Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holiday to Turkey

Comments

• Options

What is the point of that? Going to a foreign country and only leaving the hotel to go back to the airport when flying home. Sorry, but you may as well go to the closest/cheapest place in the sun coz you may as well be anywhere.

Agreed. If all you want is cheap relaxing hotel with nice food and lots of sunshine you might just as well go to somewhere like Turkey

• Options
    I am neither English nor bothered about your opinion of the Turks, I tried to lighten the thread with a joke and you're the one that started getting personal. Mush!
  • Options
    Been twice, I've no interest in going again.
  • Options
    I went for one day to Turkey - hated it.

• Options
    As long as you understand the risks involved and realize you are a potential target then go for it.

However if the worse does happen don't go bleating to the BBC when you are stranded and can't get out quickly.
  • Options
    Turkey too close to a war zone - there's conflict with russia, and a leaky border. Erdogan (Turkish President) has allowed Isis to sell oil and to get guns and supplies through. Erdogan decided to escalate conflict with the Kurds to secure his parties position. Not a safe country to go there. I was thinking of a holiday there but decided against it, whilst Erdogan is escalating troubles in the country.
  • Options
    I think the original posters biggest problem is not Turkey but the fact they are considering going with Thomson. Charlatans delayed us 20 hours back in October. Not a penny in compensation, no response to emails and if you can get to speak to a person they fob you off, just to get rid of you and then never ring you back.
  • Options

I was talking to a few travel agents before Christmas about Turkey. They all said it was dead after the terror attacks and everyone from the UK is flying to traditional European destinations. The prices in Sardinia where I was looking were insane.

Turkeys normally are dead after Christmas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2016
    vff said:

Turkey too close to a war zone - there's conflict with russia, and a leaky border. Erdogan (Turkish President) has allowed Isis to sell oil and to get guns and supplies through. Erdogan decided to escalate conflict with the Kurds to secure his parties position. Not a safe country to go there. I was thinking of a holiday there but decided against it, whilst Erdogan is escalating troubles in the country.

Which bit of that is not correct then @cypriot_addick ? Erdogan didn't escalate the conflict with Kurds for political purpose or are soft on Daesh ? Turkey not in conflict with Russia ? Daesh weren't selling oil through Turkish ports ?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone
  • Options
    The hotels in Antalyas Lara beach and Side are a world apart from the likes of a Marmaris self catering holiday and I can't recall getting a dodgy stomach in all the times I've been. I can't wait to go back in may.
  • Options
    Don't go mate!
  • Options
    edited February 2016

The hotels in Antalyas Lara beach and Side are a world apart from the likes of a Marmaris self catering holiday and I can't recall getting a dodgy stomach in all the times I've been. I can't wait to go back in may.

Same here. I've been plenty of times to Turkey and neither I or my wife and kids have ever got a dodgy stomach. I suggest if you get bad guts every time you go to turkey , wash your hands after going to the toilet.
    The same nonsense was said about Spain in the 70's and 80's.

Enjoy your holiday to Turkey @Chrissy\\\'sArmy!! it's a fantastic country.
  • Options

Each to their own but I have never understood the British attraction to going on holiday to places where you get the shits if you so much as sniff the water.

Hence why it's the US, Carribean, Bahamas for me. Same sunshine, more to do, and no burning arsehole after a week of pissing out your bum.

Egypt is the same. Why?

Seeing as you shit money, Turkey for you would seem a logical choice.
  • Options
    Easy - no need to go all 'arsey' (pun intended).

I have nothing against these countries, and never even mentioned Spain. But it has just stuck in my mind that a fair few people who I know who have been to Egypt, Turkey or Morrocco have had a decent time, but spent a portion of the trip pissing fizzy chocolate out their arse.

Seeing as I suffer from IBS and would probably get the shits on a holiday to an all inclusive resort in Devon that served nothing but boiled rice, I have preferred California for instance. It's not exactly Necker Island and I have (touch wood) maintained a level of arse control during my visits.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I have nothing against these countries, and never even mentioned Spain. But it has just stuck in my mind that a fair few people who I know who have been to Egypt, Turkey or Morrocco have had a decent time, but spent a portion of the trip pissing fizzy chocolate out their arse.

Seeing as I suffer from IBS and would probably get the shits on a holiday to an all inclusive resort in Devon that served nothing but boiled rice, I have preferred California for instance. It's not exactly Necker Island and I have (touch wood) maintained a level of arse control during my visits.

Choosing holiday destinations based on your arse sounds a depressing way to live your life.
    Yep having a chronic health condition can be very depressing if you let it - however I make up for it by taking the kids and family on holidays that work for us. Disneyland in California on Christmas Day this year, followed by a road trip to Palm Springs.

If you think that's depressing then fair enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Gulp - to much info DNS!

Seriously I cannot be of help here, although have driven/camped right through Turkey and into Iran to Tehran, driving back through Antalya. It was in 1967.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Choosing holiday destinations based on your arse sounds a depressing way to live your life.
    It's a way of life for some. I have Coeliac Disease (before that was diagnosed, for the previous 20 years I was told I had IBS). Every journey is an adventure, even in this country. One wrong meal or drink can see me laid up for days.

• Options
    Would one of those new-fangled poo transplants work?
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Read about that before. Wouldn't work for me as mine is an autoimmune disease. DNS may find it err, interesting though.

• Options

Each to their own but I have never understood the British attraction to going on holiday to places where you get the shits if you so much as sniff the water.

Hence why it's the US, Carribean, Bahamas for me. Same sunshine, more to do, and no burning arsehole after a week of pissing out your bum.

Egypt is the same. Why?

Plenty of places in the Caribbean will give you the shits
    Especially if you get robbed at gun point...
  • Options
    Went last july was brillant, so cheap out there, take pounds as will work out alot cheaper 4 u, not 1 place didnt take pounds,theres so many brits out there and u will safer then an away day at fulham
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Egypt is the same. Why?

Some of us may enjoy the culture... I've only ever got the sharm el shits once in 7 holidays spread across Tunisia and Egypt.

P.s Edit - that was because I drunkenly thought it a good idea to have a glass of tap water.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Quite. My comment was as ignorant as saying "I have never understood the British attraction to going on holiday to places where you get the shits if you so much as sniff the warer" whilst you holiday in the Bahamas and California. I reckon, if you thought about it really hard, you could figure out why.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Unless you're going to Brighton.
    Good point. The lack of seafront benches is shocking.