Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Varney guilt at Charlton downfall

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
Charlton chief executive Peter Varney says he must take at least part of the blame for the Addicks' relegation.

Guilt eh? Does this not sound a little like a man who is prepared to fall on his sword? Is it not mighty coinicidental that it should come after this?

Comments

• Options
    I can see your thinking.

I'm not convinced that there isn't something in this takeover talk despite the denials.
  • Options
    They wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't listen and see what the best offer/ package was (if there is one!)

Then we have to hope (and i for one am very confident they would) that they would do the best thing for the Club- after all if an investor is prepared to shovel loads of money in for no profit and no control, then we should bite their hand off, unlikely as it may be.
  • Options
    The problem for me was we didn't buy well in the summer, for whatever reasons - we failed to bring in a decent striker and decent holding midfielder, without these our squad just wasn't good enough. Instead we ended up with about eight centre halfs, most of whom were either average crocked!

Add that to the fixture list which gave us a confidence sapping poor start, new manager or three, and lots of new players.
  • Options
    we stayed in the Premier League a lot longer than most people ever expected, so in that respect we succeeded not failed
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    Guilt eh? Does this not sound a little like a man who is prepared to fall on his sword?

No just someone who is being honest. Having been lucky enough to have worked with him I hope he stays for a very long time. If he was available IMHO there would be a queue of clubs willing to employ him. Thankfully he's a fan.
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite] Is it not mighty coinicidental that it should come after?

IMHO, yes it is just coinicidental and a case of 2+2=5 :- )
  • Options
    Henry, its good to get your insiders view. For my part I have huge respect for PV. He has come out and been honest. Why deny the mistakes? Most of us feel that mistakes were made but virtually none of us feel any animosity to PV or RM or the board. To have denied them now would be disingenuous and counter productive. Given our relegation, that speaks volumes as to the high regard in which our board is held by fans.

As for this Consortium business, well no bid is a bid until it's tabled. I wonder whether this is a "kite" being flown by this group to see if they can flush any key shareholder out into the open?
  • Options
    Varney has done a great job, so has Murray and it would be a disaster if either left the club.

They made a mistake with Dowie but, as should be clear to most people, he was probably the best of a bad bunch and they could not have predicted things would go so bad so quickly, nobody could.

The Reed thing, again, was a case of him being the only viable option at that time unless we wanted to spend mega-bucks bringing in an O'Leary type as a "saviour". Luckily Pards came along and we are now back on track.

Its good to see him shouldering some blame but the real fault lies across the whole chain of senior management, team management and, most of all, the under performing players.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]- after all if an investor is prepared to shovel loads of money in for no profit and no control, then we should bite their hand off, unlikely as it may be.

There's two words for that kind of investor:
    1) Suckers
    2) Non-existant
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    Guilt eh? Does this not sound a little like a man who is prepared to fall on his sword?

No just someone who is being honest. Having been lucky enough to have worked with him I hope he stays for a very long time. If he was available IMHO there would be a queue of clubs willing to employ him. Thankfully he's a fan.
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Is it not mighty coinicidental that it should come after?

IMHO, yes it is just coinicidental and a case of 2+2=5 :- )

Good, Henry, just thought I'd play devil's advocate - you've made me feel much better!!