Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky TV - This Bloody Wind

Anyone else having issues with their Sky TV? Signal has been appalling since yesterday afternoon when the wind picked up. Never had an issue with the signal in high winds before. Sky don't want to know. Apparently that's the way it is in "extreme" weather. £66.00 a month and unwatchable for two days.

Comments

• All good in Dartford mate
  • No problem with the dish in Chelmsford either.
    Have you got a dish or cable?
    Is it possible the high wind has either knocked your dish out of alignment or loosened the fixing so that it's wobbling about when the wind blows?
  • Only get problems in very heavy rain, the dish might have moved, hence no signal it can happen over time.
  • It is a dish. It is on the back of the house and facing directly into the wind. As far as I can tell it hasn't moved or come loose.

Keeps crackling and then dropping to no signal being received. Proper pain in the backside. Never had this with analogue!
  • The cables go brittle over time, it sounds to me like it's making and breaking contact.
  • No problem for me, I think it depends where you live.
  • Mines fine. How old is your dish? May be a problem..
  • Been through the diagnostic tool. Didn't help. Its not exactly blowing a gale here in Sidcup. Stiff breeze at worst. Not impressed. £60.00 callout charge if you want them to come and look at it. Pay them the best part of £800 a year and they charge on top of that to deal with any issues.
  • Take out a sky protect plan then call them out and you're covered
  • Sponsored links:

• Been through the diagnostic tool. Didn't help. Its not exactly blowing a gale here in Sidcup. Stiff breeze at worst. Not impressed. £60.00 callout charge if you want them to come and look at it. Pay them the best part of £800 a year and they charge on top of that to deal with any issues.

Play hardball, tell them to put you through to cancellations. They will ask you why, tell them. Be prepared for them to say "see ya" but stand your ground unless they repair it for free.

• edited February 2016
    It could just be the weather. I lost the signal here in Prague this morning even though it was clear here, it was obviously the weather there interfering with the upload to Astra. Id wait until that storm blows throught and see if it doesnt improve. Can you get radio channels?
  • Going to leave it till tomorrow when I get in from work. Storm will officially be over by then. Been out and had a look at the dish and even when the wind was gusting relatively hard the dish isn't really moving.
  • Pay them the best part of £800 a year and they charge on top of that to deal with any issues.

Get one of these then.
    pulsat.com/products/VU%252b-Solo2-Full-HD-1080p-Twin-Tuner-Linux-PVR-Ready.html?gclid=CMa52Nqu6soCFQjlwgodZIYDSQ
  • Had the same thing in December.
    Got told to check connections of leads going into sky box and dish. the connectors at each end of the cables are on like a threaded plug. The ones on the dish had worked slightly loose so I just tightened them and have had no problems since.
  • After seeing the thread title I thought it would be about farting affecting your Sky reception....
  • How is the signal today, @Clem_Snide ?
  • How is the signal today, @Clem_Snide ?

Given up completely. Spoke to them and kicked off about the engineer cost and they agreed to waive it as I was a long standing customer with no previous call out history.

Have borrowed a signal finder and will have a go at fixing it myself tonight as they can't get out till Friday.
  • In my experience, Virgin have never charged me, if an engineer is required #justsaying.
  • @Clem_Snide - you don't have a Panasonic TV with a built-in freesat tuner by any chance. It seems since December they've been having issues with ITVHD.

joinfreesat.co.uk/panasonic-itv-hd-break-up-issues-on-panasonic-tvs-and-pvrs/
  • Sponsored links:

• Clearly not weather affecting signal, then. Shocking call out charge.
  • Appear to have fixed it myself. Dish had clearly moved.

As its now free I'm still having the engineer call - will play dumb and get him to give it a health check.