Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should we put out a weakened team?

Swansea doing this tonight to save best players for the big games. Wondering if we should do this and if so, what would the team look like?

Comments

• Been doing this all season.
  • Yeah weakened how? Deliberately break a couple of legs and make them play? Better not choose Todjer Johnson as it will have no effect at all, may improve the team in fact.
  • A weakened team? I dread to think.
  • Difficult to know what a " weakened" team is ? We are such a load of pony. Mind you they all seem to be good on video and have a great team spirit on Twitter.
  • We do every game - esp with the likes of Ba, Sarr, Makienok, Johnson, Bergdich. Need I go on.
  • Swansea doing this tonight to save best players for the big games. Wondering if we should do this and if so, what would the team look like?

For what were down already
  • Are you looking at the table upside down !!??????
  • Bottom of the league 7 points from safety. Can you get anymore weaker then that.
  • As opposed to?
  • Sponsored links:

• Pope
    Charles-Cook Johnson Sarr Fox
    Kennedy Ba Muldoon Harriott
    Reza Aherne-Grant

?

Be a bit embarrassing if they went out and smashed someone 3-0 wouldn't it
  • Swansea should be fined for putting out such a weakened team.
  • IA said:

Swansea should be fined for putting out such a weakened team.

• sam3110 said:

Pope
    Charles-Cook Johnson Sarr Fox
    Kennedy Ba Muldoon Harriott
    Reza Aherne-Grant

?

Be a bit embarrassing if they went out and smashed someone 3-0 wouldn't it

That's next season's starting 11.
  • Ditto what everyone else has said - how the fuck do you find a weakened team in our club
  • Let's play the ball-boys against Boro.
  • Imagine how bad a weakened Charlton would be, given the dross served up by the full side.
  • Swansea won 2-1. We do not have a STRONG team to put out!!!
  • We don't have anyone else to put out.. at the Reading match I used one of the team sheets (kindly provided by CARD) to assess our (frankly massive) squad.

I crossed out those on load or injured and had a look at what we had left. Outside of the match day 18 we had five players fit and available. And they had less than ten first team caps between them.

We are basically playing games who is available we don't have a huge amount of choice in the matter...
  • We have a strong team??? Where in Belgium?
  • Sponsored links:

• I wouldn't do it for another couple weeks, given Brentford and MK Dons are winnable matches (not that it matters), but as the season goes on and we're still adrift I would absolutely be looking to integrate some of the youth players into the first team. I was disappointed and confused when Luzon didn't do this against Bournemouth last year. I'd like to see the likes of Kensa, Charles-Cook, Umerah, and maybe Kennedy get a run out. Additionally, I think it'd be good to play Naby Sarr in what will hopefully be an attempt to get him used to the league. I rate him more than most, and I'd be curious to see how he'd do alongside an experienced defender like Texiera.
  • SDAddick said:

I wouldn't do it for another couple weeks, given Brentford and MK Dons are winnable matches (not that it matters), but as the season goes on and we're still adrift I would absolutely be looking to integrate some of the youth players into the first team. I was disappointed and confused when Luzon didn't do this against Bournemouth last year. I'd like to see the likes of Kensa, Charles-Cook, Umerah, and maybe Kennedy get a run out. Additionally, I think it'd be good to play Naby Sarr in what will hopefully be an attempt to get him used to the league. I rate him more than most, and I'd be curious to see how he'd do alongside an experienced defender like Texiera.

As you're USA based (I believe), I was curious as to why you rate Sarr more than most ?

What are you basing your opinions on ? I'm curious and don't wish to sound rude.

• Great idea, let's see if we can beat the Hull & Huddersfield scores and get the opposing team into double figures!
  • SDAddick said:

I wouldn't do it for another couple weeks, given Brentford and MK Dons are winnable matches (not that it matters), but as the season goes on and we're still adrift I would absolutely be looking to integrate some of the youth players into the first team. I was disappointed and confused when Luzon didn't do this against Bournemouth last year. I'd like to see the likes of Kensa, Charles-Cook, Umerah, and maybe Kennedy get a run out. Additionally, I think it'd be good to play Naby Sarr in what will hopefully be an attempt to get him used to the league. I rate him more than most, and I'd be curious to see how he'd do alongside an experienced defender like Texiera.

As you're USA based (I believe), I was curious as to why you rate Sarr more than most ?

What are you basing your opinions on ? I'm curious and don't wish to sound rude.

A very fair question. I've seen him on TV for Charlton ~three times this year, far fewer than the rest of you. I'd seen a bit of him at youth tournaments in the past when he was at Lyon, and he looked a solid, classy defender. I have also seen a lot of highlights of him making errors.

My feeling with him is that there is definitely talent there, but he desperately lacks coaching and organization. I also think he's had an incredibly difficult introduction to a league that's difficult to go in to as a young center half. I personally have a long-standing theory that the hardest adjustment to the English game is at Center Forward or Center Back, especially when you're used to being the big, physical one. I see Mak and Tucudean having this problem. All forwards and defenders in the English game have to be strong and physical, and I think it takes away an attribute that big center halves/forward raised in other footballing cultures are used to relying on.

I'd also make the point that Sarr has had, by my count, four different center back partners this year. Lennon, Bauer (both new to the league), Roger Johnson, and Alou Diarra, which won't have been easy. I'm not saying he's brilliant, or by any means the finished article, but I think he makes errors of confidence and positioning, both of which can be coached out of a young player. For me, Harry Lennon has made a fair few mistakes of positioning and in possession, and he doesn't get nearly the stick, despite the fact that his mistakes have often led to goals, Rotherham being a good example.
  • Naby Sarr isn't a bad player I agree. He isn't yet ready, nor is Lennon, to be regularly starting.

Bauer was.

Diarra is better in midfield for me but can still do a very good job at CB.

I went into a pub today where the staff know me well but I hadn't been in for a month or two. They had a laugh at how Charlton were doing (Irish Chelsea supporter and a Watford supporter), said what a great hat trick last week shame about the defence. I said yes that effing Roger Johnson and they wet themselves laughing....'What is he still playing? He was rubbish years ago' I explained we had given him an 18 month contract straight from the IPL, they had hardly stopped laughing when I left an hour later.
  • Naby Sarr isn't a bad player I agree. He isn't yet ready, nor is Lennon, to be regularly starting.

Bauer was.

Diarra is better in midfield for me but can still do a very good job at CB.

I went into a pub today where the staff know me well but I hadn't been in for a month or two. They had a laugh at how Charlton were doing (Irish Chelsea supporter and a Watford supporter), said what a great hat trick last week shame about the defence. I said yes that effing Roger Johnson and they wet themselves laughing....'What is he still playing? He was rubbish years ago' I explained we had given him an 18 month contract straight from the IPL, they had hardly stopped laughing when I left an hour later.

Right after the match on Saturday I remembered Johnson's first game for West Ham against Manchester City in the first round of the League Cup a couple years ago. It ended 6-0. Johnson looked drunk. It was genuinely one of the worst defensive performances I've seen in years. I'm pretty sure I repressed it when we signed him last year.