Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Never to be broken record for swimming the English Channel by plucky SE Londoner.

I bet there are a few on here who remember Eltham Baths.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35341642

Comments

• Options
    What a great story.
  • Options
    Agreed, very interesting read. And I didn't know about the importance of taking three unaided steps after such an exertion.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed reading that. :-) used to swim quite regularly at Eltham baths.
  • Options
    Yes and I remember Johnny Bulett too, he was a divisive character to say the least. I swam for WT&SC (Woolwich Training and Swimming Club) from 1971-1980, we were a competitive club and shared the pool with Eltham SC who concentrated on long distance.
  • Options
    Incredible.
  • Options
    Wonder why this is being reported now by the BBC?
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that Seth, great story.
  • Options
    Spent about a year training under John before his nature pissed me off. You either loved him or hated him, no inbetween.

I ended up moving on to Greenwich Borough Mariners.
  • Options
    That's wicked. Tom's who you'd want on your side in Afghanistan (god forbid).

In 1926 the first female crosser does it in (?) 14 hours and in 1988 a 11 year old kid does it in 10 hours.

Did I read that wrong. ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrific story .. however, I reckon that nowadays, the treatment meted out to an 8 to11 year old: cold showers, sleeping with hardly any cover and with windows open, swimming long distances in the lake district, all of that would be construed as child cruelty ((:>)
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Terrific story .. however, I reckon that nowadays, the treatment meted out to an 8 to11 year old: cold showers, sleeping with hardly any cover and with windows open, swimming long distances in the lake district, all of that would be construed as child cruelty ((:>)

Let alone some old bloke rubbing grease on the kid.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

mind you, worse happens at some of England's greatest and most famous public schools .. allegedly ((:>)
  • Options
    Brilliant story.
  • Options

PL54 said:

mind you, worse happens at some of England's greatest and most famous public schools .. allegedly ((:>)
    Not Alleyn's School -College of God's Gift, I can assure you.
  • Options
    Superb... there's a film there!
  • Options
    Terrific story
  • Options
    Brilliant. The piece about the American who swam the Bering Strait between USA and USSR is also good.
  • Options
    Used to train at Eltham baths as a kid (late 60s). Probably a different bloke but our coach would have us treading water for a very long time in our wet pyjamas. If we were knackered and swam towards the side for a rest he had a long high window opening pole that he would aggresively prod us back to the middle of the pool with.

He'd probably be arrested today.
  • Options

Used to train at Eltham baths as a kid (late 60s). Probably a different bloke but our coach would have us treading water for a very long time in our wet pyjamas. If we were knackered and swam towards the side for a rest he had a long high window opening pole that he would aggresively prod us back to the middle of the pool with.

He'd probably be arrested today.

Sounds like JB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Wonder why this is being reported now by the BBC?

This
  • Options
    No one has done it younger, and no one ever will. In November 2000, the Channel Swimming Association banned under-16s from attempting the crossing.

Anyone know why this is?
  • Options

No one has done it younger, and no one ever will. In November 2000, the Channel Swimming Association banned under-16s from attempting the crossing.

Anyone know why this is?

probably so they don't miss school?

• Options

Anyone know why this is?

probably so they don't miss school?

Or drown
  • Options

Anyone know why this is?

They built the Chunnel since and don't want anybody crossing for free.

• Options

Anyone know why this is?

Because it sounds like it was cruel?
  • Options
    Is it true that 99.9% of attempts in 2015 were undertaken by Afghans or Somalis?