Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spanner MP inspired by CARD, gets response from Cameron!

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/prime-minister-david-cameron-warns-premier-league-ticket-prices

Clive Efford MP said: "Clubs are increasingly being run by businessmen who view fans as customers and do not appreciate the fact the passion they hold for their clubs lasts for a lifetime.
"The fans will be there for their club through thick and thin long after the current owners have moved on. As more and more wealthy businessmen eye up our football teams as means to make money the voice of fans needs to be heard more than ever."
- See more at: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/prime-minister-david-cameron-warns-premier-league-ticket-prices#sthash.aj5NO2ES.dpuf

Of course he's been paying attention to our posters. he would recognise the Valley Party graphics, as he was a Greenwich councillor in 1990. He still owes Steve Dixon 14,838 pints for that lost bet:-)

Seriously though, a good man, and one of football fans' best champions in Parliament.

Comments

• Labour MP , Spanner, and a good man !! -------- nah
  • He's my MP. He's a really good constituency man and the only reason I can currently see for voting labour.
  • Seriously though, a good man, and one of football fans' best champions in Parliament.

Yes, but he's been tabling questions more about ticket prices at other clubs rather than the fuckwit foreign owners such as ours. I hope he now concentrates his efforts on our situation now.
  • A Millwall supporting labour MP, I just shuddered.
  • Minds as wide as a pencil some of you.

Come on, we are just teasing you comrade!
  • Needs burning twice .
  • Seriously though, a good man, and one of football fans' best champions in Parliament.

Yes, but he's been tabling questions more about ticket prices at other clubs rather than the fuckwit foreign owners such as ours. I hope he now concentrates his efforts on our situation now.

That isn't fair. He actually tabled a Private Members Bill which would legislate for supporters to be represented in the boardroom of all clubs. Is that not what we want? Isn't that why Germany's football is better than ours at every level of the game? You could criticise the Bill as being a bit Utopian, since it doesnt explain how we will force Abramovic, Mansour, Glaziers, etc to comply, but bloody hell, he is the one bloke in Parliament representing the interests of all fans. And as the Shadow Sports Minister, it would not do to just focus on one club.

All that said, we can continue to try and get him more actively on our side. He's go the CARD message, obviously.

Not fair? You've missed my point. Though I'm pleased he's starting to raise the issues affecting us, he's taken a hell of a long time to do it. I'm glad he's now got the CARD message.
  • Sponsored links:

That isn't fair. He actually tabled a Private Members Bill which would legislate for supporters to be represented in the boardroom of all clubs. Is that not what we want? Isn't that why Germany's football is better than ours at every level of the game? You could criticise the Bill as being a bit Utopian, since it doesnt explain how we will force Abramovic, Mansour, Glaziers, etc to comply, but bloody hell, he is the one bloke in Parliament representing the interests of all fans. And as the Shadow Sports Minister, it would not do to just focus on one club.

All that said, we can continue to try and get him more actively on our side. He's go the CARD message, obviously.

Not fair? You've missed my point. Though I'm pleased he's starting to raise the issues affecting us, he's taken a hell of a long time to do it. I'm glad he's now got the CARD message.
    His Private Members Bill has been running for some time, more than a year, is about much more than just the tickets (but instead about the ownership of clubs and where we fit in it). Were it to be enacted, people like RD would not wreak so much damage on clubs. That's the point. I'm guessing (sorry if this is unfair) you never heard of what he has been doing until you opened this thread, which is fair enough, it has not had much media publicity.

But honestly you are not going to get any MP to ask about Charlton at Prime Ministers' Questions. Achievement to get the governance of football on the PM's radar at all. I can think of a Tory PM who thought football should be played behind closed doors to solve the hooliganism problem.

The opportunity though, is for us to contact Efford and ask him if he could build on his PM question to address the Charlton problem as a local MP (not as Shadow Sports Minister).

• A patron of my establishment, never wears colours; football or political.