Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Igor Vetokele

Comments

• Options
    It looks like a massive congratulations to Igor & his partner/wife.
  • Options

It looks like a massive congratulations to Igor & his partner/wife.

Or that he got a far post tap in for the U23's!
  • Options

William Gregory Vetokele has got a ring to it...😉

• Options

William Gregory Vetokele has got a ring to it...😉

It sounds like a bath falling down the stairs.
  • Options

Oh south London...

Is wonderful. It's for the 👆

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've given him lots of stick on here. It's good to see him back in scoring form, but it'll take more than one last gasp goal for him to convince me that his heart is really in playing for CAFC
  • Options
    One thing I'm liking with Bowyer is that he's bloody good at getting a reaction from players when he makes comments about them

Hopefully its not something that'll hinder him if he wants to progress up the Leagues as cant see it working with the higher profile names
  • Options
    clive said:

Bowyer on why he left Vetokele out of the starting eleven on Saturday

“Since I’ve been in charge I have always played two strikers. Josh was ill and it was a chance for Igor, but he hasn’t looked sharp in training. I can’t pick people who don’t look good, that’s just the way football is. I can’t just say: ‘Go and play’.

“Obviously a little while ago I had no strikers available – I had no choice. But now Lyle is back and I’m looking for someone to play up top with him.

“To be fair to Igor, those comments were after training on Thursday morning and he was a lot better on Friday. He came on and scored on Saturday, so I got the right reaction from him – which is important.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/igor-vetokele-urged-to-sharpen-up-game-and-take-chance-to-make-big-impact-on-charlton-athletics-league-one-run-in/
    This is why when any Manager is slated for not playing a certain player or formation UNLESS you are at the training ground you don't now the levels of fitness and application being shown.
    Fixed it for you
  • Options
    I've given him lots of stick on here. It's good to see him back in scoring form, but it'll take more than one last gasp goal for him to convince me that his heart is really in playing for CAFC
    I actually believe he enjoys playing for us and living in London. He hasn't been fit enough or good enough, but I think we are starting to see him putting the work in, and hopefully we will see the rewards. 
  • Options
    He covered a lot of the pitch yesterday and was shielding the ball well. Playing alongside RHF didn't help him.
  • Options
    Some great players were historically dreadful trainers.
  • Options
    Some great players were historically dreadful trainers.
    Very true. But they had to produce the goods on the pitch - or they were dropped.

• Options
    Igor has to start Saturday, so long as he is uninjured, as distinct from "fit".  We've got to start the game with the best eleven for scoring goals and beating teams.  If one or two of the starting eleven are probably only good for 60 - 75 minutes, so be it, they can be replaced as they run out of steam.
    Making do with lesser bodies for an hour, then hoping for impact from the bench has a much lower chance of success, indeed the horse may already have bolted.  It's far easier to shut up shop, a goal or two ahead, with half an a hour to go, than to go gangbusters for 30 minutes at the end in the hope of turning things around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I doubt Igor will be with us when his contract runs out. But in the meantime, he is potentially our next best striker behind Taylor. Parker could do a job off the bench but Gills didn't even want him and RHF is far from being ready. If he gives a glimmer of some sharpness, which I think he did against Blackpool, then we have to give that glimmer a chance to shine. We don't have other options that are too great. 
  • Options
    I doubt Igor will be with us when his contract runs out. But in the meantime, he is potentially our next best striker behind Taylor. Parker could do a job off the bench but Gills didn't even want him and RHF is far from being ready. If he gives a glimmer of some sharpness, which I think he did against Blackpool, then we have to give that glimmer a chance to shine. We don't have other options that are too great. 
    That's the thing and I agree. We have little choice but to hope and pray Igor comes good. If fit there is no reason as to why he isn't a quality League 1 striker. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Since I’ve been in charge I have always played two strikers. Josh was ill and it was a chance for Igor, but he hasn’t looked sharp in training. I can’t pick people who don’t look good, that’s just the way football is. I can’t just say: ‘Go and play’.

“Obviously a little while ago I had no strikers available – I had no choice. But now Lyle is back and I’m looking for someone to play up top with him.

“To be fair to Igor, those comments were after training on Thursday morning and he was a lot better on Friday. He came on and scored on Saturday, so I got the right reaction from him – which is important.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/igor-vetokele-urged-to-sharpen-up-game-and-take-chance-to-make-big-impact-on-charlton-athletics-league-one-run-in/
    No you havent.

Peterborough KAG was upfront on his own

Fleetwood RHF was upfront on his own

Southend Fosu was a makeshift striker but in no way can be classed as a striker

Thats just 3 examples in the last 5 games where u havent played 2 strikers so you cant say always
  • Options
    clive said:

Since I’ve been in charge I have always played two strikers. Josh was ill and it was a chance for Igor, but he hasn’t looked sharp in training. I can’t pick people who don’t look good, that’s just the way football is. I can’t just say: ‘Go and play’.

No you havent.

Thats just 3 examples in the last 5 games where u havent played 2 strikers so you cant say always
    I think you failed to read his whole comment.
  • Options
    clive said:

No you havent.

No I read it, but you cant make a comment saying always when you havent always
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Scoham said:
    Just noticed that baby Vetokele was born on February 5th .. same date (not day) as Cristiano Ronaldo and my eldest son who were born on the same day ((:>)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    clive said:

No you havent.

He qualified it by saying obviously he didn't play 2 strikers when they weren't available.
    I grant you Bowyer didn't study English at university, but I think you're being a little unfair.
    Anyway, it's of no consequence.
  • Options
    clive said:

No you havent.

he qulified it by saying obviously he didn't play 2 strikers when they weren't available.
    I grant you Bowyer didn't study English at university, but I think you're being a little unfair.
    Anyway, it's of no consequence.
    But their were strikers availble

When he played Grant upfront on his on RHF was on the bench

When he played RHF upfront on his own he had Parker and Igor on the bench.

I maybe being pedantic but he said he has always played 2 upfront, he could have said I try to play 2 upfront as its my preferred option
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I think Bow needs to re-evaluate his striker options. RHF was never prolific for U23s and was rubbish this week. Umerah seems injured, so perhaps Wassim needs considering even though he is deemed a forward rather than a striker. Parker needs to play off the last man to let Taylor wander. Igor has to start. 
  • Options
    It’ll benefit both the team and Igor if he goes on a run of starting games now. 

With our midfields abysmal goal scoring rate, we need any scorers to be fit and full of confidence for what will hopefully be three play off games.