Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best decade for being a football fan

Showing my age here but the 1970s was the time I enjoyed football the most. The pitches might have been shit but admission was cheap, loads of flair players, lots of hard tackling and plenty of characters in the game.
The haircuts were something else and we had the pleasure of standing on the terraces.
I'd love to know how the likes of 'Killer',Stan Bowles, Best, Frank Worthington, Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris etc would have coped with the modern game.

Comments

• Early 90s, straight after Italia 90
    Great times for me.
  • No contest, the 1980's with the casual era.

Yep, same for me. Loved football in the 80's.

There were certainly a lot of pastel colours on show
  • Late 80s/early 90s for me

Football then had passion.
  • I was born in 1983 so for me 1996 onwards to 2000
  • edited February 2016
    66-82 talking general football.

Charlton c 74-78 (especially the floodlight games) and 1997 - 2007

Charlton had a bit of fight about them as well.

In those days it was generally not about who you supported, it was where you came from.

Railway stations were never more exciting, even for us trainspotters!
  • Sponsored links:

In those days it was generally not about who you supported, it was where you came from.

Railway stations were never more exciting, even for us trainspotters!
    I remember in the 70s and 80s the danger of fans piling in to each other at tube stations - crowd control was none too sophisticated.
  • Definitely not the current one !
  • cafc4life said:

2030's for me, the decade Charlton end their 10 year run in the conference national and get promoted to league 2 under the management of John Still.Exciting times await us.

John Still will be how old by then?
  • Well the 2000s were pretty special for Charlton. But the 90s were good too, post Italia 90 leaving behind the hooliganism and "casual" crap most of you lot seemed to have enjoyed... :wink:
  • cafc4life said:

2030's for me, the decade Charlton end their 10 year run in the conference national and get promoted to league 2 under the management of John Still.Exciting times await us.

Mate, just you wait until the 2040's, FA Cup second round TWO YEARS IN A ROW !
  • edited February 2016
    the 1920s
  • As an English football fan, it has to be the 1960s.

As a Charlton fan the 2000s for me.
  • 1930s, mahoovie attendances, or what ever time you first started going as it's definitely more fun as a child.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1930s, mahoovie attendances, or what ever time you first started going as it's definitely more fun as a child.

Unless you are a child now and your dad only started taking you to games a couple of years ago, in which case you may find the following of use:

Childline Telephone No. - 0800 1111
  • 1970s and early 1980s...
  • Late 70s early 80s. In my football supporting pomp. Charlton shite most of the time so no change there then...
  • What was the decade with all the crowd violence, racism and players wearing short shorts? That one.
  • Anything pre-1990s.
  • Mid to late 70s
  • Showing my age here but the 1970s was the time I enjoyed football the most. The pitches might have been shit but admission was cheap, loads of flair players, lots of hard tackling and plenty of characters in the game.
    The haircuts were something else and we had the pleasure of standing on the terraces.
    I'd love to know how the likes of 'Killer',Stan Bowles, Best, Frank Worthington, Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris etc would have coped with the modern game.

Bowles, Best and Worthington would've been alright....ability alone would get them through.

Hunter would probably be able to adapt because he was a class player as well as a thug.

Harris wouldn't get away with it.

Hales would be ok at Championship level but only in a team that got the ball in the box and didn't want to play through him.
  • It was the mid to late 90s when Sky invented football and we joined the PL from non league or whatever it was back then.