Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is it in our Interest to stay in the Championship

edited February 2016 in General Charlton
Yes is the answer….
Is it in the Regime's interest to stay up…. They don't care..
If we remain in the Championship they will have to Invest in the First Team as we will have the usual Clear Out at the end of the Season.
If we are relegated they will have the Usual Clear out but will then just play the Academy Boys to showcase them. Low budget will suit them fine.
I think that we need to support the team for them to escape relegation and stay up.
I would propose that we should start a campaign now by telling all Season Ticket Holders not to renew regardless of the end of season outcome. Still support the Team just buy the cheapest tickets if you don't have a current season ticket.
I think the only way to get rid of them is to get the wider public and News Media to ridicule the way they are running the club. (we would all agree with that)

Embarrass them by not having.
No…..Season Ticket Sales
No…..Local or Corporate Sponsorship
No ….Merchandising sales
No…..Program Sales
No…..Drinks or Food sales in the ground
No…. Televised Games (we usually lose ) Lobby the TV companies

Just get back to Grass Roots and support the team like it was at the very beginning before owners got involved.

How Embarrassing for KM & RD when the Opposing Team, Owners and Directors visit. All they will talk about during their visit is CAFC is an example of how NOT to run a FOOTBALL Club and wonder how Roland made his fortune…..

Ultimately we are FANS and SUPPORTERS we either attend or choose not to.

CUSTOMERS take their CUSTOM elsewhere..

CAFC is OUR CLUB DONT LET THEM TAKE IT AWAY FROM US...

Comments

• @Valcross You might want to edit this if you still have time to 'having no season ticket sales', etc. instead of 'not having no…'.
  • edited February 2016
    Double negative overload. Cool.
  • One issue with boycotting all of these things is, even if it were achievable, how easy is it to turn them all back on once the current regime leave ?

I get that people want to hit Roland in the pocket, so do I, but let's make sure that we do so in a way that leaves us with a viable club once he's gone.
  • @Valcross By the way, we're British, not Yanks. We will boycott programme sales, not program sales.

Apologies re my English that's what happens with spell check.
  • Valcross said:

@Valcross By the way, we're British, not Yanks. We will boycott programme sales, not program sales.

I guessed as much. American computer programs telling us how to spell programme.
  • se9addick said:

One issue with boycotting all of these things is, even if it were achievable, how easy is it to turn them all back on once the current regime leave ?

I get that people want to hit Roland in the pocket, so do I, but let's make sure that we do so in a way that leaves us with a viable club once he's gone.

What I mean is that next season we still support the team by going to the games but not the regime. Not buying season tickets as this is money in the bank for them when going to games just spend the bare minimum. Cheapest seats. Nothing else. Have a drink and eat before getting to the game. Go on the official site instead of buying a programme ( spelt properly this time) It would show RD as being a farce. We should be making the case now not to renew for next year. Just pay match by match so if you don't go they don't benefit. If it's decided to boycott a game then it will hit them in the pocket as well as having an empty stadium for the media to ridicule. I know that with the offers etc I am out of pocket buying a season ticket It wasn't an issue until this lot took over
    I think this biggest problem is that if we get out of the habit of going it would be difficult to get back into it.
  • Valcross said:

@Valcross By the way, we're British, not Yanks. We will boycott programme sales, not program sales.

You need to get some students to do this for you.
  • Valcross said:

se9addick said:

One issue with boycotting all of these things is, even if it were achievable, how easy is it to turn them all back on once the current regime leave ?

What I mean is that next season we still support the team by going to the games but not the regime. Not buying season tickets as this is money in the bank for them when going to games just spend the bare minimum. Cheapest seats. Nothing else. Have a drink and eat before getting to the game. Go on the official site instead of buying a programme ( spelt properly this time) It would show RD as being a farce. We should be making the case now not to renew for next year. Just pay match by match so if you don't go they don't benefit. If it's decided to boycott a game then it will hit them in the pocket as well as having an empty stadium for the media to ridicule. I know that with the offers etc I am out of pocket buying a season ticket It wasn't an issue until this lot took over
    I think this biggest problem is that if we get out of the habit of going it would be difficult to get back into it.
    Your final sentence is my point exactly, but more so encouraging corporate sponsors to desist - they'll soon find other ways to spend their marketing budgets and we can't just get them to drop everything and come back to us when we decide that everything is ok.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have got a less complicated plan.DON'T go next season. I have already decided that I am going to carry on supporting the U18s and U21s. I will then spend Saturday 3.00 at Park View Road the home of the mighty Wings.
  • All of this assumes Duchatalet is in this for financial reasons. I believe we are a social experiment to prove he knows best. He has deep pockets and can write a lot off against tax anyway. Relegation will be a blow but it won't alter his thinking or his supreme arrogance.
  • I just cannot make no decision yet about whether or not I will or will not be getting none of these things. Or not.
  • dickplumb said:

I have got a less complicated plan.DON'T go next season. I have already decided that I am going to carry on supporting the U18s and U21s. I will then spend Saturday 3.00 at Park View Road the home of the mighty Wings.

