Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Every cloud has a silver lining

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
The bet I had on us before Christmas to get relegated came in.
(£25 at 4/5 with Extrabet, but as it was a new account they matched my winnings.)

*grabs coat and makes for the exit whilst saying, in best David Brent voice, "winning a bet is generally considered to be good news"!*

Comments

• Options
    Quality off it, that Brent quote is genius.
  • Options
    Fugging ell!

Just checked my Extrabet account and the "matched winnings" ain't there. I've emailed them and this was their response:

"Thank you for your e-mail. However I am afraid that the previous £25 matched bet promotion expired on 31st December 2006. Though you opened your bet when the promotion was running, I am afraid that as per the terms and conditions of the promotion, this only applied to bets placed AND SETTLED before 31/12/06.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused."

To which I replied:

"I guess that's the thing about "too good to be true" offers - they are normally just that, offers designed simply to lure people in with a headline promise. When it comes to actually getting the advertised benefit there's always the "small print" to contend with.

May I strongly recommend that, in future, conditions such as this are more prominently featured so that people in my position don't feel quite so cheated. Just a suggestion of course.

In the meantime, it was nice taking £20 off you!"

I'm not surprised of course, you get nowt for nowt and it serves me right for betting against my team. A lesson for us all!
  • Options
    UPDATE - in case anyone's interested. Just got this email from Extrabet;

"Thank you for your email. I understand your frustration at this and therefore having spoken to our sports department they have decided to credit your account with the free bet bonus of £20."

You see, sometimes it's worth making a fuss and fighting your corner. I'm off to the pub with my "free bonus" now!
  • Options
    toasting our relegation?
  • Options
    you should stick that score on us to go up. It'll be a real party!
  • Options
    Think I might.

Anyone know where I can get odds on t'net at this early stage?
  • Options
    and stick the other score up your arse for betting against us. Joke!
  • Options
    Grrrrrrrrr!!!

My boiler packed up today (the water heating kind - not the missus) so I've a fair idea where the rest will be going!
  • Options
    It's karma, Off_it. You made the mistake of betting against us, and now you're having to spend your winnings on something boring and practical, rather than beer.
  • Options
    On April 30th I put £800 down on Charlton to be relegated and then come back up - it's a risk free bet which will pay double if it comes off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: seriously_red[/cite]On April 30th I put £800 down on Charlton to be relegated and then come back up - it's a risk free bet which will pay double if it comes off

I might be missing something here, but how is that "risk free"? Surely the risk is that we don't come back up and you lose £800?
  • Options
    i'm presuming he's referring to season tickets
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i'm presuming he's referring to season tickets

That doesn't make sense. If Charlton don't get promoted next season then there's no free season ticket and he's £800 down. That's not risk free - that's a double whammy!

You could say that betting the price of your season ticket on us NOT going up was risk free as you either take your winnings when we don't or get your free season ticket when we do.

Seriously_red - I hope you've typed it the wrong way round and not spent your £800 that way thinking it's actually risk free!
  • Options
    Surely the point is that he would have paid for the ST anyway even without the offer. Thus, by spending £800 now he is in with a shout of a free ST 2008/09. If we don't come straight back he's lost nothing other than what would have been spent anyway and WHEN WE DO he will have saved the cost.

It's a no lose situation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]Surely the point is that he would have paid for the ST anyway even without the offer. Thus, by spending £800 now he is in with a shout of a free ST 2008/09. If we don't come straight back he's lost nothing other than what would have been spent anyway andWHEN WE DOhe will have saved the cost.

did ya manage to locate arf on monday dude ??

nice to catch up briefly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]Surely the point is that he would have paid for the ST anyway even without the offer. Thus, by spending £800 now he is in with a shout of a free ST 2008/09. If we don't come straight back he's lost nothing other than what would have been spent anyway andWHEN WE DOhe will have saved the cost.

Maybe I misread it - if he's simply talking about buying his season ticket then I get it.

If you mean you've placed that bet at the bookies then it's far from risk free as you'll lose your stake AND have to pay for a season ticket if we don't win promotion next year.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm with you PITL - I reckon the fella's "risk free" bet is as risky as ............ well, something very risky.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Phew! Am glad someone agrees - was starting to question myself (which is particularly worrying as I'm an analyst and make these kinds of decisions on a much larger scale every day!).

The best you can do risk free is to close your position out now and guarantee yourself a cheap season ticket for 08/09 by betting against Charlton getting promoted.

That way if we go up you lose your stake and get a free season ticket and if we don't then you use your winnings plus your stake to fund your season ticket.

I'd want fairly long odds before I took that on though as you're restricting your upside too, either way you'd have to pay something - depends how risk averse you are...(or how much you believe in the Addicks ability to get promoted!).
  • Options
    You're an analyst are you PITL?

Blimey, I bet the time just flies by when you're around!
    ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]You're an analyst are you PITL?

;o)

was going to ask what an anylist is??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]You're an analyst are you PITL?

;o)

Cheeky barsteward.

I'll have you know analysts are a lot of fun - they're like sexed up accountants!

Yep, 'tis incredibly dull a lot of the time but it pays the mortgage.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I basically just piss around with numbers and excel and advise the board on investment decisions.
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited May 2007
    blimey, still none the wiser, but i am a dis-numerate!
  • Options
    Yes, it's season tickets including an extra one for £99 on a spare seat next to us which we can use to invite friends of our son next year and the year after. Didn't back Defoe the other night to score the last goal on priciple as often win at 8s . Backed Berbatov for the first goal and a 3-2 Charlton win instead