Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Perceptions, Palace and things I don't really understand ....

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
As previously indicated I've been looking forward to Operation Relegation for a few months. As Palace aren't coming up, it would be fun to go down and pick up a nice little 6 points. Anyway I digress.

As indicated elsewhere, Palace aren't really bovvered about Charlton, or Clowntown!!!! or Pikeys as they call us. Now this is where I don't actually get it. The Charlton crowd is made up of 60-70% middle class, middle england supporters. All with disposable money, a general uncomplicated fashion sense, and roots in SE London.Charlton is part of the London Borough of Greenwich, quite a celubrious Borough, the meridian time line, in fact the centre of the world. Palace have Croydon, Norwood, Penge!!!!! There is no fashion to talk about in Surrey, although you could argue that with the impovements in transport infrastructure they can actually commute to Central London, and make a decent wage. So where does this Pikey name calling come from? Clowntown, doesnt even look like Charlton!!!! I don't understand it really, jealousy? The uneducated leading the uneducated? The blind leading the insipid?

Anyway, here's to Operation Relegation and make sure you wear your finest as Sellout Park next season.

Comments

• Options
    You missed out the "trainspotting" bit. They certainly do have a very confused view of the average Charlton fan. A pikey chav middle class family-man trainspotter seems to sum it up.

On the other hand we know what their average fan is like. He's called Nigel, he lives with his mum (who he loves, dearly), he's got a very junior job in the branch of a high street bank (filling up cash machines all day), he "gives it large" on his computer but if you met him he wouldn't say boo to a goose, ..... oh .... and he wears red and blue stripe jim jams to bed every night. Ah, bless!
  • Options
    Ha ha ha....Off it. Classic lifer's view. Legend.
  • Options
    Excellent posts from Riscardo and Off_It!!
  • Options
    lol, off it thats some speech, top notch!

Riscardo, lol dude
  • Options
    Shame Sun of Selhurst didn't reply. Is he the bloke off of Lost?
  • Options
    You are assuming that their support comes from Croydon or North of Croydon.

A lot of their support comes from South ie areas like Purley, Coulsdon, Caterham, Sanderstead, Selsdon, which are quite affluent. Maybe it is "those" supporters that think we are inner London pikies.
  • Options
    They can't make their mind up what we are, but if i come accross the alleged combination of family-loving, plastic, trainspotting, clownish, braindead thug, i'll buy him a drink.
  • Options
    Nigels!

What's that all about, it was a nickname kindly given to us from our bermondsey friends. I believe this was to highlight the fact that we are not like them, a fact that I am happy to accept.

But if people are really honest the demographic of Palace and Charlton's support is likely to be very similar, so it seems a bit odd that you good people from the Valley call us nigels? Your hardly Millwall are you??

Regards

your resident Stripey Nigel!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Why do you call us Clowntown then - you're hardly Millwall are you?