Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which positions would you spend our transfer budget on?

If we assume Bent is going, ditto the loanees, and we clear out the rubbish (Hreidarsson [past it unfortunately], Hasselbaink, Lisbie, Faye, El K [we HAVE to get rid to stop him over hitting long balls for the whole of next season as well] Rommedahl [I think he'll leave]), we could have a decent transfer budget and space in the squad.

I reckon we desperately need a keeper, a defensive midfielder and two strikers, plus a right back if Young goes.

I think Marcus will stay because I'm not sure who'd want him, and I'm hopimng Diawara will stay, so:

New player
Young/New player, Diawara, Bougherra, Thatcher
Ambrose/Thomas, Holland, New Signing, Thomas/Reid

plus Dickson, Marcus and 2 new strikers.

Where would everyone else consider the 'priority areas'?

Comments

• Options
    Goalkeeper, Another right back, Another left back, an attacking centre midfielder, a left winger and 2 strikers.
  • Options
    This is difficult to properly identify until you know who is actually going & who is actually staying.

If Bent Stays (Darren not Marcus) I would say we only need one striker. The spine of the team will need looking at, particularly in centre midfield where we have been short for a few years now. A team with a strong spine will always do well, sort that out & we should be OK.
  • Options
    With Walton, Holland and Reid we have a good enough centre midfield for the championship. That though depends on Walton calming down a bit and Reid getting a good pre-season behind him
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]This is difficult to properly identify until you know who is actually going & who is actually staying.
    Exactly, and as you say centre midfield is where we really need to look at Hughes/Holland/Faye/Kish/Reid can all do a really good job in the Championship (especially Hughes I reckon) but doing a really good job is not the same as being good enough to finish in the top two - if there is one area we need an improvement on, it is this ... we really need some tough quality there. Song could maybe be up to it, if we could get him for another year - or just get him.
  • Options
    Ketman, I agree - I think we need to spend any big money on the keeper, centre mid and two stikers (or 1 if Bent stays), the other areas of the squads that need fleshing out (right back if Young goes, another centre mid, left back back up etc) can be loans as we're allowed 4 I think and they'll be some good ones available from the Prem if we do it well!
  • Options
    From the team above, I don't expect Young to be here, or Thomas....it also wouldn't surprise me if Holland and Ambrose go - maybe to the team that wins the play-offs...

I think that we'll be left with a couple of centre backs, a left back (Thatcher) and maybe a Reid / Hughes central midfield combo...and then Marcus and Super Kev.... In short, I reckon we'll need a whole new team...arse.
  • Options
    welcome to the site Neil.

lets get one thing right now, we will not be spending big money this summer. we did last year and are still paying for it, plus we will have a £20m+ shortfall to fill. Expect a few creative long-term loan deals, but don't expect big money signings.

We have to get realistic sadly.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited May 2007
    I could see us getting Harewood and Eastwood up front, maybe Mullins in the middle. I think we might need a right back also and attacking midfielder, although still think this is Ambrose best position, never does it for me out wide. I think Young, Rommedahl, Faye, Thomas, both Bents, JFH, Kish, El Kak will all go.

I wouldn't mind betting that if Darren goes players may be part of any deal.

Will also need good keeper but pray that Carson may come back on loan...you never know.
  • Options
    I'd buy Healy from Leeds
  • Options
    I'd expect a premiership side to get Healy to be honest. Good enough for a lot of the teams in the bottom half of the prem
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't get me wrong I hope we do bounce straight back but I'm not as confidant as when we last went down.

When we went down last time we had a fairly youthful squad with even more good youngsters coming through, some money to spend and a squad full of hard working players who played for the shirt.

This time we have no money due to overspending and having to pay off and sign up managers last season. A lot of what I would call non-Charlton type players, which is exactly the type of player you need to get out of the Championship. As well as some old players that may not be up to it anymore. Also a youth system that for the last 8 or so years has failed to provide (in the eyes of the managers at the time anyway).
  • Options
    Bring back SUUUUUPPPERRRR MARTIN PRINGLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    All of them. No, seriously - I would.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WasCharleyOne[/cite]Bring back SUUUUUPPPERRRR MARTIN PRINGLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

"Super" Martin Pringle was studio guest for the Swedish coverage of the Sheffield U game the other week. The poor bloke wasn't having too good an afternoon as Helsingborg were simultaneously being beaten at home (each goal scored flashes up on the screen).

