Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice on holidaying abroad with a baby

Looking for some help on choosing a place to go with a new baby and thought there's no where better to ask than here! Me and the missus became parents for the first time in November and love our trips away. Went to Budapest last year for my 30th and Dubrovnik , Croatia in September and loved both places. Now with an almost 3 month old keeping us busy we've started thinking about our next trip away but know it will be completely different than what we're used to. He will be about 7 months if we go in June or almost 11 months if we decide on early October so basically any advice would be helpful.

We are thinking somewhere with a short flight like Spain but no idea where or what we should be looking for. Being a dad for the first time, although tiring, is such an amazing experience and I absolutely love it. Would it even be a good idea to take him away so young or should we wait until he's abit older?

Comments

• Options
    We brought 3 up. Best to get them used to travelling when still quite young. We used to drive down to Spain for our annual holiday when the youngest was 3, and they took it all in their stride from then on, and we had loads of amazing family holidays.
  • Options
    Portugal and a villa mate
  • Options
    It's easier to travel with a baby before they start crawling simply because they are quite happy to sit in a pushchair. After that he will be fussing to get out. If you're talking about visiting cities, I would suggest not to bother between 1-5 years old unless you go in summer and visit lots of parks and gardens. Otherwise he will just get bored of it and be fussing all day. Therefore GO IN JUNE this year.

Nowadays with three children aged 7,5 & 1 I look for places with a kids club, and I never thought I'd accept such holidays. You get to the point where if they're happy, you're happy.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited February 2016
    Took our boy to Spain (Puerto banus) when he was 10 months old, late August early September, plenty of shade and high factor cream and hats, he was fine.
  • Options
    Booked with Thomson to Mallorca when our son was just over 1. Great service, very family friendly and family orientated. They assign seats on plane based on child ages so no worrying about him screaming inflight. We stayed in Cala Bona, highly recommended.
  • Options
    Jimmy is spot on with the Kids Club. Eurocamps did excellent Kids Clubs, and as Jimmy says, the Kids are having a great time, means you will too.
  • Options
    We took our twins away from 3 months of age and went regular to caleta de fuste in Fuerteventura. The flights a bit longer than main land Spain but the town is incredibly family and child friendly with a lovely horse shoe shaped bay and miles of sandy beach.
  • Options
    We took our boy away to southern Spain in September when he was 8 months old. He was fine with everything, taking off and landing was a bit of a problem but if you download some stuff from cbeebies onto your phone or laptop it should keep them occupied for the majority of the flight.

When we were over there he was fine, just kept him in the shade and took him into the pool a couple of times a day which he loved. Get them used to a pool before you go, we took him to crook log a few times in the run up to going.

We loved our 1st holiday with our son and I'm sure you'll love it too, but we did have both sets of grandparents with us to help look after him, we won't be as lucky this June when it'll just be the 3 of us in majorca!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best time to travel with kids is when they are very young. Before they can walk is even better! Get them used to it and don't even pay for them before they are two of course.

I would say just do what you would normally do for holiday (obviously not including the lads piss up away!).

Ours both did flights to LA before they were 1.
  • Options
    Definitely before they walk. The flight is so much easier with them just sat on your lap rather than desperate to get down and walk around.

We went to Tenerife because you could guarantee sunshine, not too far in a plane at 4 hours etc. Also went to Club La Costa in Fuerengirola(?), Spain.

Would recommend both but really just take plenty of sun cream and hats for the little one and get one of those UV protective body suits and some form of float for the pool, we got a 'car' shaped one that had a roof which was cool.

Kids clubs etc great when older but unlikely to be able to / want to drop them off when that young.

• Options
    Go somewhere like Majorca where there will be loads of screaming kids on the plane so you won't feel bad if yours kicks off. Also all the hotels and restaurants and bars are used to kids and don't frown upon them. Then start saving your pennies for when you have got to pay school holiday prices in five years time.
  • Options
    Oh and check if their milk brand is available in a supermarket near your hotel.
  • Options
    Minorca was great with my oldest. We got one of those things that kerp the sun off children, and some factor 50 sun cram and she was fine. We flew to Prague when she was about 9 months, and the take off knocked her out both times, though the descent ayed up with her ears.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Oh and check if their milk brand is available in a supermarket near your hotel.

Great call
  • Options
    Your son is too young for kids clubs etc so wouldn't bother with hotels personally. We took ours when they were very young, your son will still need stuff steralizing so think home from home is best option. Get a villa with a pool, near a town or resort so if you wanna go out you can, but if he's tired or you are.... You can also opt for a night on the patio with bottle of wine, bbq and your son tucked up indoors.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

They're not holidays, they're the same stress in a different country.

Yeah, while sharing the joy, free of charge, with other travellers and torturing a child who doesn't understand why their ears feel like they are going to explode on descent.

Do the decent thing, go to Dymchurch.
    Agreed. Dorset or Cornwall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Take your baby wherever you like by whatever means you like.
    It'll be fine.
  • Options
    Thailand full of swedes with new borns due to their favourable maternity and paternity conditions....

Seriously!
  • Options
    Child friendly insect repellent and don't forget to take the Calpol.

We take Piriton Syrup, too, but this comes in a 150ml bottle, so can't go in hand luggage. Our GP prescribes it in 100ml bottles, so we don't need to risk putting it in the suitcase and the bottle breaking.
  • Options
    For flights, a bottle/drink for take off and landing, so they are sucking at something...helps with the ear pressure.... Have fun.
  • Options
    Don't put baby in the corner unless you want a ruck with Patrick Swayze
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    cafcfan said:

They're not holidays, they're the same stress in a different country.

Yeah, while sharing the joy, free of charge, with other travellers and torturing a child who doesn't understand why their ears feel like they are going to explode on descent.

Do the decent thing, go to Magaluf with your mates.
  • Options
    Have been holidaying in Greece (Kalamaki, on Zakynthos) for years and having the children didnt stop us - daughter was 10 months old on her first visit and she was already walking!
  • Options
    Pre order nappies and baby food from Boots at The airport (assuming Gatwick). Means you don't have to find room in the suitcase for them so you can pack more stuff!