Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chelsea v Charlton 2005

I was at a friend's birthday drink in a bar in Phuket a couple of nights ago. The TV was tuned to one of the Thai sports channels and at one point I looked up to see two teams coming out of the tunnel at Stamford Bridge, one the obvious blue shirts of a John Terry-led Chelsea, the other being the rather more obscure red shirts adorned with the All-Sports logo. I choked a little, partly in surprise at seeing my team on TV at that particular moment, but more because it was so sad to think of what's happened to us over the past ten years. It was an average Charlton side with the likes of Brian Hughes in midfield and Lisbie leading the line with Jonatan Johansson, but even though I was living in Thailand at the time, that was my team, a team to be proud of, owners that cared and a bespectacled Alan Curbishley sitting in the dugout taking notes. We even had a strong subs bench that day with Kiely, Fish, Rommedahl, Euell and Barry Fuller, a name that had completely slipped my memory.

I didn't bother to watch. I did that in 2005 in a pub in Peckham during a trip back home. It wasn't a particularly great game, hence an odd choice to show at this time, the highlight being Makelele's last minute winner. Charlton had long entered their 40 plus points cruise-control mode but just unexpectedly seeing this team on TV made me feel so sad and brought home why I want my Charlton back, and I don't mean the Premier League glory days, just a club to be proud of, a club that's respected around the country, players that would play for the shirt and a real manager.

Comments

• Last game of the season, where Chelski picked up the Prem trophy. I was there, with a Chelsea friend, in the away area. Lisbie had a really good game leading the line on his own, while that awful ref gave a pen against us in the last minute when the foul was three yards outside the box! Even though, Stephan Anderson saved it, but Makedubry scored from the rebound - his first (and maybe only?) goal for the blues. Those were the days...
  • I was there in the home end. I remember sitting glumly as Makalele scored. I made sure I bought a programme in the hope that it would one day be worth a shed load of cash to a Chelsea fan...
  • Pedro45 said:

Last game of the season, where Chelski picked up the Prem trophy. I was there, with a Chelsea friend, in the away area. Lisbie had a really good game leading the line on his own, while that awful ref gave a pen against us in the last minute when the foul was three yards outside the box! Even though, Stephan Anderson saved it, but Makedubry scored from the rebound - his first (and maybe only?) goal for the blues. Those were the days...

I was so angry at that decision. nothing was made of it cos a minute later it was all about them picking up the trophy.
  • That penalty was a complete and utter con. Not that I'm still angry.
  • I was at a friend's birthday drink in a bar in Phuket a couple of nights ago. The TV was tuned to one of the Thai sports channels and at one point I looked up to see two teams coming out of the tunnel at Stamford Bridge, one the obvious blue shirts of a John Terry-led Chelsea, the other being the rather more obscure red shirts adorned with the All-Sports logo. I choked a little, partly in surprise at seeing my team on TV at that particular moment, but more because it was so sad to think of what's happened to us over the past ten years. It was an average Charlton side with the likes of Brian Hughes in midfield and Lisbie leading the line with Jonatan Johansson, but even though I was living in Thailand at the time, that was my team, a team to be proud of, owners that cared and a bespectacled Alan Curbishley sitting in the dugout taking notes. We even had a strong subs bench that day with Kiely, Fish, Rommedahl, Euell and Barry Fuller, a name that had completely slipped my memory.

I didn't bother to watch. I did that in 2005 in a pub in Peckham during a trip back home. It wasn't a particularly great game, hence an odd choice to show at this time, the highlight being Makelele's last minute winner. Charlton had long entered their 40 plus points cruise-control mode but just unexpectedly seeing this team on TV made me feel so sad and brought home why I want my Charlton back, and I don't mean the Premier League glory days, just a club to be proud of, a club that's respected around the country, players that would play for the shirt and a real manager.

I watched the game live on TV and I can still remember Curbs was sitting in the stands, wearing a black suit, a white shirt and a red tie that day. He rarely wore a suit at games which is probably why I've had that image in my head although it was almost eleven years ago...

Like all of you I couldn't believe they were given a penalty for a blatant dive. I just found the video on YouTube and the dive starts at 3'15''. Lampard should've been booked for diving. Disgusting.
    https://youtu.be/sZxlI11Swv4
  • It was my sons 18th. He said fatso has just ruined my birthday. He soon got over it.
    I hated seeing the smirking Scott Parker in the stand.