Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who remembers this calamity?

3-1 up and in cruise control. What could possibly go wrong?
The thing is, you can see it happening in front of your eyes and nothing and no one can do anything about it once the tide has turned.
Proper Charlton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifQhdIA7GwM

Comments

• Yes, I was there for that one. Still, at least there were goals!
  • Was this the game that turned Tom Hovi into a legend?
  • edited February 2016

Was this the game that turned Tom Hovi into a legend?

I think he was a late sub, but enough to do some damage!
    Edit: I'm pretty sure he's number 14 at the back when the winner went in.
  • I remember a couple of fans in the E Block had a punch up during the first half and one of them got kicked out at half time, lucky sod.
  • The pace of Phil Chapple!
  • Truly horrible. What made it even worse was that I had to witness it in the company of my best mate - a Derby fan. Lording it at half time, even a bit embarrassed for him as a guest at the Valley, then calamity struck leading to perennial piss-taking ever since. How I hated Marco Gabbiadini.

On the positive side I think this was the end of the road for Curbs with our then central defensive dream team of Chapple and McLeary, who soon made way for the youth of Rufus and reassuring solidity of Sweaty Balmer. I could be making it up though.
  • shocking defending.
  • As bad as Hovi was for the 10 minutes he was on the pitch, the real problem was Chapple and Mcleary. Total rubbish that day and the season was saved once Rufus/Balmer were put in the side. Would have gone down had that not happened
  • Thanks for backing me up @JohnnyH2. Not quite going senile yet then.
  • what we you give now for a player like Gabiadini
  • Sponsored links:

• I was hoping it would be that Leaburn goal where the ref stopped it on the line. Does that exist in video form anywhere!?
  • what we you give now for a player like Gabiadini

Even Tom Hovi would be an improvement for us now!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I was hoping it would be that Leaburn goal where the ref stopped it on the line. Does that exist in video form anywhere!?

That was the 5-1 home win v Notts County. I always thought that incident would have been good for 'What happened next' on A Question of Sport.
  • Won't it be great when we can have this thread title and then when you open it up it is just a picture of RD and KM and we can look back with relief that it isn't that bad any more... One day, one day
  • Chapple was an awful defender
  • We done the same to Newcastle a few years earlier
  • Stone said:

Was this the game that turned Tom Hovi into a legend?

I think he was a late sub, but enough to do some damage!
    Edit: I'm pretty sure he's number 14 at the back when the winner went in.
    Yep...Hovi is the 14 dog in that clip.

Mortimer's defending doesn't look too clever either does it.....whingy little header!

The modern boo-boys would've had a field day at that game!!!

PS PROPER goal-nets! See how the ball nestles in there in all its glory. Not silly bounce outs like today!
  • Boysie said:

Chapple was an awful defender

That's a bit harsh, but he was the only player I've ever seen who could be described as having a spectacular lack of pace.
  • Stone said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I was hoping it would be that Leaburn goal where the ref stopped it on the line. Does that exist in video form anywhere!?

That was the 5-1 home win v Notts County. I always thought that incident would have been good for 'What happened next' on A Question of Sport.
    I have a recollection that it was indeed on that show. For those that don't know, Leaburn promptly put the ball and the ref in the back of the net.
  • Sponsored links:

• As Max Boyce would and did say often

I WAS THERE!!!!

(Remembering Max Boyce might be a contender for the old git thread)
  • MrLargo said:

Boysie said:

Chapple was an awful defender

You get what you pay for, £100k I think he cost from Cambridge. Played for us for 5 years, captained us for a bit as well. Definitely capable of the occasional calamity moment but couldn't fault him for commitment. I'd take him over £1.6million worth of Naby Sarr.
    Phil Chapple was ok. Scored more than his fair share of goals too (including away to QPR in our promotion season). £100k was a decent price to get him for but he would've struggled like fuck in today's Championship in the same way that Les Berry would've.
  • Whatever happened to that Pardew fella? Such a modest, unassuming character
  • I was there.
  • cafcfan said:

Stone said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I have a recollection that it was indeed on that show. For those that don't know, Leaburn promptly put the ball and the ref in the back of the net.
    I don't watch it but whenever it's been on I've wondered if today's the day! Didn't realise it was that fixture. Mind has meshed up a lot of memories. That was the infamous Kim Grant game wasn't it?
  • I was there - had a massive hangover - felt better at half time - felt even worse at full time - gabiadini always did well against us - I hated him along with Duncan Ferguson who also seemed to have a knack of doing is over

Is it pardew who scores the (semi) over head goal ?

Who scores out 3rd ?
  • Mark Robson got the 3rd.
  • I was there - had a massive hangover - felt better at half time - felt even worse at full time - gabiadini always did well against us - I hated him along with Duncan Ferguson who also seemed to have a knack of doing is over

Is it pardew who scores the (semi) over head goal ?

Who scores out 3rd ?

Mark Robson
  • Stone said:

Mark Robson got the 3rd.

Nice player - easy on the eye - we had some decent skilful players in that period TBH
  • Charlton Life and FB would have gone into mealt down if they had been around then.