Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The West Ham row

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
According to Sky Sports News, nearly half the Premiership have come out in support for the other relegation threatened teams. What this means to us is anyone's guess, but perhaps crucial that we finish 18th?

It's clutching at straws, but surely the Premier League can't ignore half of it's member teams?

Comments

• Options
    the premierleague would like nothing more than a breakaway so they can have their fun with the big boys...
  • Options
    I was wondering when/weather we were going to have one last go at finishing 18th and staying up.

We're not talking about a breakaway - and top London clubs might join in if it means they can send West Ham down.

Is there supposed to be a joint statement from us and the other three before the weekend and the "final" table is decided? I assume we're allowing the dust to settle on Monday's result first?
  • Options
    we have been relegated, stop clutching at straws!

The Premier League found West Ham guilty of lying and cheating over the registration of West Ham's player of the year - that really should have been 10 points docked and it is a scandal that the PL have failed to exercise thier authority. All that said, we have not been good enough, and, I repeat:

we have been relegated, stop clutching at straws!
  • Options
    Justice will be West Ham filling the final relegation place by Wigan winning their last game & United beating West Ham. Don't agree with this appeals thing at all & makes us look bad in my opinion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Justice will be West Ham filling the final relegation place by Wigan winning their last game & United beating West Ham. Don't agree with this appeals thing at all & makes us look bad in my opinion.

i don't for one minute think by appealing we would get to stay up, nor do i think we should

i like the fact that charlton have thrown their names into the ring to support the fact that the decision was/is scandallous, the fact we've been relegated, i hope, has nothing to do with it, if we were 16th then i'd expect us to put our full support behind the other clubs that would be affected by this

we weren't directly disadvantaged by tevez and west ham, as we beat them with him in the team, but wigan have every right to be upset, whether they are relegated or stay up. and i think every team in the bottom half at least should support the decision for justice.

I don't believe it makes charlton look bad at all.
  • Options
    West ham going down with us will be a bad thing as they will be virtually guaranteed to go back up.
  • Options
    The best result for CAFC now, although grossly unfair, would be for Wigan to stay up, West Ham to be relegated and then docked points for NEXT season.

Chance, snowball, hell, etc, etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/article1764274.ece
    [cite]Posted By: The Times[/cite] West Ham has assured us that it has terminated the contract.
    ... but ...
    Kia Joorabchian, the businessman who owns the rights to Tévez, has said that he has not agreed to rip up the deal and that the striker, who has been instrumental in West Ham’s revival, only plays with his permission
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yep, I heard that it wasn't sorted out and wasn't allowed to play, he played versus wigan because of a good will gesture by his owners

thats so wrong! i can't believe they've been allowed to get away with it!!!

edited to say: its the premierleague at fault not west ham.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The Premier League are ******* *** *********** ***** ******** ****** ** * ******** **** ******* **** ****

­­

­­
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like you've been listening to the brummie voice in your 'ead saying "it's the hope that gets to you" it's only one more week and weather we finish 18th or 19th we should be in there. This is carrying on with a just cause (supported by Ferguson playing a Man U first team on saturday) Not clutching at straws or refusing to accept that 33pts is not good enough to stay up.

At this rate the Premier League will continue to develop their responses on a convenience basis and would probably dish out a few fines if faced with a refereeing scandal of Italian proportions rather than tackle a bigger club.

If they don't sort this and the weakened teams fiasco out then the Premier League is not the competition (with merit payments) they are selling worldwide and chickens will come home to roost
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    This is getting a little boring now.

There has never been an issue with tevez being registered as a west ham player, therefore he has never been registered illegally.
    There has also never been a problem with him not being owned by west ham as such, in much the same way there isn't a problem with liverpool not owning Mascherano.

The problem was the "3rd party influence" clause in the initial contract. This has now been ripped up, and the premier league are now satisfied with the situation.
    I think I am correct in saying the clause in question (3rd party influence) related to MSI being able to sell tevez in the transfer window giving west ham compensation if they did so.

As i've said before, the premier league have bottled it and have cocked up. Thats not our fault.

Regardless, with respect to all the whinging from other clubs, if you cannot get 40 points on the board in a season you should not really have any complaints if your relegated.
  • Options
    Selfishly I want West Ham to stay up, even with 3 points decuted we would go down, so move on, nothing to see
  • Options
    35 points would have kept you up for the last 3 seasons.you would have to be unlucky to go down with 42 points.
  • Options
    I'm with Suzy on this. Irrespective of the legality / illegality of the transfer, it has had NO EFFECT on our season. He didn't play in the West Ham home game and we stuffed them upon the return - we have very little to moan about and I just fear another "Chelsea Sandpit" scenario where we will just be portrayed as big-time whingers.
  • Options
    hmm...yes, fundamentally thats what i say, but i also think the premierleague are at fault for letting the situation get out of control.

however, there are plenty of unanswered questions that the premierleague have tried to sweep under the carpet. its not west hams fault, and i couldn't care less who stays or who comes down with us, the 3rd worst team in the prem whoever that may be, however, i do stick by the fact that there has been something dodgy going on, whether itt be by west ham, msl, or the premier league, that only came to light when mascharano left (and got to play for 3 clubs in a season? with special permission!!!) and then why when that transfer got sorted out did it take 3 more months for west ham to receive their punishment?

its nothing to do with charlton going down, we deserve to, its just sticking up for what is right in the premier league, i would expect all clubs to do the same.
  • Options
    The ironic thing is we have very taken little points off the teams in and around the relegation places.

