Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Potential significant step in cancer treatment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35586834

90pc of patients who had 2-5 months to live went in to complete remission.

Baby steps it may be but that is incredibly exciting. One day we will cure cancer I am sure of it.

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic. Anything towards the cure of that bastard illness can only be good news
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Hopefully the research on Motor Neurone Disease is going just as successfully... It doesnt get the coverage that Cancer seems to get yet is so much more of a bastard as with MND you've got no hope of recovery at present.

*Please no one take offence or see my comment as bitter as have lost one Grandad to MND and the other to Cancer.

Good call mate - anything that helps with the terminally ill, is a massive step in the right direction
  • Options
    What's additionally great about the progress in cancer research is how prominent UK scientists are. Crick, Watson and Franklin discovered DNA. Prof. Sir David Lane discovered p53. Sir Paul Nurse won his Nobel Prize in a London lab...

Of the things the UK shouts about, science and technology really is justified. The UK really is damn good at science.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Hopefully the research on Motor Neurone Disease is going just as successfully... It doesnt get the coverage that Cancer seems to get yet is so much more of a bastard as with MND you've got no hope of recovery at present.

*Please no one take offence or see my comment as bitter as have lost one Grandad to MND and the other to Cancer.

Having watched a neighbour suffer this over the last year I can echo how awful it is. His funeral is tomorrow. He was a really decent man, funny and much loved by his family.
    The illness took everything away from him. About 3 weeks before he died, I had to keep an eye on him, while his wife rushed round to get his prescription which had been cocked up.
    We had to communicate through sometimes a bit of guesswork on my part and him trying to write words on a small whiteboard. We somehow had a laugh about football and he told me I was lucky to have the kids I have got. It was only half an hour or so but it was really a special moment for me to have spent some time with him before he died.
    We all go in the end, but MND is a particularly cruel way to leave this mortal coil.
    I believe it was this illness that took Distant Addick ( I think that was his name on Net Addicks not sure if he was still around for CL?) some of you might remember him. One of his happiest last moments was sending the website count of another Claus Jensen into overdrive as I recall :-)
  • Options
    Certainly seems hopeful. Not peer reviewed yet though so some way off hitting mainstream medicine. One thing I find encouraging is that the science behind this ought to at least be possible to adapt to other cancers
  • Options
    Let's hope it becomes affordable.
  • Options
    Let's hope for a cure for all diseases one day. I know it's a lot to hope but even so.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Solidgone said:

Let's hope it becomes affordable.

This a hundred times over...

The amount of money that charities are getting from people must be staggering and as proven with the wage that David Milliband gets ($400k) not all the money is going to the right places, that naturally means that should we find a cure for these big diseases, some top bosses will no longer be required and will lose their hefty wages, something I'm sure they wont give up quietly.

*It might be the case that there is no top boss earning stupid amounts of money through some of the Foundations, I really hope not
  • Options

What's additionally great about the progress in cancer research is how prominent UK scientists are. Crick, Watson and Franklin discovered DNA. Prof. Sir David Lane discovered p53. Sir Paul Nurse won his Nobel Prize in a London lab...

Of the things the UK shouts about, science and technology really is justified. The UK really is damn good at science.

And Maurice Wilkins, who also got the Nobel Prize for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Granpa said:

This for me may become the biggest news in my lifetime. In July 1969 my son aged 9 was diagnosed as having Leukaemia, and for the next 2 years was treated at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton. We lost him in November 1971, after he had been something of a guinea pig for ever improving techniques in treatment, including separating the red and white blood cells which eventually led to blood transplants.
    Since that time we have watched the introduction of new treatments providing better survival rates. I have yearned to live to see a cure so that I can say that my son contributed, and that his life was not wasted. This could be a wonderful breakthrough, and I know that when the time comes I will go with a smile on my face. God bless all the people who do this work, I am in awe of them and it has allowed me at this troubled time for my football club to remember just what are the real things that matter in our lives.

If there is one post on this that puts everything at CAFC into perspective you have just provided it.....heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time.
  • Options
    Thank you Damo, Leukaemia was at that time the biggest killer of children. My wife and I were fortunate to come together with our young daughter as a family, and we have ensured that our four adult grandchildren know his story. At a time like that you encounter people who make you feel humble in a world that seems to have lowered many of its standards. I appreciate your comments.
  • Options

And Maurice Wilkins, who also got the Nobel Prize for it.
    Indeed he did, although my omission of him was a conscious one because of where I stand on the whole "only three names on a nobel prize and Franklin wasn't one of them" debate...
  • Options
    This sounds like more than baby steps for some types of cancers and possibly the way forwards for all cancers. Hopefully time will prove this.
  • Options
    I survived leukaemia after a bone marrow transplant at the Royal Marsden in Surrey in 2008. I was always aware that just a decade or two earlier I would probably have died.

I just wish I could thank granpa's son and other 'guinea pigs' in person.

I also met staff and patients at the Marsden who made me feel humble. It was the only time in my life when I've felt that everyone was pulling together to make the world a better place. I still feel privileged to have experienced that.

One in three people get cancer and it always surprises me that we spend so little on research into something which is nearly curable.

If you have three children it is almost inevitable that one of them will suffer from cancer in the future. Yet for some reason, we think that a few quid in a charity box is all we can bother to spare to prevent it happening.

Obviously I'm a bit biased on this one!
  • Options
    Nice to hear your story Steve, when we arrived at the Marsden in 1969 a young Doctor called Ray Poles had recently arrived and was experimenting with the idea of bone marrow transplants which eventually saved you and many others. In the nineties my brother in law was diagnosed with cancer, was treated by Ray Poles who was about to retire, and survives to this day. When I look back to my son enduring seven weeks in isolation, lumbar punctures etc it is very heartening to hear stories such as yours, and to realise the wonderful progress that has been made by wonderful people. Since those days we have supported a charity now called Children with Cancer who do brilliant work in support of research, anyone who is able to help will I'm sure be interested in their story.