Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Song - Relegated with Charlton

2»

Comments

• Options
    I kind of like when players are honest about being solely focused on money. I don't really have a problem with it; we all think we'd be loyal football obsessives if we played, but if someone offered us more than £5m a year for 5 years and we knew it was a short career we'd probably take it. I remember when Oscar left Chelsea for Shanghai he openly admitted that he went there for the money because he cared more about his family than his career. They were paying him £400,00 a week for four years. That's £83.2m. How do you not take that? It's when players try and convince the fans that they went for the challenge knowing they'll sit on the bench that annoys me. Just be honest, I don't care!
    What’s the difference in standard of living between 150k and 400k ?  Oscar could have been exceptional - a wasted career in my view.  Stay at Chelsea, win a lot, move somewhere better, earn more, or move to China .  

If it’s a difference between 2k a week (still decent money to most of us) or 15k, that’s a different matter altogether. 
  • Options
    I kind of like when players are honest about being solely focused on money. I don't really have a problem with it; we all think we'd be loyal football obsessives if we played, but if someone offered us more than £5m a year for 5 years and we knew it was a short career we'd probably take it. I remember when Oscar left Chelsea for Shanghai he openly admitted that he went there for the money because he cared more about his family than his career. They were paying him £400,00 a week for four years. That's £83.2m. How do you not take that? It's when players try and convince the fans that they went for the challenge knowing they'll sit on the bench that annoys me. Just be honest, I don't care!
    I agree, it's a career and I have no issue with people playing for money. I woudn't go to work for free, nor would I reject the opportunity to move elsewhere for more money. 

Having said that, there are ways to go about it. In that article he said "During my entire time at Arsenal I couldn't even save £100,000, while people thought I must be a millionaire". Then said he didn't mind little playing time at Barca because "now he would be a millionaire". So for me he does come across as a prick. There's ways of saying it, not even saving 100k and the desperation to be a millionaire is just arrogance. He had no divine right to earn a shed load of money as he wasn't good enough. He was a decent player who had a couple of great seasons and then he was just ok. 

Got no issue with players saying I left for my family or an offer to good to turn down but I think he was a dickhead with those comments. Although I could quite easily be massively wrong as it's in the Sun. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    What’s the difference in standard of living between 150k and 400k ?  Oscar could have been exceptional - a wasted career in my view.  Stay at Chelsea, win a lot, move somewhere better, earn more, or move to China .  

If it’s a difference between 2k a week (still decent money to most of us) or 15k, that’s a different matter altogether. 
    its the difference between being wealthy for a time and generational wealth.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

It doesn't really matter what the difference in standard or living is, more money means your family is more insulated against struggle in the future. For four years' work he can create a situation where his family are potentially set for generations. Oscar was unwanted at Chelsea when he made his move. He'd taken a severe dip in form and they were looking to get rid of him. He only played 9 Premier League games that season, badly, and hadn't started since September. He had offers from other clubs in Europe but he chose the one with the most money. And why not? It's a job. He'll be retired by 35 at the latest and then his earning potential is dramatically reduced. I like to think I'd be more focused on being a good footballer rather than a well-paid one but then sometimes I'm trying to be good at my actual job and I spend an hour on Sporcle instead so ultimately I'd be wise to take the money when it's offered in case my next contract wasn't a big one. In the end a job is a job, you do it to make money so you can survive, and ideally survive happily. Oscar has completely achieved that beyond most people's wildest dreams so I don't think that can be considered a wasted career. He's won.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

its the difference between being wealthy for a time and generational wealth.
    150k per week for even three years would give you 10 million in the bank, even if you spent heavily on 50% tax .  He would have had it for more like 10.   I’d say that’s generational wealth.