Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Storm Imogen

I am awaiting Storm Roland.
Apparently, it will bring considerable misery to houses in the South East area and some outlying districts.

Comments

• 'R' this year is Rhonda.

'N' is Nigel though.
  • Storm Roland allready hit Bexley got the right hump with it.
  • PL54 said:

'R' this year is Rhonda.

'N' is Nigel though.

You seem to know a lot about blowing wind @PL54 :wink:
  • Dartford Bridge has been closed so hope no one wants to go North of the Wall
  • It's called wind, why do we have to clone everything from the states ?
  • We've got (had) a big bamboo plant by the side of our pond. Looked out this morning and it's blown into the deepest, about 4 foot, part of it. God knows how I'm going to get it out, it took 2 of us just to move the empty pot there a few years ago. It's now got a 12 plant and soil in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• there really is some classic banter in this thread.
  • edited February 2016
    *****ABSTRACT FACT OF THE DAY*****

The strongest ever recorded storm globally, was Typhoon Tip

On Oct. 12, 1979, Super Typhoon Tip's central pressure dropped to 870 mb (25.69 inches Hg), the lowest sea-level pressure ever observed on Earth, according to NOAA. Peak wind gusts reached 190 mph (306 kph) while the storm churned over the western Pacific.

Besides having unsurpassed intensity, Super Typhoon Tip is also remembered for its massive size. Tip's diameter of circulation spanned approximately 1,380 miles (2,220 km), setting a record for the largest storm on Earth.

The storm's huge diameter was exactly the same as the distance from New York City to Dallas.

Typhoon Tip slowly weakened before making landfall in southern Japan on Oct. 19, 1979. However, the typhoon was still the most intense to hit Japan's main island of Honshu in more than a decade. Tip claimed the lives of 86 people and injured hundreds of others.

One of the strongest storm's ever to hit Britain was the The Great Storm of 1703

It was a destructive extratropical cyclone that struck central and southern England on 26 November (7 December in today’s calendar), 1703.

High winds caused 2,000 chimney stacks to collapse in London, and winds damaged New Forest, which lost 4,000 oaks. Ships were blown hundreds of miles off-course, and over 1,000 seamen died on the Goodwin Sands alone. News bulletins of casualties and damage were sold all over England – a novelty at that time.

The Church of England declared that the storm was God’s vengeance for the sins of the nation. Daniel Defoe thought it was a divine punishment for poor performance against Catholic armies in the War of the Spanish Succession.

YES @IA I did take this bit about The Great Storm of 1703 from wikipedia, but it's the fact, not the delivery of the fact that is important. Lifers can then do their own research if they feel the need
  • I lost a fence panel overnight. No mention of it on BBC news though!

similar. Fence post ripped out during the recent winds and as its base appears to be cemented to the patio, looks like its going to be a not straight-forward job to sort out :-(

Looked out the front this morning and found the contents of my plastics bin across the road and about 5 gardens, despite putting a brick on the lid last night. Found the bin in the next road.

• ....with a spanner looking "for something to eat. ...." ?
  • shine166 said:

It's called wind, why do we have to clone everything from the states ?

Agreed. This wind nearly knocked me off the sidewalk earlier and I nearly got hit by an SUV. I had just been for some fries and a shake and was on my way home to fix my leaking faucet after I had been to the store to get some diapers and a new pacifier for my baby.

I guess I should be more careful and not talk so much on my cell phone.
    You want to be careful... You can get incarcerated and put in jail for that sort of thing
  • I lost a fence panel overnight. No mention of it on BBC news though!

similar. Fence post ripped out during the recent winds and as its base appears to be cemented to the patio, looks like its going to be a not straight-forward job to sort out :-(

Looked out the front this morning and found the contents of my plastics bin across the road and about 5 gardens, despite putting a brick on the lid last night. Found the bin in the next road.

That wasn't the wind but the feckless Bexley council bin men.
  • cabbles said:

YES @IA I did take this bit about The Great Storm of 1703 from wikipedia, but it's the fact, not the delivery of the fact that is important. Lifers can then do their own research if they feel the need

Your facts are improving. This is a fact about storms on a thread about storms,

The low point was when you took a thread about Arsene Wenger and the customer/fan debate in football and produced a fact about the Babylonian numeral system.

I think @cafcfan stole your thunder on the Fat Lady thread so I'm waiting for his fact for today
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

cabbles said:

Your facts are improving. This is a fact about storms on a thread about storms,

The low point was when you took a thread about Arsene Wenger and the customer/fan debate in football and produced a fact about the Babylonian numeral system.

I think @cafcfan stole your thunder on the Fat Lady thread so I'm waiting for his fact for today
    someone stealing my thunder?????? i'm only 5 days into this and already it's being copied
  • QE2 bridge shut, wouldn't fancy going to Lakeside tonight.
  • nice that you lot down south got it for a change :wink:
  • SE England must be at a standstill. Taken me 2 hours to get from Gravesend to Bluewater on way home to Bexley
  • Curb- it check the pics I took this afternoon at the bottom of the cliffs( on FB)---- there was a few fecking hells as I took em.
  • QE2 bridge shut, wouldn't fancy going to Lakeside ever.

Fixed it for ya! :wink:
    That's a given, I was too polite to say it.
  • The great Lisbon earthquake of 1755 was a bit of a bugger, too.

Not only did it destroy much of the city and its palaces and churches, a raging inferno broke out.
    Then to cap it all, a tsunami swept away the rest - causing severe coastal damage as far away as Cornwall.

• Oggy Red said:

The great Lisbon earthquake of 1755 was a bit of a bugger, too.

Not only did it destroy much of the city and its palaces and churches, a raging inferno broke out.
    Then to cap it all, a tsunami swept away the rest - causing severe coastal damage as far away as Cornwall.

That's nothing compared to bamboo falling in the pond
  • Waves of 63 feet high off Cornwall coast; who measures them and how?