was he on day release?

I thought I saw him the day the U21s played Bromley,he got on the 314 bus i was on :(
  • Options

Was he on day release?

Perhaps that's the only day he managed to get off from wor.... oh fuck it, nevermind.
  • Options
    Just had a look at Nathan's twitter feed :open_mouth:
    The kid's a total fruit loop!
  • Options

Just had a look at Nathan's twitter feed :open_mouth:
    The kid's a total fruit loop!

Being useless in life, particularly the IT front, I can confirm that this dude needs to sort the hair lip out.

Glad my eyesight is ok with the aid of glasses.
  • Options

Pico said:

My dad told me a story that he was amoungst a group of Charlton fans who took a coffin on the train and into the ground when we played Newcastle in the 1947 FA Cup semi final. Newcastle were the red hot favorites so written on the coffin were the words "Here lies the body of Newcastle United"

We beat them 4-0 and went on to win the cup.

My Dad has since passed away so can any of the history buffs confirm this?

Richard Redden tells a slightly different story in his book Charlton Athletic 1905-1990:

"At the next home match on Good Friday the fans displayed the souvenirs and staged a mock funeral procession around The Valley pitch carrying a coffin draped in black, preceded by a banner with the inscription "Here lies the body of Newcastle United"
    Thanks for clearing that up pico, I always knew my old man was a lying bastard :smile:
    They could have taken the same Coffin to St James' Park before hand. This proves they had one!