I am thinking of doing the same, Dick, but the problem I have is that by contributing to Valley Gold I am helping Roland produce youngsters to finance his vision.
  • If we are relegated, I would not expect a change in philosophy. I agree the likely scenario would be fire sale of most marketable players to get wage bill down closer to break even for league 1. I would expect all other cost cutting measures to be applied too. Basically a downsizing of operations as adherence to budget seems the priority here.

Following the last successful League 1 campaign, SCP said that in order to secure promotion the owners took a big gamble in strengthening the squad which paid off. Rest assured the current ones won't, or rather they'll play the 'academy player' card and gamble, 'playing chicken' with our League 1 status at the wrong end of the table.

I think they will assume that the non renewal of Season Ticket threat proves substantially hollow. I don't believe they are not planning for League 1, although the current panic acquisitions of loan players does suggest they are genuinely trying keep us in the championship. Too little too late I fear, but I'm a glass half empty kind of guy (justifiably so at present!).

As an aside, it also worries me that during this crisis time, when a huge hit on revenues is likely, that redevelopment of the Jimmy Seed Stand is even up for discussion. It's not unsafe as far as I know and I wasn't aware that away fans complain about it.

Furthermore, why do the regime plans have no time frames assigned to them. If we go down, then the best case immediate return, not likely, would mean that after four years of the current regime they might be back where they started. The short term looks like failure to me and why do we need to take a step back to go forward anyway, as some have suggested?

However I'm trying to second guess people who don't appear to make rational decisions.

In answer to the question posted....'Yes' for all the genuine fans who will be there long after this regime have gone, never to darken our doorstep again.
  • As a fan yes it is, I'd rather be losing week in week out to Forest/Wolves/Birmingham/Derby than week in week out to Shrewsbury/Walsall/Oldham/Fleetwood.
  • Double negative overload. Cool.

Actually, thinking about it, double negatives are a no-no for me.

• Relegation is financially disastrous for the regime. Selling a club even further from the Premier league will be much more difficult, and further increases the likelihood that RD will never see the majority of that £38million debt.

Reducing operating losses by playing youngsters etc is a drop in the ocean.
  • If we are relegated, I would not expect a change in philosophy. I agree the likely scenario would be fire sale of most marketable players to get wage bill down closer to break even for league 1. I would expect all other cost cutting measures to be applied too. Basically a downsizing of operations as adherence to budget seems the priority here.

Following the last successful League 1 campaign, SCP said that in order to secure promotion the owners took a big gamble in strengthening the squad which paid off. Rest assured the current ones won't, or rather they'll play the 'academy player' card and gamble, 'playing chicken' with our League 1 status at the wrong end of the table.

I think they will assume that the non renewal of Season Ticket threat proves substantially hollow. I don't believe they are not planning for League 1, although the current panic acquisitions of loan players does suggest they are genuinely trying keep us in the championship. Too little too late I fear, but I'm a glass half empty kind of guy (justifiably so at present!).

As an aside, it also worries me that during this crisis time, when a huge hit on revenues is likely, that redevelopment of the Jimmy Seed Stand is even up for discussion. It's not unsafe as far as I know and I wasn't aware that away fans complain about it.

Furthermore, why do the regime plans have no time frames assigned to them. If we go down, then the best case immediate return, not likely, would mean that after four years of the current regime they might be back where they started. The short term looks like failure to me and why do we need to take a step back to go forward anyway, as some have suggested?

However I'm trying to second guess people who don't appear to make rational decisions.

In answer to the question posted....'Yes' for all the genuine fans who will be there long after this regime have gone, never to darken our doorstep again.

You have hit the nail on the head. Second guessing an owner who does not think rationally is virtually impossible!
  • In answer to the original question, "Yes".

If Roland intends always to somehow break even and continues with his experiment, there will be no push to get us back into the Championship, as the focus will be on cost savings. We'll more likely end up in League Two, where he will, again, cut costs to break even. I'm not sure how far we will fall before he gives up on the experiment or us.
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree with Saga there is no evidence that RD intends to end his experiment. He hasn't invested enough in this team to keep it in The Championship hence he will cut costs further after relegation and the same will happen again....unless he spends money on first team players which we all know is against his theory of how to run a club.

Unless he sells I see this painful decline continuing. Do we need to stay in The Championship? 100% Yes, Will we stay in The Championship? Not a chance we are crap.
  • Being relegated worries me this summer as I worry that Roland will then underestimate League One and we'll get actual Sunday League (Belgian Third Division) players behind signed from the likes of VVV Hamme... Wouldnt surprise me at all.
  • edited March 2016
    He doesn't care about being hit in the pocket by a few hundred thousand here and there with ticket sales.

If was worried about things like that then he wouldn't have spent big money on the likes of Naby Sarr, or bothered refurbishing the ground.

What gets to him is anything that hurts his ego. The actions at the Boro game and the subsequent statement from him showed that.

If you want to continue to rile him then make sure we keep getting the name of the club in the media. We are going to need at least some fans in the ground next season to ensure that happens ;)