Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rail Travel To Charlton Saturday 6 February

Negligible train service to Charlton on Saturday. No trains east of Plumstead - the dread Rail Replacement (dis)Service in and out for Kentish Addicks. No services to Charlton from Charing Cross, only from Cannon Street/London Bridge. Central London transferees again get to play ticket barrier lottery with the rail tickets that are "accepted by LU on all reasonable routes". Nearly 2 years into this LB Station upgrade project and there's not been any evidence yet that LU barriers have been appropriately programmed nor many LU staff adequately briefed. Best leave a bit more time for your journeys fellow avids and pack your calm pills for the additional interchanges and edifying intercourse with station staff.

Comments

• every home game
  • Looks like a walk from Waterloo to London Bridge again. Far more pleasant than queueing up to convince ticket man that 2 stops on the Jubilee is a reasonable route...
  • Will be the same for the Cardiff and Reading games as well.
  • yeah its becoming a real fucking headache was the same for Blackburn instead of a 25 min journey its 1 hour and 20 minutes.

• edited February 2016
    Simplest way around is to go to Blackheath and jump on a 54 or 380, if you can.

These closures are more to do with Crossrail at Abbey Wood than the London Bridge stuff. Southeastern can't be arsed to communicate any of this properly, though.

The London Bridge stuff kicks in again for the Middlesborough match, when Charing Cross and Cannon Street will be closed again.

A list of what's happening as it affects Charlton station users: http://charltonchampion.co.uk/charlton-station-engineering-works-is-my-train-running/

EDIT: Just looked ahead, and looks like every Saturday until the end of April is messed up for either London Bridge or Abbey Wood works.

• Simplest way around is to go to Blackheath and jump on a 54 or 380, if you can.

These closures are more to do with Crossrail at Abbey Wood than the London Bridge stuff. Southeastern can't be arsed to communicate any of this properly, though.

The London Bridge stuff kicks in again for the Middlesborough match, when Charing Cross and Cannon Street will be closed again.

A list of what's happening as it affects Charlton station users: http://charltonchampion.co.uk/2016/01/18/weekend-trains-from-charlton-disrupted-through-to-easter-get-full-details/

very helpful cheers.
  • Bum - will have to break my spending at Charlton boycott and get the Valley Express!
  • edited February 2016
    Took me 1hr 10 by public transport to get from Sidcup to Charlton last game, 6 miles
  • Sponsored links:

• Leaving aside the shambles on and off the pitch and other issues, the train situation this season has been pretty awful and must be affecting the gates. From Cannon St/London Bridge there are trains, but with uneven intervals
  • Leaving aside the shambles on and off the pitch and other issues, the train situation this season has been pretty awful and must be affecting the gates. From Cannon St/London Bridge there are trains, but with uneven intervals

A lot of this is a Southeastern publicity/communication shambles - if I travel from Charlton at weekends, often the trains only run to New Cross, yet there's no attempt to remind people that something different is happening. I tweeted Southeastern after seeing people pile on through closing doors at Lewisham for a train that'd only dump them a mile up the road, and their only response was that they should be reading those tiny engineering works posters. Pathetic.

As for CAFC - well, with work going on in the Medways too, there's a good opportunity for a reasonably-priced motor coach service to ensure people can make it to the match in comfort. They could call it Valiants Express.

• edited February 2016
    The club hasn't exactly been super informative either, when it comes to alternatives, bus connections to N Greenwich etc. I know how to get to the ground, first time visitors might not
  • Took me 1hr 10 by public transport to get from Sidcup to Charlton last game, 6 miles

What about getting the 286 bus from Sidcup and jumping off on Shooters Hill road?

• CatAddick said:

Looks like a walk from Waterloo to London Bridge again. Far more pleasant than queueing up to convince ticket man that 2 stops on the Jubilee is a reasonable route...

Quite a few nice pubs en route, just saying...
  • edited February 2016
    So trains from London Bridge to Charlton are not affected?
  • So trains from London Bridge to Charlton are not affected?

Only in that there are four trains each hour rather than six.

A lot of this is a Southeastern publicity/communication shambles -
    Charlton are allegedly tendering to provide them with consultation services.

A lot of this is a Southeastern publicity/communication shambles -
    Charlton are allegedly tendering to provide them with consultation services.
    To be know as................. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

A lot of this is a Southeastern publicity/communication shambles - if I travel from Charlton at weekends, often the trains only run to New Cross, yet there's no attempt to remind people that something different is happening. I tweeted Southeastern after seeing people pile on through closing doors at Lewisham for a train that'd only dump them a mile up the road, and their only response was that they should be reading those tiny engineering works posters. Pathetic.

As for CAFC - well, with work going on in the Medways too, there's a good opportunity for a reasonably-priced motor coach service to ensure people can make it to the match in comfort. They could call it Valiants Express.

Spoken like a true Charlton fan (:

*not implying that you like trains.......well......
  • Took me 1hr 10 by public transport to get from Sidcup to Charlton last game, 6 miles

I Travelled down to Lewes yesterday from Woolwich Arsenal and it took me 3hrs 25 mins.
  • It took me 65 minutes house to keyboard this morning. Belgians......
  • The London Bridge and Abbey Wood projects running at the same time might be something s**th**stern can't do much about but it doesn't justify the paucity of services nor the absence of information for would be passengers. Yet more "fuck you, you're lumbered with us and we're gonna rub your noses cheerfully in the brown stuff while we trouser your hard earned, suckers". The skeleton service is transparently about SE smugly maximising profits every time they think they can blame railtrack or passengers or cold weather in winter cos we punters' choices are limited - especially when the cunts don't tell us what the fuck is going on.
  • KM and RM must love this. Trains buggered, no parking on nearby streets ... should be a quiet day for them. But they will be able to report back to Roland that a weekend win, a stunning KM performance at the Fans Forum, and Riga's walking on water have quelled unrest. On the minus side, further buggers up their 20K target.
  • So trains from London Bridge to Charlton are not affected?

Only in that there are four trains each hour rather than six.
    And not evenly spread, so that the gaps alternate between 10 minutes and 20 minutes!
  • CatAddick said:

Looks like a walk from Waterloo to London Bridge again. Far more pleasant than queueing up to convince ticket man that 2 stops on the Jubilee is a reasonable route...

Get the Jubilee to North Greenwich and walk (weather permitting). They surely can't argue getting to the nearest station isn't reasonable.
  • Q
    161 from Eltham gets you to ground. More frequent than 54 & 380 and less of a walk.
  • Curb_It said:

Took me 1hr 10 by public transport to get from Sidcup to Charlton last game, 6 miles

What about getting the 286 bus from Sidcup and jumping off on Shooters Hill road?

Or get off at the bottom in Woolwich Road by the roundabout and walk along past the Rose of Denmark, that's how I do it from New Eltham.

• Or go to North Greenwich, walk to the Pilot, have a pint with the away fans and then get a taxi to the ground.