Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cancer I hate you

I found out recently that a neighbour, Patrick, had been diagnosed with cancer on Xmas Eve. He was a young 69. I'd have said he was a young 60 and in perfect health.

He had brain tumours and the cancer had spread all over.

I've just been told that he died this afternoon, 48 days later. I'm stunned.

RIP Patrick.

Comments

• It is a bastard
  • Sorry for your loss CE.
  • At peace now,

Rip
  • edited February 2016
    Sorry to hear that.

Absolute bastard illness.
  • So very sorry.
  • My dad went last year with it.smoked 30-40 a day ,if it had been lung cancer I think I could have taken that ......but it was bowel and I waswell cut up about it.it's shit
  • My thoughts go to you CE.
  • Sorry to hear about your neighbour. Yes. It can be a bastard disease.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry to hear that, Steve. It's a ghastly business.
  • Sorry to hear that CE. RIP
  • Sorry about your neighbour. Cancer is an evil piece of S&£T!
  • Close friend of mines wife, diagnosed last year with breast cancer, had chemo and was doing well. Relapsed over Christmas, went back into Darenth valley last week, he got told yesterday that it's spread to her brain and lungs, basically it's now a matter of time,heavily sedated, she won't be coming out. Lovely people, from Liverpool originally, spent years trying to adopt, and finally got their wish about 4 years ago, heartbreaking for all concerned.
  • My old man was diagnosed with a brain tumour at 69 but his didn't spread and he lasted another year. He was bed ridden for the last 6 months and basically waiting to die. As harsh as it sounds, the fact it only took 48 days is probably a blessing.

I hear that Dave I wish my old man didn't have to suffer the way he did
  • edited February 2016

My old man was diagnosed with a brain tumour at 69 but his didn't spread and he lasted another year. He was bed ridden for the last 6 months and basically waiting to die. As harsh as it sounds, the fact it only took 48 days is probably a blessing.

I hear that Dave I wish my old man didn't have to suffer the way he did
    He was lucky D, in that he wasn't in pain but heartbreaking to see him waste away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mate I lost my father in law to it and he didn't suffer the way I saw it absolutely horrifically cost me my dad and his opportunity to see two of my three kids, but it's a disease that holds no value on age, wealth, stature I hate the word I hate the disease

I was unwell and admitted to hospital recently and my little girl ran to me in the hospital and said daddy it's not cancer is it, I nearly broke on the spot

They hear it, she read it on signs walking in, the sooner we find the cure the better
  • edited February 2016
    commiserations @Covered End to losing a friend and good neighbour .. as you know I am a survivor, but cancer always leaves scars both mental and physical ..
    nowadays early diagnosis is available for many (but NOT all) cancers and anyone should seek medical advice if they have even the slightest suspicion that they might have a cancer ..
    the internet is packed with advice on spotting all types and although there is often a thin line between hypochondria and genuine health concerns, always get checked out a s a p ..
    the chances of surviving cancer are improving every day .. that of course is no consolation to the family and friends of those who die from this awful disease .. RIP Patrick
  • commiserations @Covered End to losing a friend and good neighbour .. as you know I am a survivor, but cancer always leaves scars both mental and physical ..
    nowadays early diagnosis is available for many (but NOT all) cancers and anyone should seek medical advice if they have even the slightest suspicion that they might have a cancer ..
    the internet is packed with advice on spotting all types and although there is often a thin line between hypochondria and genuine health concerns, always get checked out a s a p ..
    the chances of surviving cancer are improving every day .. that of course is no consolation to the family and friends of those who die from this awful disease .. RIP Patrick

I went last year for a check up, after noticing blood, thankfully nothing to worry about, but still took a hell of a lot to get rid of my male pride and embarrassment.
  • PL54 said:

It seems to be escalating or perhaps social media means we hear about it more even when survival rates are increasing.

Or science means that previous deaths are now more accurately attributed.

Lifestyle is a big issue but people dying of lung cancer who have never smoked etc shows that it is a totally unrelenting disease.

I was in a meeting today about 5 year planning on hospital architecture / design and cancer and dementia were the major issues / fears.

Refined sugar and processed food plays a part I think. **** of a disease.
  • DA9 said:

commiserations @Covered End to losing a friend and good neighbour .. as you know I am a survivor, but cancer always leaves scars both mental and physical ..

I went last year for a check up, after noticing blood, thankfully nothing to worry about, but still took a hell of a lot to get rid of my male pride and embarrassment.
    you did the right thing .. this is a particularly male problem EMBARRASMENT,'I don't want a male doctor poking me about' .. f**k that, get it checked ..
    Too many 'macho' men think a good swear at the problem and a few pints or push ups will cure any disease which dares to attack their body .. they won't, medical intervention might
  • So sorry @Covered End it's a horrible disease as many who will have seen me post before on people who have passed away, will know. I have lost too many family members and friends, particularly in recent years and it really does piss me off.

I have tried through work, with give as you earn, to make sure I do what I can and make sure that my employer does too (they match what I give).

Have seen way too much pain within my family and friends. We have got to find a cure to this shit disease.
  • Had the finger diagnosis recently when I was unwell and mine was enlarged now have to go more regularly for a check everyone should go
  • It seems more prevalent these days but maybe we are fitter, smoke less eat better so less heart related deaths mean the cancer gets more people.

Thoughts to all affected by this horrible disease.
  • I lost my husband in 2001 to NHL...widowed at 43, youngest child 9 yrs old Husband 51...