Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Supporting Charlton - An idiots guide

Comments

• Options
    Groupon offers coming soon...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    There's something a bit 'Fulham' about this.

Traditions – singing your heart out!

One of the big traditions at football grounds is singing songs as a group of supporters. Usually these chants are led by fans, but one of our songs is played before the start of the match. It's called Valley Floyd Road and here are the words, so join in it’s to the tune of Mull of Kintyre.
  • Options
    It's weird seeing a guide to things that you were never really taught to do (especially the bit that teaches you how to sing VFR) but I think most football teams have this sort of thing these days.

If I could be bothered to think about it properly it's probably some sort of example of how society wants things immediately now rather than trying to build up an authentic experience of pretty much anything. How did you learn VFR ? I can't really remember but I'm sure it was going to matches, hearing the song and slowly, over time it became ingrained in my memory. Now people want to feel like they are included so they read a thing on the article telling them how/when/what to sing.
  • Options
    Is this the lovely Mel's work? I thought she was a football fan...
  • Options
    Surprised there's not a 'mind the protest; they're just grumpy' section
  • Options
    A few of us have tweeted re ommission of the traditional 5pm singing behind the West Stand.
  • Options
    Hmmm, it seems I've been doing it wrong!
  • Options
    This is there for all the new fans Meire is going to bring in from the University of Greenwich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"There's a 't' in Charlton" said a fella next to me last week.

Tell him the original spelling was Cheeowon.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Fancy having to decide what to wear based on the weather forecast. Those darned open stadiums.
    Although it's nice in better weather to wear my Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Abandon hope all ye who enter here. That's all the guide you need.
  • Options
    And here was I thinking Valley Floyd Road started with Valley Floyd Road. I've been doing it wrong all these years.
  • Options
    I was waiting for ......The game starts with 11 players on each side and they try and kick the ball into a big next between two sticks, it's called a goal....
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    21 and a half thousand for a fiver a game. We got bigger gates in League One against the likes of Exeter in 2011 when the same offer was being run. Even giving 750 free tickets to schools could not get the gate towards the 25,000 the club would normally expect.

Things are definitely getting to a sad state of affairs when someone in the Lower West throws their season ticket at Riga after Reading's 4th goal.