Prings made some very telling comments about the heart having left the club - I think. I never realised he could speak Swedish.
  • Options
    If it was me, I'd be looking at something like:

David Healy, David Connolly, Michael Chopra, Nathan Ellington up front
    Graham Kavanagh, Jason Koumas, Seyi Olofinjana in midfield
    Darren Purse, Claude Davis, Curtis Davies, Nyron Nosworthy, George McCartney, Danny Shittu at the back
    God knows in goal :)

Obviously not all of them - but that sort of player is what we should be aiming for.

At an absolute minimum we need a decent ball-winning centre midfielder (Walton will always be a liability) so I'd move heaven and earth to get Kavanagh - who I've always rated - to play alongside fat-arse Reid or (for the 28 or so games he won't play next year cos he'll be fucked) Holland.

Since El Kak would be useless in the championship and Diawara won't stay, we also need someone big and strong to play with Bougherra - my money would be on Shittu or Purse. We'll also need two full backs as Lukewarm will be joining the hamsters and Thatcher will spend more time suspended than he will playing, so maybe a swap deal for McCartney (provided he passes a medical) might be on the cards - he's an under-rated little player who reminds me of Mark Reid/Mark Bowen, both of whom were excellent full backs for us. Christ knows about Left Back - maybe Sankofa can fill in there, cos there's no way Hermann will be able to play a full season in the Chumpionship.

As for strikers - I'd love to believe Darren will stay, but can't see it, so we need two good quality championship forwards. Any of those listed would do a job at that level, my preference would be Healy or Chopra, both excellent at the lower level.

In goal, christ knows - at the moment I can only think of giving Randolph a go or (whisper it quietly...) Deeeeeeeeano :o)

I'm looking forward to seeing kids like Ashton, Arter and the like get a run out next season.
  • Options
    in terms of strikers we have to be looking at the likes of eastwood, harewood, cureton, sharp, varney, marlon king, chopra

midfielders - lee cook, matty jarvis, mullins, kightly (if wolves don't go up), scott sinclair, lee hendrie

defenders - billy jones

keepers - flahavan, myhill, richard wright
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]I could see us getting Harewood and Eastwood up front, maybe Mullins in the middle. .

Hmmm. Interesting comment. If Wham stay up and decide to make it big with new fantastic players then maybe Pards will get to his battlestations and snap up their rejects. He can tell them to stop behaving like a baby, that last Christmas it wasn't his choice to leave, that he thinks they're really the young guns. I reckon these players will see that we've now turned a different corner and that we're now the club fantastic. Go for it Pards!
  • Options
    Good call on Healy - I've been thinking the same. Can see us getting Mullins, and I think Harewood would be a great buy, but can see a Prem club getting him if he leaves.

Leroy Ambrose - unfortunately I think there's no way we'd get Curtis Davies. And isn't McCartney a left back?

To hthose who've said we won't spend big money, by 'big money' I meant £8m-10m odd, which is big for the Championship - think we should get £12m minimum for Bent, £2m for Young, say £2m for others combined, so £16m, and I think we'd put at least half back in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]If it was me, I'd be looking at something like:

David Healy, David Connolly, Michael Chopra, Nathan Ellington up front
    Graham Kavanagh, Jason Koumas, Seyi Olofinjana in midfield
    Darren Purse, Claude Davis, Curtis Davies, Nyron Nosworthy, George McCartney, Danny Shittu at the back
    God knows in goal :)

Len with respect Curtis Davies has far more better suitors than us after his signature. Claude Davis is not going to leave the PL unless Sheff Utd let him go.

For me I would sign

Scott Carson - he quite obviously wants to come - even if we got him on loan again - it wouldn't harm his England prospects IMHO

Sankofa is good enough for the CCC but we'd need a back up if Young goes. I honestly think Pardew will bring Konchesky back.

Centre half is where we are depserate - we need an horrible bastard there and Darren Purse would fit that bill, adam barrett at southend looked a good player a scored a few goals.

Players like Scott Sinclair (chelsea) chris eagles (man utd) lee cook (chelsea)

harewood i am convinced will be a charlton player nest season - not sure about Mullins he does'nt like us does after his Palace stint and I am sure he said as much once before when we were after him.
  • Options
    Lee Cooks at QPR, you maybe thinking of Jimmy Smith, who was on loan at QPR from Chelsea.

I'm sure I've read that Spurs and Man City are after Lee Cook though.