Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Arsene Wenger says 'customers' and 'company'

Watching Sky sports news and he has just referred to Arsenal as a company and the fans that are not happy about ticket prices as customers. He Justified it by saying that as the fans demand expensive players, as customers they have to pay an excess to enjoy this.

Sky sports said there is a planned walk out on the 78th minute as that's the price of the most expensive ticket as well as Liverpool.

Obviously our protests are for a different reason, but if they were to protest, would this take the media focus away from Charlton or would it help our cause?

Comments

• it wouldn't help. as soon as the big clubs start moaning about whatever they have to moan about then that's it, the lower leagues/smaller clubs don't get a mention.
  • Didn't it help though that German Football almost went bust a few years back (around 2000 when Germany finished bottom of our Group in the Euros), that effectively got them to buck their ideas up and change.

At the moment the Premier League is living off its own hype that its the best League in the world, i.e. whenever the ticket prices or anything is argued with its because: We've got to remain competitive and the best in the world apparently thats why our clubs are better than Bayern Munich and Barcelona yet when you look at the spending of Premier League clubs compared to the rest of Europe (i.e. even Norwich are spending more than most) you have to question it.

I've got no issues with the Customer tag either when its used in the right way...
  • Fans do demand the best players but we don't demand them at all costs and mega money.

Lame excuse Wenger.
  • You need to examine where the money goes in football clubs. If wages and transfer fees are comparable across different leagues in Europe, where else is the money going? How much rent, tax, insurance does each club pay? How much talent do they home-grow? How much money is siphoned off by greedy owners and investors? I suspect the fan-ownership model in Germany and the eccentric oligarch model we have in England may play a big part in the last question.
  • To be fair, Arsenal fans have been customers ever since the franchise moved North in 1913. :wink:
  • SDAddick said:

So how do Barcelona and Bayern Munich afford the best players in the world then Arsene?

This excuse is just tiresome now... As the Bayern owner said; If we raise ticket prices whats the points, whats a further £2m to us.

Germany has a distinctly different perspective to supporters than really any other major league in Europe. Trains are usually coordinated with the match schedule, and the match days and kick-off times are coordinated with traveling away support in mind. Affordable ticket prices are a given (I want to say in the 10 Euro range per match for a season ticket in the top flight).

There is a close relationship between this attitude and the fact that all clubs, bar Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen must be 51% owned by supporters or the community in some way. Bayer and Wolfsburg are the exceptions as Bayer and Volkswagen essentially founded those two clubs.

Shockingly, German clubs do not (and are not allowed to carry) the levels of debt that clubs in the other major European leagues are. There is also a massive effort (driven in part by the German FA) to focus on academies and growing young players.

I'm not as bothered by the term "customer" as many on here, but I think that is largely due to the fact that I was not raised on English football or with the strong local and cultural ties to the club that many were. I am massively bothered by how punters (whatever you call them) are treated and looked after (or lack thereof) by the Premier League, Football League, and FA. Clubs, now more than ever, are business, even if many are run on unviable business plans. It's the job of the regulators to keep them in check.
    That sounds very civilised, @SDAddick.
  • It is the context in which you use the word customer which is important.
  • We're lacking on threads today which does have a massive impact on my abstract fact of the day, a new series devised and delivered by me, cabbles. I basically take other lifers' threads and try and put in a fact about those posts that are unrelated to the original thread.

Today I picked up on the word minute. A minute is 60 seconds. 60 as a number is very important in Babylonian numerals

The Babylonians, who were famous for their astronomical observations and calculations (aided by their invention of the abacus), used a sexagesimal (base-60) positional numeral system inherited from either the Sumerian or the Eblaite civilizations.[1] Neither of the predecessors was a positional system (having a convention for which ‘end’ of the numeral represented the units).

This system first appeared around 2000 BC;[1] its structure reflects the decimal lexical numerals of Semitic languages rather than Sumerian lexical numbers.[2] However, the use of a special Sumerian sign for 60 (beside two Semitic signs for the same number)[1] attests to a relation with the Sumerian system.[2]

If you want to find out more just google Babylonian numerals, they had a symbol for this use of 60 as a zero, I don't really understand it to elaborate on it.

I'm also very keen to point out that this could become a regular feature on CL and a very popular one (my fact of the day that is), however, two lifers @Henry Irving and @IA are already ridiculing me and may ruin it for the rest of you.

• Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself or that one is being ridiculed when actually you're just having your leg pulled

• IAIA
    edited February 2016
    cabbles said:

When copying and pasting from Wikipedia [1] it's recommended that you include the numbers for citation notes

• IA said:

cabbles said:

When copying and pasting from Wikipedia [1] it's recommended that you include the numbers for citation notes

You don't actually think I know or have this info stored. I knew that 60 was a number that was relevant to zero in ancient Babylonia but I let Wikipedia do the rest.

The depth and how I explain the fact isn't relevant, it's the fact that I'm giving the forum a fact in the first place. And you and Henry are ruining it with your immaturity.

:wink:
  • The word customer should never be used regarding Football fans for simple reason that if we were just customers we'd all be queuing to get a ticket at Man City every week.
  • It's a French/ Belgium conspiracy I tell you.
  • Vincenzo said:

To be fair, Arsenal fans have been customers ever since the franchise moved North in 1913. :wink:

And if they hadn't of moved CAFC probably wouldn't exist now and we'd all be Woolwich Arsenal goons!!:

'Woolwich Arsenal's move to North London in 1913 gave Charlton an opportunity to develop, and they became a senior side and progressed through the Lewisham League'.
  • It is the context in which you use the word customer which is important.

As in Katriens infamous statement 'Charlton supporters don't like to see themselves as customers' on the web summit, which strangely set this whole thing off.

• At the moment the Premier League is living off its own hype that its the best League in the world, i.e. whenever the ticket prices or anything is argued with its because: We've got to remain competitive and the best in the world apparently thats why our clubs are better than Bayern Munich and Barcelona yet when you look at the spending of Premier League clubs compared to the rest of Europe (i.e. even Norwich are spending more than most) you have to question it.

This is why I'm rooting for Leicester City to win their next two games starting tomorrow!
  • One advantage many European clubs have are playing in stadiums financed by the local City or local big business (like Mercedes in Stuttgart), whereas Arsenal have had to pay for their new stadium entirely by themselves, and in a very expensive city to build in.

That new (and flawed) new stand at Anfield is costing them a fortune.