Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fulham v Charlton | Sat 20 Feb | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Fulham v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 20 February 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Kevin Friend (Leicestershire)

Headlines

Just the one headline this week folks but it’s a big one, it’s finally here, the day we’ve all be waiting for… If Charlton avoid defeat this week they will finally return to the Premier League (that’s of course if you add up all the points from my Predictions over the season…)

Introduction
Jokes aside, it’s pretty bleak at the Valley at the moment… Despite Jose Riga being appointed as Manager back in January, the Addicks have only tasted defeat on one occasion (losing 1-0 to Bristol City), we’ve only conceded three goals, whilst we’ve found the net five times… It is impressive when you look at it like that, and it does show light at the end of the tunnel, unfortunately though, all those goals have been scored in only two matches…

As mentioned, it appears as though we’ve stopped leaking goals at the back (Although we were let off against Cardiff who hit the woodwork twice) yet we’re now six points adrift from safety, that’s two wins… Simon Makienok appears to be finally hitting his stride whilst forming a good partnership with Igor Vetokele, yet injury to the latter has meant we’ve been toothless in attack for the last two matches and goals are needed and fast.

This Saturday we head across West London to Fulham, defeat and you can start hoping that Carlisle United will win promotion from League Two, win and the fight for relegation will be thrown open once more as our opponents this Saturday will have been dragged right into the mix… Come on you reds!!!

The Opposition
Name: Fulham | Manager: Slavisa Jokanovic
Ground: Craven Cottage | Nickname: The Cottagers

When preparing for this week’s preview, I decided I wanted to try and boost the hopes of all Charlton fans, to show that we shouldn’t despair yet and that we can still be playing Championship Football next season, you all know that I like stats so here’s a big one of you: Our last win against Fulham was in 2004 (this’ll have been our tenth encounter since that day) whilst you have to go back to 1986 when we last won at Craven Cottage.

For the last two seasons, Charlton v Fulham has been picked by Sky for television coverage, last season at Craven Cottage which saw the Addicks lose 3-0 and then this season at the Valley… Prior to last month, our record against Rotherham United was just as bad yet we’ve always looked like beating them…

Against Fulham in October we never looked like beating them… Conor McAleny on loan from Everton wasted a huge chance right at the beginning of the match yet errors from Nick Pope would see Fulham take a 2-0 lead… Embarrassingly they (and Charlton) took their foot off the gas with an hour played as it was so comfortable, yet enter the fray, one Johnnie Jackson… Returning from injury he would make an instant impact before Jordan Cousins equalised at the death.

Records are meant to be broken; they must be broken this Saturday

Charlton Team News
Our heavy defeats against Huddersfield and Hull must really have impacted our owner… Since the Cardiff game two more Defenders have joined on loan (Marco Motta from Juventus and Yun-Suk Young from Queens Park Rangers)… The latter is described as an attacking Left-Back and is someone who likes to get forward… So to start of rumours of team selection, could we see our first South Korean play in front of Morgan Fox which will result in Zacharya Bergdich being dropped to the bench?

Igor Vetokele was regarded as 50/50 ahead of the Cardiff game last week so am sure that many Charlton fans are on their knees praying that he returns to the line-up, both Jordan Cousins and Johnnie Jackson were forced off last week due to injury so there will be question marks over their involvement

Should they both be fit, they’ll no doubt start yet the line-up below is my prediction if they are out of action.

Henderson
Solly … Teixeira … Lennon … Fox
Gudmundsson … Poyet … Ba … Suk-Young
Vetokele … Makienok

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Johnson … Motta … Lookman … Sanogo … Bergdich … Ghoochanniejad

Prediction
Fulham 0-1 Charlton Athletic

Enjoy the Promotion Party… Days like this don’t come along often!!

Comments

• Options
    Another slapping...........................
  • Options
    It pains me to admit it, but they have two midfielders in O'hara and Parker who could prove to be the difference. No doubt the latter will up his game and probably even bag a goal or two. One of the biggest issues I have noted from a CAFC perspective this year is related to our midfield. You normally have a central midfielder with an Engine who likes a tackle, or one that is composed on the ball who can get the ball moving forward.
    Jacko in a 2 man midfield is not going to offer either of the above as he is often caught out by the pace of the game in this league.
    And that's not easy to admit as he is a Charlton hero in my eyes but we are in the middle of a dogfight, it's important that we are not carrying anyone here be it the skipper or anyone else.
    I'd like to see him come on from the bench or at least have Cousins and Poyet alongside him.

I haven't even touched on the threat of McCormack.

Prediction is a home win.
  • Options
    Despite what I've written on the Preview, this match is the one remaining game that I'm not looking forward to as we've always looked terrible playing Fulham... Remember playing them in 1999 shortly after being Relegated, they werent long up from League One and we'd won our first matches at a canter, Fulham came to the Valley and we were awful, think we either lost 1-0 or scraped a win, am sure it was on Sky too
  • Options
    No Sanogoal in the predicted team/squad?, thought he did ok sat
  • Options

No Sanogoal in the predicted team/squad?, thought he did ok sat

Completely forgot about Sanogo, have put him on the bench in place of Harriott whilst I also forgot about Marco Motta (Despite mentioning him in the preview) so have put him on the bench in place of Naby Sarr
  • Options
    The club has been very silent about Cousins and Jacko, which suggests that their knock aren't serious. Maybe one or both will feature on Saturday, preferably Cousins
  • Options
    Jacko simply has to be given a rest. We are playing with 10 men otherwise. If he isn't injured then we need a change in midfield anyway.