Watford - Drew one, lost one
    Charlton - Won one, drew one
    Wigan - Won one, lost one
    Sheff U - Won one, lost one
    Fulham - drew both

In fact, the only game against any relegation rivals tevez had an effect on was away to wigan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]This is getting a little boring now.

There has never been an issue with tevez being registered as a west ham player, therefore he has never been registered illegally.
    There has also never been a problem with him not being owned by west ham as such, in much the same way there isn't a problem with liverpool not owning Mascherano.

The problem was the "3rd party influence" clause in the initial contract. This has now been ripped up, and the premier league are now satisfied with the situation.
    I think I am correct in saying the clause in question (3rd party influence) related to MSI being able to sell tevez in the transfer window giving west ham compensation if they did so.

As i've said before, the premier league have bottled it and have cocked up. Thats not our fault.

Regardless, with respect to all the whinging from other clubs, if you cannot get 40 points on the board in a season you should not really have any complaints if your relegated.

Just playing Devil's Advocate a bit here, but if it were not West Ham but another club that had done this and got the same punishment, how would you feel? Would you feel slightly aggrieved that they had got away with a percieved lighter punishment? If I were a WH fan, then right now I would be thinking "Phew, got away with that!".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]The ironic thing is we have very taken little points off the teams in and around the relegation places.

*ahem*!!?!??!?!
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]its nothing to do with charlton going down, we deserve to, its just sticking up for what is right in the premier league, i would expect all clubs to do the same.

your whole post, especially this above part is totally spot on.

Got shit all to do with us going down, its just not right, it may be boring now, but westham would of acted the same as the rest of the involved clubs for defo, infact its a shame it was west ham, we'd of had ol sir trev in the fa relegating the team that did it!! (Winky smiley thing before someone gets out there pram!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]The ironic thing is we have very taken little points off the teams in and around the relegation places.

*ahem*!!?!??!?!

The whole day was a blur, i thought we drew didn't we?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

*ahem*!!?!??!?!

The whole day was a blur, i thought we drew didn't we?

you're getting confused. MCS 'drew' on your back. you (west ham) indeed lost that game. sorry to break it to ya :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]
    Just playing Devil's Advocate a bit here, but if it were not West Ham but another club that had done this and got the same punishment, how would you feel? Would you feel slightly aggrieved that they had got away with a percieved lighter punishment? If I were a WH fan, then right now I would be thinking "Phew, got away with that!".

We have definitely got away with it, no denying that.

I would feel aggrieved but if we didn't win enough points we couldn't really grumble.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]its nothing to do with charlton going down, we deserve to, its just sticking up for what is right in the premier league, i would expect all clubs to do the same.

Got shit all to do with us going down, its just not right, it may be boring now, but westham would of acted the same as the rest of the involved clubs for defo, infact its a shame it was west ham, we'd of had ol sir trev in the fa relegating the team that did it!! (Winky smiley thing before someone gets out there pram!)

Sir trev works for the FA, totally seperate from the premier league sonny (winky smiley thing)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortain[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]

Sir trev works for the FA, totally seperate from the premier league sonny (winky smiley thing)

darn it :-)
  • Options
    The Premier League found that a club lied and cheated to them over the registration and ownership of a player (well two in this case). This is serious and points have been docked for much lesser offences by English clubs (Boro, AFC Wimbledon, Bury) - by not docking points in this instance the League are condoning lying and cheating.

We fully deserve to go down, not arguing otherwise. And it is much better for us if Wigan come down instead of West Ham, but I still think the Premier League have been scandalous in their light treatment of this offence. And in thier heel dragging.
  • Options
    I'm well bored of this topic and still cant get my head around it. How comes the bloke was still allowed to play if he's a sick bird? (ill-eagle) sorry about that.
    Its like someone getting fined for carrying a dangerous weapon and then being allowed to keep using it because they have already been fined. Dont get it.

But i really hope west ham stay up because i hate trying to compete with them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]The Premier League found that a club lied and cheated to them over the registration and ownership of a player (well two in this case). This is serious and points have been docked for much lesser offences by English clubs (Boro, AFC Wimbledon, Bury) - by not docking points in this instance the League are condoning lying and cheating.

We fully deserve to go down, not arguing otherwise. And it is much better for us if Wigan come down instead of West Ham, but I still think the Premier League have been scandalous in their light treatment of this offence. And in thier heel dragging.

As I understand it, the problem isn't with the registration or the ownership mate as i mentioned earlier in the thread. He's always been registered to play for west ham legally.

Agree about the heel dragging though.
  • Options
    The only way out now is for this season only, allow the team in 18th place to stay up. Three come up from Championship and then next season four go down. This is such a mess and although you can argue whether West Ham should have had points deducted the fact is they didn't. So give a life to the 18th Club.
  • Options
    Now that we are out the way I think I can safely say that

1. The whole thing stinks and West Ham should definitely have been docked points; but

2. I now hope they stay up as it would make our job next season a little easy in my view.