Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crayford Dogs

On the 18th March I am selling entry tickets for Crayford dogs to help support my London to Paris bike ride, tickets for the evening are £5 (£1 off normal entry) all proceeds will be going to The Alzheimer's Society if interested please message me and delivery of tickets can be arranged or you can collect in person on the night.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    No Saturday night dog racing at Crayford next year.  They're changing to Sunday nights instead. Can't see the logic in that as surely attendance will be down? https://crayfordgreyhounds.com/2024-schedule
  • Options
    last_line said:
    No Saturday night dog racing at Crayford next year.  They're changing to Sunday nights instead. Can't see the logic in that as surely attendance will be down?
    My Dad is the executive chef there at the moment, so he's been prepping for this for a while now.

I believe it's a change to get more racing on TV from the Ladbrokes owned tracks, and as Wolves and Hove race Thursdays and Saturdays, and Romford race every day apart from Sunday, they see a market for Sunday racing both on TV and for punters in London.

He's quite happy about it, as it means Sunday roasts are easy to market, and he can leave the Saturday shift to someone else as it's just a lunch racecard now so he can get back to Charlton games
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The CEO of Crayford Ladbrokes.
    Nice to have on your CV.
    😀
  • Options
    Sunday roast and dog racing sounds like a decent day out tbf
  • Options
    I wonder what the dog owners and trainers think of the changes. 
  • Options
    I wonder what the dog owners and trainers think of the changes. 
    I went the other month on a Tuesday evening. There was a lot of races that night, that had 5 dogs, a few had 4 and one even had 3 dogs in.
  • Options
    As an owner at Crayford, I can tell you most owners and trainers are not impressed. Crayford will lose its Saturday morning and Saturday night slots. They are replaced with Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening. Guess what I’m doing on Saturday afternoon, an Sunday is a dead slot. 

Why Crayford has got these graveyard slots is beyond us. But, they take the racing they are given by the media companies. The same media companies who demand racing from 8 in morning until 9:45 at night. It is their excessive demand for racing that has seen, the 5,4 an even 3 dogs races becoming more common. To many races, not enough greyhounds.
  • Options
    This is just to please the bookmakers it’s betting shop cannon fodder !
  • Options
    As an owner at Crayford, I can tell you most owners and trainers are not impressed. Crayford will lose its Saturday morning and Saturday night slots. They are replaced with Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening. Guess what I’m doing on Saturday afternoon, an Sunday is a dead slot. 

Why Crayford has got these graveyard slots is beyond us. But, they take the racing they are given by the media companies. The same media companies who demand racing from 8 in morning until 9:45 at night. It is their excessive demand for racing that has seen, the 5,4 an even 3 dogs races becoming more common. To many races, not enough greyhounds.
    I was gonna say I went Crayford a couple of months ago on a Saturday night and there was so many vacant traps. I think there were only 2 or 3 races with 6 dogs and also fewer races than I remember (I’m sure it used to be 12 or 13 finishing at 10.30ish)
    I go very occasionally nowadays but wasn’t sure if it was just crayford or if happening all over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought this was another thread about The Millers of Bexley
  • Options
    Ah, Saturday night at Crayford dogs reminds me of a lovely evening with @ElfsborgAddick and his Roland Out stickers 🙂
    Miss you Elfs x
  • Options
    When I was younger I used to always think that the same 6-10 dogs just ran all the races each night changing what trap they started from 🤣🤣
  • Options
    My son enjoys going to the Saturday morning meeting and it’s pretty good for going with kids. Suspect the afternoon will have a slightly different feel now, plus it’s now gonna clash with football. Shame really. 
  • Options
    Do they still do banger racing down there?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    No, they shut the old stadium that did that years ago. Pity, as it was always a great spectacle, although I now cringe at the number of classic cars I saw get demolished there.
  • Options
    Ah, Saturday night at Crayford dogs reminds me of a lovely evening with @ElfsborgAddick and his Roland Out stickers 🙂
    Miss you Elfs x
    Remember me having a picture taken with the police and the Roland Out beer mat?! :)
  • Options
    @Arsenetatters, have pm'd you.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    No, they shut the old stadium that did that years ago. Pity, as it was always a great spectacle, although I now cringe at the number of classic cars I saw get demolished there.
    Figure of 8 destruction derby!
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Figure of 8 destruction derby!
    That was a real spectacle, which I believe still happens at the few stadiums left. However, front to front collisions which were allowed then, are now banned, and it’s immediate red flag. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and bring back Crayford Kestrels speedway.

Steve Naylor was one of my early sporting heroes

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Lawrie Etheridge 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

They'd have a problem getting round that first bend. The new track is like a postage stamp compared to the old track. 
  • Options
    https://www.crayfordkestrels.co.uk/?page_id=10

I loved going to Crayford for the speedway - was a cracking stadium - I don’t think there is any speedway near me now, now that the speedway in Essex has disappeared (I’m in Dartford)
  • Options
    https://www.crayfordkestrels.co.uk/?page_id=10

I loved going to Crayford for the speedway - was a cracking stadium - I don’t think there is any speedway near me now, now that the speedway in Essex has disappeared (I’m in Dartford)
    Sittingbourne will be your nearest.

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/team/kent-royals/

• Options
    Crayford speedway was one of my favourite childhood smells.