Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bag Search West Stand

I don't know if this has been covered in another thread, but did anyone else get bag-searched inside the turnstiles yesterday?
I went in by the first gates in the West Stand at about 2.15pm, clad in 'old-git' gear befitting my age (older than most of you!), trainer trousers/zip jacket, shoulder bag (for thermos & werthers!- actually sandwiches and bottle of fruit squash!)- and black & white scarf, and was stopped by a steward and subjected to a bag-search! Nothing was taken, not even the drink bottle, but I found this an affront to being a law-abiding s/t holding home fan! I gather from other sources that the searching was intermittent, but that things like deodorant sprays were confiscated!

Comments

• Must be why the football stinks these days :smile:
  • Wife had her bag 'thoroughly checked' last home game
  • chilham said:

I don't know if this has been covered in another thread, but did anyone else get bag-searched inside the turnstiles yesterday?
    I went in by the first gates in the West Stand at about 2.15pm, clad in 'old-git' gear befitting my age (older than most of you!), trainer trousers/zip jacket, shoulder bag (for thermos & werthers!- actually sandwiches and bottle of fruit squash!)- and black & white scarf, and was stopped by a steward and subjected to a bag-search! Nothing was taken, not even the drink bottle, but I found this an affront to being a law-abiding s/t holding home fan! I gather from other sources that the searching was intermittent, but that things like deodorant sprays were confiscated!

Used to have my bag searched several times a season in the north lower but for some reason the 'search squad' have been absent for the last few matches.

I wonder if certain people (KM & Cahones) are frightened of something happening near the directors box?
  • I get bag searched every game as does anyone with a bag in the north upper
  • edited February 2016
    not really sure what you're objecting to here, you were picked out for a random bag search and had nothing taken from you. hardly anything out of the ordinary
  • A group of lads behind me entering the Covered End were asked their ages for some reason.
  • chilham said:

Was this west lower ? The fact that you was wearing a black & white scarf as well may have had contributed to the instruction to search.
  • Sponsored links:

• There were bag searches in the north stand, yesterday. Some deodorant confiscated. A slightly too rude man doing the searches. But nothing out the ordinary.
  • edited February 2016
    Bag search have always happened intermittently haven't they?? Same at any sporting events.
  • I am used to bag searches at other sporting events so not a surprise. But given that this is Charlton, more likely to think this is some ham-fisted attempt at stopping contraband (wrong coloured scarves, banners etc) from coming in. Hard to oppose because they can just cite it being a "security issue" ... the modern era's version of Health & Safety, something that allows the authorities to do anything.
  • There were two stewards just inside the south end entrance to the west lower, unusually. I went in just after 2pm, and saw them and they looked at me as if they might stop me for a search. I knew what they were looking for (banners, etc) so didn't make eye contact and walked past them. We can expect more of the same from Pinocchio over coming weeks...and with less people coming each week, we should all expect to be chosen (at random) for a search at some point...
  • edited February 2016
    I'd expect to have a bag searched at any sporting event these days and would have no problem with it in the current high terrorism alert climate. They search absolutely everyone at The Oval when England play, takes 5 seconds, no problem.
  • I was asked to open my bag in West Lower yesterday for the first time. As I carry a larger bag with a brolly, diet coke for taking medication, and other bits and bobs, was not surprised. He didn't really search it, just looked in, and never asked me to open my handbag.
  • Wife had her bag 'thoroughly checked' last home game

Ooh err missus
  • I'm going to take a bag full of rubber snakes every game this season in the hope I get searched. I'll try and film the reaction if I do
  • Apart from the famous example of the deadly pencil case, has anybody ever had an item taken, or been refused entry because of what has been found in a bag search?
    What exactly would the searchers do if they found you had several bags of flour with you, or a nuclear missile?
  • Sponsored links:

• IAIA
    edited February 2016
    Spot the posters who don't go to away matches.

Lots of people saying they were searched because of protests, no protest-related items taken.
  • I get bag searched every game as does anyone with a bag in the north upper

This,but always outside the ground and not once through the turnstiles
  • Thankfully, they only searched my bag.

• rina said:

not really sure what you're objecting to here, you were picked out for a random bag search and had nothing taken from you. hardly anything out of the ordinary

I am objecting to being subjected to a bag search after sixty years of this not happening. I expect it at away games because we are all treated as potential miscreants. Have never seen stewards on the inside at this entry point before, only a couple of guys outside ensuring we know how to present the s/t barcode to the scanner.
  • They're trying to make sure potential protesters think twice by giving hassle and threatening consequences.

But they're wasting their time.
  • I've had the Midland Bank bag searched regularly for 30 years. This is nothing new. It's why my bottle of Dr Pepper always goes in my pocket, otherwise they take the lid. And I've spilt way too much Dr Pepper for that.
  • Bag searches have been happening for several games. Remember Seb's flag which was there yesterday.