I think the reason that bloody come in number 4 thread doesn't reappear is that it isn't really even up for debate any more.

Would play Cousins and Ba. Or stick Cousins on the left where he has done ok before, and have Poyet in the middle.
  • Options
    I don't think Cousins or Jackson will be fit to play, but hopefully Igor is?

As for Young or Bergdich or Fox, the welshman has to be dropped otherwise what is the point of signing the Korean?

My team forecast is -

Henderson
    Solly
    Teixeira
    Lennon
    Young
    Gudmundsson
    Poyet
    Ba
    Bergdich
    Makienok
    Vetokele

Subs: Pope, Fanni, Johnson, Diarra, Reza, Sanogo, Lookman.
  • Options
    Riga surely must use Yaya instead of Mak to partner Igor ??

If Igor is not fit - then play Looky.

I would rest Cousins or Jacko and play Poyet.

I would send Reza shopping in Knightbridge for the day to see if he can buy some ability.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely Jackson can't start? If he's fit, bring him on with 20m left if we need a goal but with him in midfield it's like we're playing a man down.

Do we know if our new saviour's surname is Yun or Suk-Young? Korean names have the surname first, like the Chinese, so if he's Yun Suk-Young in Korean his surname is Yun, but if our media have Anglicised his name, then it's Suk-Young. Regardless, I'd have him at left back and Bergdich in front of him.

If Igor's still being put back together by the Dr Frankensteins in our medical department, we'll struggle to get a point. If he starts and lasts the course, we've got a fighting chance.
  • Options
    Bought tickets today for some reason...

Henderson

Solly
    Motta
    Teixeira
    Young

JBG
    Poyet
    Cousins (if fit)
    Bergdich

Igor/Sanogo
    Makienok

Subs: Pope, Fox, Lennon, Igor/Sanogo, Lookman, Reza, Ba
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Surely Jackson can't start? If he's fit, bring him on with 20m left if we need a goal but with him in midfield it's like we're playing a man down.

Do we know if our new saviour's surname is Yun or Suk-Young? Korean names have the surname first, like the Chinese, so if he's Yun Suk-Young in Korean his surname is Yun, but if our media have Anglicised his name, then it's Suk-Young. Regardless, I'd have him at left back and Bergdich in front of him.

If Igor's still being put back together by the Dr Frankensteins in our medical department, we'll struggle to get a point. If he starts and lasts the course, we've got a fighting chance.

If the Korean lad plays, I sincerely hope he is not blowing out of his a*se after 60 mins or else I'll be shouting 'suck back'!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Charlton 6 - 0 Fulham or Fulham 0 - 6 Charlton
  • Options
    Crispy said:

Bought tickets today for some reason...

Henderson

Solly
    Motta
    Teixeira
    Young

JBG
    Poyet
    Cousins (if fit)
    Bergdich

Igor/Sanogo
    Makienok

Subs: Pope, Fox, Lennon, Igor/Sanogo, Lookman, Reza, Ba

Lol I know the feeling, ever since I bought Brentford away I keep asking myself why did I do that. As far as this game goes another draw 0-0.
  • Options
    Likewise, calculating the number of drinks I could have bought with the money I spent on a ticket, and how many more I'll have to buy afterwards..

Please rest Jackson. I love the guy, but he was absolutely awful last week. He's clearly knackered. Him and Cousins in the centre of midfield has been a nightmare more often than not, and as mentioned before with the quality in Fulham's midfield (Scott who?) you can easily imagine them dominating.

Hope Vetokele's back, but only if he's actually fit. If not, feel like Sanogo did a lot to earn a start when he came on against Cardiff...

Prediction: passing out in a gutter in Putney
  • Options
    Just can't see us winning, though maybe sneak a bore-fest draw...

So that means both Sanogo and Makienok will score hat-tricks.

• Options

Likewise, calculating the number of drinks I could have bought with the money I spent on a ticket, and how many more I'll have to buy afterwards..

Please rest Jackson. I love the guy, but he was absolutely awful last week. He's clearly knackered. Him and Cousins in the centre of midfield has been a nightmare more often than not, and as mentioned before with the quality in Fulham's midfield (Scott who?) you can easily imagine them dominating.

Hope Vetokele's back, but only if he's actually fit. If not, feel like Sanogo did a lot to earn a start when he came on against Cardiff...

JJ is 33 and Parker is 35, so if age comes into it, JJ should be fitter
  • Options
    Not our happiest hunting ground. But I can't see a pasting though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

JJ is 33 and Parker is 35, so if age comes into it, JJ should be fitter
    Not really how it works though is it. I'm 25, and I'm pretty sure I'd be shit in midfield for us as well...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    Terrible record over there. Won't get any better. 3-1 defeat. Another nail in the coffin.
  • Options
    Prediction:
    Won't make it to the game after the boat trip.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Gonna get fucked bandy... 4-0

EDIT {Charlton that is... unfortunately!}
  • Options
    4-0 defeat.
  • Options
    The start of the final few nails to go in our coffin.
    McCormack is guaranteed to score probably Parker too.

4-0
  • Options
    We have a terrible record against Fulham but, they're barely any better than us,

I suspect that at home they'll be nervous, and the crowd edgy, especially with Bristol and MKD improving. If we can take the lead, the tension may get to the Fulham players
  • Options

The club has been very silent about Cousins and Jacko, which suggests that their knock aren't serious. Maybe one or both will feature on Saturday, preferably Cousins

The club are pretty silent about most things so nothing to read into that.

Narrow defeat.