Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lets be Frank....

Its a bad idea for him to return to the ring, really sad story with his bi polar. I'd still lump on him though if he fought Audley Harrison

Comments

• Options
    I doubt he would get a license.
  • Options
    This simply cannot be allowed to happen
  • Options

I doubt he would get a license.

I hope not to be honest
  • Options
    A big no on this one, leave us with the good memories.
  • Options
    He won't get one over here......but some loony board might give him one.

Will be s travesty if it happens.
  • Options
    One of the most loved British sportsmen and one of the saddest cases of a past hero hitting hard times. Through respect to him I can't imagine a current fighter being comfortable stepping in the ring with Frank. It wouldn't be right.
  • Options
    Are we talking about Frank Bruno returning to the ring?
    Surely not
  • Options
    Try watching the moment the decision was announced when he beat McCall and not get a lump in your throat.

Will never forget ".....and NEW heavyweight champion of the world" and Ian Darke almost breaking down. My living room roof almost came off at that moment.
  • Options
    With his mental health history, I very much doubt he'd get a licence.
  • Options

Try watching the moment the decision was announced when he beat McCall and not get a lump in your throat.

Will never forget ".....and NEW heavyweight champion of the world" and Ian Darke almost breaking down. My living room roof almost came off at that moment.

One of my all time best sporting moments
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Won't get a licence from the BBoC.

Could do what Roy Jones did and go to Russia.
  • Options

Are we talking about Frank Bruno returning to the ring?
    Surely not

Afraid so....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35461651
  • Options
    Can't be allowed to happen surely.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Think it's a bad idea for a number of reasons, however experiencing BPAD should not be an issue - it's actually illegal to discriminate against someone because of a Mental Health problem ( quite rightly ) It entirely depends on his mental state at the time of applying and fighting.

Loads of people live with BPAD and have active and fulfilling lives - The "Sad" " Tragic" perception is just a reflection of the absolutely disgraceful and highly inaccurate reporting of Frank's illness and represents the very worst of the stigma people with MH problems experience.

Soapbox now put away!
  • Options
    @IAgree well said.
  • Options
    Frank needs saving from himself if this is a serious thought ,he is not well again the thing with Schofield demonstrated this , he should be denied a licence , a venue and promoter
  • Options
    I heard he was training in Hatton's gym.
  • Options

I heard he was training in Hatton's gym.

Looks in great shape physically, can't see a return to fighting is the best move to make mentally.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    IAgree said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Think it's a bad idea for a number of reasons, however experiencing BPAD should not be an issue - it's actually illegal to discriminate against someone because of a Mental Health problem ( quite rightly ) It entirely depends on his mental state at the time of applying and fighting.

Loads of people live with BPAD and have active and fulfilling lives - The "Sad" " Tragic" perception is just a reflection of the absolutely disgraceful and highly inaccurate reporting of Frank's illness and represents the very worst of the stigma people with MH problems experience.

Soapbox now put away!
    I think you're preaching to the choir with that post! JohnBoy has posted numerous times (even today) about his own first hand experience with a family member that has Bipolar, so I don't think there was any negativity attached to it. :)

For what it's worth, I've had to declare the same illness - for sports as "safe" (in comparison) as SCUBA diving! I think there's a large component of risk with regards to medication, if Frank is medicated. Otherwise the BBoC would need probably need to ensure he's in a good place now with valid reasons, because if he got injured it could lead them open to potential litigation if it turned out he wasn't in the right frame of mind to enter any competitions.

I agree wholeheartedly with your view on discrimination though - and it's a brilliant view to hear! It's those kind of perceptions that prevent people talking more freely. Unfortunately, in this case, there may well be valid concerns though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IAgree said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Soapbox now put away!
    As long as his judgement is sound. I think that is the question. People with MH issues often do not have good judgement when it comes to health issues. Boxing is a brutal sport.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:
    And rightly so
  • Options
    Rob said:

IAgree said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Soapbox now put away!
    As long as his judgement is sound. I think that is the question. People with MH issues often do not have good judgement when it comes to health issues. Boxing is a brutal sport.
    Don't agree at all that people with mental health issues don't have good judgment re health. Most serious MH problems are episodic and period where judgment is affected are not continuous by any means.

Lots of the public make bad calls re health and life should they be stopped from deciding what they do?

Personally I am not a huge boxing fan at all and find it difficult to argue for someone's right to be beaten around the head and body. There is a big list of compelling reasons Frank Bruno should not start boxing again however everyone has immediately focussed in on his Mental Health which actually should not proclude him.

If his mental state is stable and he has capacity when he applies for the licence and when he fights, what is the rationale that says having BPAD should stop him from boxing?

I would have thought age, lack of recent bouts, and the age and fitness of his opponents would have all been compelling reasons not to fight and yet, apart from a mention about his current high fitness level, none of these have been considered in this thread - Just his mental health.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:
    Perhaps the Board are quite cunning and not spelling licence properly on an application is an immediate fail?
  • Options
    Seems like Frank became a lost soul once his boxing career was over, not sure if he was a Bipolar sufferer whilst he was boxing or not my ignorance on this subject staggers me really. It is a very sad story, one of my colleagues brother was a severe sufferer, sadly taking his own life and he indeed suffered quite a bit of under hand discrimination in the work place most of his life.

It would appear that Frank is going back to the place where he was most comfortable i.e. the boxing ring and if he can get something positive from training etc. great but I am relieved to see that he won't be given a licence.
  • Options
    One of the finest sporting moments as a huge fan of boxing seeing someone's life long ambition and dream cone true is a wonderful privilege to Watch, boxers more than any other sportsman fail to acknowledge and accept when their time is up, and boxing like no other sport places them at real risk of harm should that decision not be made at the correct time, Frank is an icon a truly great British sporting hero who has so much experience knowledge and craft to show to the young guns coming through, he is with Ricky another legend of the British fighters guild but Ricky also had Demons and didn't make the right coherent choice this resulted in Ricky having atleast two fights he didn't need to have, fortunately Ricky has his life around through mentoring and Coaching but nothing will replace the feeling of being in the ring man on man for a real meaningful fight, somehow frank needs to accept and find comfort in who he is now, and I am very glad the decision to not grant him a licence has been made, it's not about mental illness it's about saving his future physical well being,

I don't even want to see the Benn vs eubank fight that's been mooted for the self same reasons and neither of those from my understanding are suffering from any mental health issues