Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

124»

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I can see the argument of keeping together a winning side, but not having Dijkstill down as a ‘much better defender’.

Chris Solly is a fantastic defender. 
    It’s your opinion but AD has more pace, more strength, better tackler. I could go on.. the Solly pre knees going was a sensational player 
  • Options
    Doncaster also play the long ball quite a lot, and Dijksteel is better than Solly in the air by a long way
  • Options
    Good to have him back though. Even if it will be on the bench.
  • Options
    Doncaster also play the long ball quite a lot, and Dijksteel is better than Solly in the air by a long way
    And yet Solly was/is good in the air too considering his small stature.....we all luv Chris and would have really wanted him to be fully involved in the playoffs but the truth is Dijksteel has improved immensely (as has the entire squad) and there is no justification in him being replaced.
    I am sure Chris will feature on the bench if fit as he is still an important part of the set up......let’s hope so as he deserves nothing less.
    Christopher James Solly.....what might have been, had his chips & peas not let him down.
  • Options
    Dijksteel for me definitely gets the nod on Friday and if we make it Wembley. Great to have Solly as cover and would definitely have him on the bench but not starting at the moment.
  • Options
    I was one of his biggest critics when he first came in but AD has to stay in now  
  • Options

What we need is the speed and athleticism of Dijksteel ..... combined with the reading of the game, spirit and tenacity of Solly.

• Options
    In the 4 games Solly had been suspended we've let in 1 goal and scored 12. I'm sure AD will play.

Indeed it'll be tough fitting Solly onto the bench, Page might be most at risk.
  • Options
    I think Solly will play as he's going to be fresh after his ban, and also Bowyer will say he's got the experience, but i wouldn't change the back four nor would i have done yesterday either, but Bowyer picks the team not me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love Solly but I'm not sure he finds a way back into this team. 
  • Options
    Congratulations to Chris on making his 300th appearance today.
    Shame it had to end the way it did at Barnsley.
  • Options
    Out for two weeks
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Congratulations. Solly's place in our hall of fame is secure. He will be frustrated at being out for two weeks I'm sure, but it is something the game has got right. If you damage an external part of your body you react to it, but you can't see inside your head. It is better to be safe than sorry later on in life.
  • Options
    Should surpass Richard Rufus and Nicky Johns this season if he plays another 24-games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._players
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    He was playing really well and wanted to carry on and was repeatedly saying he was OK......but he had been down flat out for 4 or 5 minutes.
    Concussion is a strange one, you feel right as rain one minute and that you’re Ok to carry on as normal, the next your head swims and you feel varying degrees of dizziness, depending on how bad the initial concussion was......it usually lasts for a few days even if it’s only a mild injury.
  • Options
    I got hit in the temple by a cricket ball about 35 years ago. I carried on playing for a few overs. Then realised everything had gone 2 dimensional! I had no depth perception at all. (Not the best condition to be in with a hard leather ball flying around at about a million miles an hour!) So, I took myself off the pitch and took myself off to casualty...
  • Options
    I got hit in the temple by a cricket ball about 35 years ago. I carried on playing for a few overs. Then realised everything had gone 2 dimensional! I had no depth perception at all. (Not the best condition to be in with a hard leather ball flying around at about a million miles an hour!) So, I took myself off the pitch and took myself off to casualty...
    Is that why you call yourself Loopy?  :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I played football, I was severely concussed in a game. My left eye swelled up like a boxer's too and I couldn't see out of it. I didn't feel with it at all, but played on with a wet sponge in my hand. I look back on that and really wish I hadn't. Will it come back to kick me in the teeth later in life? It was reckless and stupid and I sort of knew it at the time, but the game was all important even though it was a nothing game. Solly is fortunate that he plays at a level where others make that decision for him as he would have been straight back on the pitch yesterday if it was up to him. When his career ends, he will be pleased they did that.
    Similar situation for me, smashed my head on the post playing in goal - those old Sunday league cubed bastards not the nice rounded ones. Anyway I played the whole match but didn't really know where I was, my mind was just frazzled.
    Have thought about it a number of times and feel a bit let down that I was allowed to carry on, was only 14 or 15 as well. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Is that why you call yourself Loopy?  :smile:

No. I was nicknamed Loopy long before that incident!
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Congratulations. Solly's place in our hall of fame is secure. He will be frustrated at being out for two weeks I'm sure, but it is something the game has got right. If you damage an external part of your body you react to it, but you can't see inside your head. It is better to be safe than sorry later on in life.
    Taking him off and the enforced period of rest is far better than the crazy Steve Smith situation where he came back on the field 45 minutes after going off.

Smith subsequently overnight started showing more symptoms of concussion, showing how wrong it was that he resumed batting yesterday
  • Options
    Taking him off and the enforced period of rest is far better than the crazy Steve Smith situation where he came back on the field 45 minutes after going off.

Smith subsequently overnight started showing more symptoms of concussion, showing how wrong it was that he resumed batting yesterday
    The assessment of Smith was ludicrous - they explained how it was done by an expert in this area but I can't see how this measures up. I used to work alongside physios/OTs who dealt with brain injuries in the hospital and you began to realise how delicate the brain is - without an MRI injuries can easily be missed.

The assessment of head injuries at most sporting events is laughable and not fit for purpose - they should err on the side of caution and protect the player. The right decision was made for Solly.
  • Options

The assessment of Smith was ludicrous - they explained how it was done by an expert in this area but I can't see how this measures up. I used to work alongside physios/OTs who dealt with brain injuries in the hospital and you began to realise how delicate the brain is - without an MRI injuries can easily be missed.

The assessment of head injuries at most sporting events is laughable and not fit for purpose - they should err on the side of caution and protect the player. The right decision was made for Solly.
    You'd have thought Australia of all countries would understand the seriousness of concussion injuries, and that symptoms aren't always immediate. The "he was feeling much better and wanted to resume" attitude is unacceptable
  • Options

You'd have thought Australia of all countries would understand the seriousness of concussion injuries, and that symptoms aren't always immediate. The "he was feeling much better and wanted to resume" attitude is unacceptable
    There needs to be a proper protocol in sport regarding head injuries. Having listened to a neurologist talk about the effect of being hit in boxing on the brain I couldn't watch the sport again.

We all take our health for granted.
  • Options

Especially as it was an Australian Test batsman (Phil Hughes) who was the player who died after being hit by a bouncer...