Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Julian Assange: "Hero or Helmet?"

Comments

• Options

NLA so no real thought on him then .

He means nothing to me lol
  • Options
    Helmet
  • Options
    Total helmet.

Couldn't quite understand why the swedes couldn't have come and interviewed him in London. International law on this not a strong point.

• Options
    The answer would be so much easier if only he was Belgian.
    And owned a SE London football club.
  • Options
    A helmet and one we have spent 10m on protecting. Why did we even bother?
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

For those of you calling him a helmet, if you believed that policitally motivated charges had been invented with the intention of getting you shipped off to the US, would you abide by your bail conditions? I suspect not. The acid test is whether those rape allegations are genuine or not. I suspect we may never know.

His lawyer has pretty much confessed on his behalf though.

Quote 1, courtesy of his lawyer:
    Emmerson said earlier that he was not challenging the fact that they "found Mr Assange's sexual behaviour in these encounters disreputable, discourteous, disturbing or even pushing towards the boundaries of what they were comfortable with". But the sexual activities that occurred had taken place with consent, he argued, and, unlike in Sweden, could not be criminalised in the English jurisdiction.
    If it were false and entirely politically motivated then getting your lawyer to claim "Yeah, it could be illegal in Sweden but it isn't here!" is probably a bit of a dumb move..

Not nearly as dumb as openly admitting that the incident did occur though. In fact, it would also be considered rape in this country.

Quote 2, courtesy of his lawyer:
    They fell asleep and she woke up by his penetrating her. She immediately asked if he was wearing anything. He answered: "You." She said: "You better not have HIV." He said: "Of course not." She may have been upset, but she clearly consented to its [the sexual encounter's] continuation and that is a central consideration.
    So, the facts as per his own lawyer:

-> She expressed a desire not to have sexual intercourse without protection;
    -> Assange had sexual intercourse with her, using protection;
    -> Later on, she was woken up to Assange having sex with her again - but without protection, explicitly against the wishes that she expressed earlier on.

The lawyer's defence actually seems to revolve around the suggestion that he gained implied permission from her, during the act, and she was only capable of giving that implied consent because he had accidentally woken her up.

Considering this version of events is actually part of his defence, but still relies on him violating her permission - I would consider it pretty clear that he is guilty.

Here's the source for the quotes: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/jul/12/julian-assange-extradition-live-coverage

Interesting. ProbBly a helmet.
  • Options
    See celebrity campaigner Peter Tatchell makes an appearance outside the embassy. Maybe he'll be outside the West Stand after one game?

• Options
    cock total cock ...and should f&&ked off out the country
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolute cock, come out and face the charges
  • Options
    So fucking a girl while she is asleep or under the influence isn't rape?

Mr Bill Crosby, do you have comments?
  • Options
    Oily piece of shit, heard his balcony speech live on LBC yesterday, fuming, self indulgent, arrogant wanker who put peoples lives at risk.
    Kept going on about no charges being brought against him, well guess what knobhead, there will be if you weren't hiding in the embassy you coward, hoping for the statutes to run out (which it has on 2 charges)
  • Options
    It's all about him isn't it .....helmet
  • Options

For those of you calling him a helmet, if you believed that policitally motivated charges had been invented with the intention of getting you shipped off to the US, would you abide by your bail conditions? I suspect not. The acid test is whether those rape allegations are genuine or not. I suspect we may never know.

If he faces up to the allegations, we will.
  • Options
    msomerton said:

he shouold go back to sewden to answer the charges against him. Instead he abuses the asylum system to escape the law.

stopped reading the thread after this as it is the correct answer.

• Options
    Perhaps he's both a hero and a helmet? There are plenty of examples throughout history.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Perhaps he's both a hero and a helmet? There are plenty of examples throughout history.

Richard Murray?
    Fucking spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is a
  • Options
    Helm of the highest order.
  • Options
    History will remember him as a hero.

But as a person, he's a helmet
  • Options
    Pamela Anderson bought him a Vegan Lunch today, and now the rumours are that he's dead...

The rumours seem to come from a series of tweets like this one:

Essentially "deadman's codes"; whereby as an insurance policy these codes would verify the integrity (and/or unlock) the contents of a final set of files - i.e an insurance policy to protect him from damage, so should anyone bump him off then their dirty laundry gets a good airing.

I'm not sure if there's any more substance to the rumours, and personally I doubt it - as his attention seeking seems to be growing exponentially recently.
  • Options
    Clearly the moral of the story is not to trust vegans. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Oh wow.

Alternatively, it looks like he's making a threat specifically to the UK, Ecuador and US. I didn't realise that John Kerry was the US Secretary of State. Nor did I realise that he met Boris Johnson today, who is of course in charge of the FCO..

Suddenly his particular set of leaks to threaten to release look a lot more interesting!

This may hint that diplomatic strains between the UK and Ecuador are being felt, most likely via US pressure as a result of the leaked emails, and Wikileaks role in enabling Russian intervention in to their elections.

I dare say the UK would love to wash its hands of him, and the UK/US combined would be able to apply a lot of pressure on Ecuador to evict him from its embassy.

I believe Assange has hinted before that he would commit suicide rather than leave the embassy without any safety, so perhaps this is part of his endgame. A very literal threat to all three parties involved.

A peculiar move however, as he either needs to release the files personally - and there's an obvious way of dealing with that requirement - or he's trusting his safety with other individuals, which implies these files can already be accessed by specific people.

Edit: Oh dear god, never tweet with the hashtag "Assange": TRUMP SUPPORTERS EVERYWHERE. They're liking my comments because I don't think he's dead: how fucking stupid are these people? The irony of Trump supporters overlooking just about everything that their new messiah stands for, simply on the basis of the convenience of what he's leaking? How the fuck do these people manage to converge their Right wing views with support of Assange FFS?

One of them seems to think I should go protest outside the embassy... Bitch please, I'm buying this motherfucker a luggage set.
  • Options
    You what?
  • Options
    Biden Hints at U.S. Response to Russia for Cyberattacks http://nyti.ms/2e6Qfz6
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

One of them seems to think I should go protest outside the embassy... Bitch please, I'm buying this motherfucker a luggage set.

Are you feeling ok LR?

Only you're scaring the kids....