Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Relegations seen

I think this is the 5th or 6th I've seen. is this a record?

Comments

• Options
    I'd doubt it. I've been going since '72 and seen more than that. That's why I love Charlton. Fancy being a Gooner and never having seen your side relegated. It's unreal. Fancy having never experienced a promotion. It's all part of the rich tapestry of being a football fan. Its great. I love it. This season hasn't been dull or boring and you know that neither will next season. I'm excited already.
  • Options
    I started in 72 as well. In the 3rd division. I must have forgotten some.
  • Options
    been too many to mention !!
  • Options
    True but promotions are good!!
  • Options
    74/75 was my first regular season with a great promotion in that last game - which I had to miss ;-(
    The only relegations I've seen were 79 - back to the third for one year only; 89 after four years in the old first and 99

So three relegations + tonight and five promotions + next year.

But this has to be better than being a Spud or a Geordie - thinking you're special and winning absolutely nothing
  • Options
    71/2 was the first relegation for me.

I don't know why, it might sink in later, but this is the least gutted I've ever felt after a relegation.
  • Options
    Len I'm not too worried either - the clubs in good shape; the fans have commited to next year; and the only player to go who we will miss long term is Darren Bent - there's an upside that everyone has talked about so I'm looking forward to next season + free footy the year after!
  • Options
    I think we are relieved its over more than anything.

Its been on the cards since the debacle of the first 12 games and the realisation that Dowie was a chronic error of judgement on our part so its not like its come as a huge shock to our system.

Its worse for Wigan who have been out of the zone all season only to drop in at the last knockings, that's gutting.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I think we are relieved its over more than anything.

Its been on the cards since the debacle of the first 12 games and the realisation that Dowie was a chronic error of judgement on our part so its not like its come as a huge shock to our system.

Its worse for Wigan who have been out of the zone all season only to drop in at the last knockings, that's gutting.

spot on, we've been preparing for it deep down even if we didn't admit to it whereas Wigan have been dropped into the bottom three with two games to go and I can't see them getting out of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I think we are relieved its over more than anything.

spot on, we've been preparing for it deep down even if we didn't admit to it whereas Wigan have been dropped into the bottom three with two games to go and I can't see them getting out of it.

Why did you hae to prepare for it deep down Large? Couldn't you just have been honest with me instead of giving it all that over - positive larK?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]71/2 was the first relegation for me.

I don't know why, it might sink in later, but this is the least gutted I've ever felt after a relegation.

I feel the same Len. I was up for the game but calm. I ask myself the question why? I think for me the answers are

1. I thought we were down before Christmas. So the fact that we came close to staying up is a bonus
    2. It's been an exciting season (2nd half anyway)
    3. I feel we have matured as a bunch of fans this season. The ovation that the players got at the end of this game summed it up for me. There seems to me to be even more togetherness amongst club and fans than I can ever remember. Maybe this had been forged in adversity this year but I can remember 1971/2 like it was yesterday and the venom of fans calling for Glicksten out. The bitterness of the period from 1957 up to that fateful day was too much to bear for many. Today we are sad but looking forward.
    4. Pards coming with his positive mental attitude has rubbed off on us.
    5. There are some youngsters in the pipeline and the squad shake up needs to happen because, even if we didn't go down this year, we would continue to struggle.

After we went down under Lennie, I wondered whether we would ever grace the top Division again. That we did and stayed there as long as we did is something I will never forget. Lets hope our departure is only temporary.

Sad but not downhearted. Charlton Til I Die.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]71/2 was the first relegation for me.

I don't know why, it might sink in later, but this is the least gutted I've ever felt after a relegation.[/quote]

len, me too...i think its because along the way, perhaps without realising it, we've become more than a football club... there's a collective strength about the place these days and selling 16.5k season tickets already just goes to show there's a trust that's been built up between the club and the supporters, the board and the supporters and more importantly between the supporters themselves...nobody is seeing this as the end of something, only as a steeping stone to the next stage...
  • Options
    I make it seven it total

1928?
  • Options
    i knew it was coming but it was still gutting.

i'm not ashamed to admit that i had a few tears rolling down my face on my way back from Dartford station, wasnt gonna let those Sky mugs see it though.

it's a horrible feeling but i'm looking forward to the new fixture list coming out.
  • Options
    Before I went to the game yesterday I went to the Churchyard to visit the grave of my Mum and Dad. Both have died since we were promoted. I shed a tear then. Not after the game. I know I got my priorities right.
  • Options
    1972 the final match against Blackpool and we took a drubbing 4-0 thats when Bob Stoke was manager. I seem to recall going to that match -long journey back on the Lewis coach.
  • Options
    I was at the last three and definately feel less upset than the others.... was really proud when screaming valley floyd road into the air, I thought we were great last night...
  • Options
    i have to agree that with charlton appearing in such great shape,that this feels a lot easier to deal with. looking forward to us competing at the right end of the table again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr] len, me too...i think its because along the way, perhaps without realising it, we've become more than a football club... there's a collective strength about the place these days and selling 16.5k season tickets already just goes to show there's a trust that's been built up between the club and the supporters, the board and the supporters and more importantly between the supporters themselves...nobody is seeing this as the end of something, only as a steeping stone to the next stage...

Brilliantly put LTGTR-

Going through tough times almost inevitably makes one stronger.

Bring on the next season!
  • Options
    I have seen 3

the 1st hurt the most for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I make it seven it total

1928?

Don't forget we had to apply for re-election in 1926! :-)
  • Options
    I've not seen one? :-)

cant wait for next season.
  • Options
    i've seen 2 now,i loved winning so many games when we were down before!

however, hope it only lasts a season and doesn't repeat for at least another 7 years!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I make it seven it total

1928?

Don't forget we had to apply for re-election in 1926! :-)

How could anyone possibly forget that, especially when they are on TV and have checked the answer the same morning. ;-)