Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keyboard warriors slag off protests

Comments

• Options
    As said, not for me. Fiercly local to my team. Those that have gone are the past. My mate is a big Leicester fan, he thinks Kermongant is a wanker.
  • Options
    Too busy moaning at the shocking defending for their goals to be concerned with who scored for Reading. A clap for Yann when his name was read out and then hoped he had an absolute shocker.

Sadly Riga and our defence were handing out more freebies than the Clubs ticket office to local schools.
  • Options

I also clapped Yann's goal because it was a damned good header... I did the same when Mark Viduka scored a stunner for Middlesbrough against us one year.

Sometimes a quality goal regardless who scores it also deserves applause

I remember Liverpool tonking us at The Valley 0-4 in 2000? When the 4th went in there was widespread applause from the Charlton fans. Not new but the current situation certainly is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I love the protests, think the effort that people are going too is great. But I can never understand clapping a player scoring against us, regardless of his status with our fans. I just don't 'get it'. What happened to 'support the team, not the regime'. Clap him before and after the game... I get that....but cheering an opposition goal is surely counter productive?

I didn't clap his goal.

I clapped the way he didn't celebrate
    Please tell me how, to anyone that you didn't explain this to before hand, there is any difference?

Did the players (and by that I mean our players) know that you weren't clapping them conceding a goal?
    This must be the most surreal exchange ever on Charlton Life.
    Someone in the future may spend weeks dissecting it as a research project.
    May I add: when is a goal a goal?
    Answer: The sound of one hand clapping.
  • Options

I love the protests, think the effort that people are going too is great. But I can never understand clapping a player scoring against us, regardless of his status with our fans. I just don't 'get it'. What happened to 'support the team, not the regime'. Clap him before and after the game... I get that....but cheering an opposition goal is surely counter productive?

I didn't clap his goal.

I clapped the way he didn't celebrate
    Please tell me how, to anyone that you didn't explain this to before hand, there is any difference?

Did the players (and by that I mean our players) know that you weren't clapping them conceding a goal?
    I told the bloke behind me : - )

• Options

masicat said:

Said on post match. Fat bloke with a CARD top and a smart bloke with a black and white scarf were standing and applauding Kermongants goal in the East Stand. Some sort of protest I know, but neither applauded the kids at half time.

I applauded both. Your point is?

Are you the fat bloke?

• Options
    When will be get to the point when we realise our poor diddums players deserve to get it as much as the rest of the regime? I mean if you cut Rod Fanni does he bleed Charlton, or Jose Riga? I am not saying all the players are complicit in our downfall (although some are IMHO), but if they don't like fans ire then they can take it up with their agents, or Katrien.
    It isn't as if they are working for bowls of gruel and sleeping on straw. If our protests are stalling then moving on to the team and players might hasten the end game. Indeed we ought not to tread on eggshells with anybody working for the club, I don't mean brutal and offensive, but very strongly assertive. Olly, Mick, BDL, Mel, Ravi Lord effing Valiant or whomsoever is likely to be a great person, but these days part of their job description is to be in the line of fire and take the flak. I imagine Tony Keohane will offer all staff his unconditional support, advice, help and compensation, as will Katrien and Roland so the pain won't be too much.
    When I hear Roland talk about us being a 'nice' club, I want to get nasty. I am aware this post will go down badly with many but this is now clearly a war that won't end with a treaty, but unconditional surrender of one side or another....unless somebody can tell me where compromise can be found.
  • Options
    I don't think clapping Yann had a negative effect on the players. The chant of 'shit, shit, shit' to the players as they approached the tunnel at half time was much worse.

Apologies if I got this wrong but from where I was sat it seemed to be aimed at the players???
  • Options
    masicat said:

As said, not for me. Fiercly local to my team. Those that have gone are the past. My mate is a big Leicester fan, he thinks Kermongant is a wanker.

So would I after THAT penalty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Half the Charlton folk i spoke to yesterday, had a bet on Yann scoring at any time so why wouldn't they clap a fantastic championship player who didn't want to leave Charlton.
    but the owner thought that Polish Pete on a 5 year contract was a better option.

If we could've got Yann Kermorgant signed on a 2 year contract with the option of another year back in Jan 2014 that would have been the best signing for 14K a week we could have made. (Scott Macdonald,Millwall striker at the time was on 18K)
  • Options
    My impression was that at least half the home supporters applauded Yann's goals, so it's not as if it's a tiny minority doing it
  • Options
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a Charlton XI that I cared less about until yesterday. I sort of like Henderson I guess? I felt nothing towards our goals and didn't care when we conceded, I just laughed especially at the end.

We've signed 40ish players under Duchatelet, maybe we can get that number up to 65-70 by the end of next season, hopefully we will go through another 3 puppets too.
  • Options

People have the right to protest just like they have the right not to, some choose to ride out the bad times and support the team because in their heart of hearts they feel it's the right thing to do, some chose to protest and stand up for what they think is right. I don't think either group should be putting the other down. When we were in exhile some refused to step foot in selhurst park as a way of protest and others carried on supporting the team and going, but we still got out of it in the end without turning on each other. We all need to do what we feel is right until the vermin are gone and not turn on each other.

I am for the protests will participate when and where I can and think CARD are doing a wonderful job as are the fundraisers. But I do know of some really long standing supporters that do not want to protest as they just want to support the team and ride it out, these people have been called "sympathisers" or "scabs" that is not on. They have supported Charlton for decades and shouldn't be name called because they choose not to protest. Just like I was disgusted that protest volunteers were sworn at and called names for merely spreading the word and choosing to protest.

katrien would absolutely love it if she new the supporters were being split like this, I wish there was a way to unite all fans where no one is going against what they believe is right.

The two views you outline are in no way mutually exclusive. It is entirely possible to support the team but not get involved in the protests, protest without supporting the team through attending matches and also to do both.

I know I did both yesterday.
  • Options

Sitting in the comfort of my home following the match thread I became aware of some pretty acidic comments aimed at the protests and those at the match who applauded Kermo after his goals.
    Very little response when I asked for their ideas.

They were clearly not at the match but felt it fine to really slag off those that were. Not for going but for how they protested.

I was called out as a bovril drinker which I found highly offensive as a veggie.

Tbh I was surprised at the intensity of the hatred against fellow fans. If they are not all mouth there could be some unpleasant scenes before this season is over.

There are keyboard warriors on both sides and there are people prepared to slag others off on both sides in person - thats life I am afraid.