Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harper Lee and Umberto Eco

Both gone in last day.

Comments

• RIP

both literature greats.

to kill a mocking bird is still one of my favourite books.
  • Wasn't there some scandal that she didn't write TKAMB ?
  • There was a theory that it was written by Trueman Capote but only because they were childhood friends.
  • edited February 2016
    Harper Lee an O-Level staple if you are of a certain vintage.

Umberto Eco i do not know much about apart from a ridiculous performance as a er Scottish monk in The Name of the Rose by Sean Connery...

RIP
  • edited February 2016

Wasn't there some scandal that she didn't write TKAMB ?

there was a rumour that Truman Capote wrote it or heavily edited it. there's no fact to it. he wrote a letter to his aunt 6 months before the book got published saying his friend harper is writing a book and he had read most of it and thought it was good.

he was also a man with an ego who always wanted to win the pulitzer prize and never did. where as mockingbird did win it and the national book award. so I'm sure he would of maybe hinted helping harper if that was the case. Harper also helped Capote on his book In cold blood after mockingbird was finished.

I think most of it was because she never published anything else afterwards. people find that strange. if you have had success and fortune why not continue it? she didn't want to. maybe she only had the one book in her at the time? maybe she didn't like the fame? she was a private person. who knows?
  • Wasn't there some scandal that she didn't write TKAMB ?

there was a rumour that Truman Capote wrote it or heavily edited it. there's no fact to it. he wrote a letter to his aunt 6 months before the book got published saying his friend harper is writing a book and he had read most of it and thought it was good.

he was also a man with an ego who always wanted to win the pulitzer prize and never did. where as mockingbird did win it and the national book award. so I'm sure he would of maybe hinted helping harper if that was the case. Harper also helped Capote on his book In cold blood after mockingbird was finished.

I think most of it was because she never published anything else afterwards. people find that strange. if you have had success and fortune why not continue it? she didn't want to. maybe she only had the one book in her at the time? maybe she didn't like the fame? she was a private person. who knows?
    She was a fascinating literary figure. From many accounts, Go Set A Watchman, released last year, is not to be considered cannon.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/19/go-set-a-watchman-harper-lee-legacy-to-kill-a-mockingbird

Remember that J.D. Salinger published very little in his lifetime after the success of Catcher in the Rye. T.S. Eliot has a relatively small cannon of work, took roughly ten years to write Prufrock, another five or so to write The Waste Land, and then seven years off until Ash Wednesday (and demanded no biography be written about him).

I think for some, writing takes so much out of them that it is hard to keep going.