Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

And we thought we were bad!

Just watched the Villa massacre... so called top team with a millionaire owner. Result... losing 6-0 at home. Obviously will playing in the Championship next year (sad really, I was looking forward to visiting Villa Park.) They were awful, a team that has really given up. Have lots of sympathy for the fans but to be fair they have been dicing with relegation for several seasons now, sooner or later your luck runs out. Same thing with us, the league table doesn't lie.

Comments

• There are other similarities. A lot of their fans are consoling themselves with the belief that an instant promotion will follow. But it won't, and a team as bad as they are still faces a few seasons of rebuilding and a lot more misery. We face the same future, albeit a division lower than Villa will be in.
  • As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought has to be Villa, really are currently worse than us. Villa will have enormous parachute payments which should guarantee they finish around 18th next season in the Champ. If things go really badly, they could fall straight through in a couple of seasons, but who knows where Roland's Revolution will have taken us to by then?
  • Interesting the comparison done on MOTD between Villa and Sunderland and how aggressive Sunderland were from the off to tell Utd you've got a game on today and to get the fans up for it. Something I think we have rarely done this season at home.
  • Probably the National League with local derby's against the likes of Welling, the Fleet and Bromley... actually we will probably be ground-share with Welling by then as The Valley will be a block of flats!
  • rananegra said:

As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought has to be Villa, really are currently worse than us. Villa will have enormous parachute payments which should guarantee they finish around 18th next season in the Champ. If things go really badly, they could fall straight through in a couple of seasons, but who knows where Roland's Revolution will have taken us to by then?

Me too. And I think even we have a bigger chance of staying up than them. As for where Duchatelet's stupid revolution will have taken us to? I really hope he'll be gone by then!!!
  • I've been to Villa Park, really lovely ground, shame about some of the inhabitants.

Remember, Randy Lerner described himself as a genuine supporter of Villa, and has a Villa tattoo on his ankle. He has poured a fair amount of money into the club, much of it on bad transfers and wages dictated by bad managers going back to Martin O'Neil. This is another one that I hope will be a canary in the coal mine for the Premier League, although of course it won't. Even with all the money flowing in at the moment, it takes obscene amounts to put together decent sides, and without continuity at the top, or a group os smart business and football men (and there aren't a lot of those about), it's easy to find yourself hiring a new manager and rebuilding the team year-on-year.

That said, any side who hired Alek Macleish and Tim Sherwood deserves to go down. Proper football men, they is.
  • edited February 2016
    Yeah, it's really a very difficult business. Reading your post makes me miss the Premiership years we had. We were such a well run club. If only Murray had made the right decision of who to succeed Curbs..... How many clubs have had the same success and stability since? I can only come up with Stoke City.

Just what made Duchatelet decide to enter into this highly risky business? Honestly speaking, after so much damage he's done to our club, I will be very glad the day he loses most of his precious money and realises this football business is absolutely not for him.