Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lest we forget - Charlton player H 'Nobby' Nightingale 13/1/16

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

Thanks Nick,

We must pay him a visit and leave a marker of some sort next time we visit the Western Front.

Clive/SE7TOSG3 is writing up the full story.

I had a chat with Nobby's great nephew and he and the rest of the family are delighted with all the extra information we've given them.

And very exciting, for us at least, the family have a photograph.
  • Options
    Big article on Nobby Nightingale in this weekend's Voice of the Valley by @SE7toSG3 Clive Harris.

plus the first publication of the only known surviving photo of him.
  • Options
    LOVE this thread.
  • Options
    Puts all what's going on at present within he club into perspective. Just think, Nobby and thousands like him fought in Belgium.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Puts all what's going on at present within he club into perspective. Just think, Nobby and thousands like him fought in Belgium.

It looks like history will be repeating itself if Roland doesn't go soon.
  • Options
    I read the article in VOTV last night. Well done to all involved, an excellent article and a fitting tribute to 'Nobby'.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

In case you were unaware, a few of us were in Belgium today to visit R E Farm Cemetery and pay our respects to Nobby Nightingale, following on from the fantastic work done in 'finding' him once more.

It was a true honour to at last acknowledge the ultimate sacrifice this Charlton man had made in the Great War.

We left Nobby's photo in the visitors book, should any of you wish to visit in the future.

A great experience.

Thank you for the history lessons, had a brilliant day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done to you all.
  • Options
    Missed this thread first time around. What a fantastic effort by all involved and a very interesting thread.
  • Options
    Well done guys! was a great ending to a great weekend! Fantastic idea!
  • Options
    brilliant stuff Nick and Ben, well done for visiting and remembering him, just back from Australia and this arrived to add to the war memorial at the Valley in due course, and again thanks for everything you did this weekend connected to the past and present!
  • Options
    In case you can't read it
  • Options
    Will be put up next to the existing war memorial at the Valley, also produced by @SE7toSG3
  • Options
    Excellent.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    That's brilliant Clive!
  • Options
    Well done Nick and Ben,I will update Bruce (Nobby`s great Nephew) with this latest news.I am sure like us all, he will be delighted with what you were able to do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant memorial stone Clive. I am sure there is a story behind how you got the stone this time. Fell of a Lorry near arras I'm sure. Will get out to nobby at re farm pretty soon.
  • Options
    Bumping this as we approach Remembrance Sunday.

We'll confirm details of the unveiling of the memorial to Nobby, Jim Mckenzie and Fred Chick next week.
  • Options
    Got to meet Nobby earlier this year. Was late in the day so not a clear photo.
  • Options
    A few mentions of Nobby on here today and yesterday as some lifers visited his grave on Sunday.

In case you missed it first time or want to re-read the story.

Nobby, along with Fred Chick and Jim McKenzie now have a plaque at the Valley. Have a look and pay your respects next time you're there.
  • Options
    A few people have mentioned Nobby, and the Menin Gate as well.
    It is humbling to visit the gate, but there is an intimacy and absolutely moving feeling visiting Nobby's resting place.
    We went there on the Taxi trip and I am not ashamed to say I shed a few tears too.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I too love this thread made me do a bit of research into my ancestral tree as my some of my family moved from the Charlton area in the early 1900's. Alas it appears we were not related.
    Kudos to all those who took the time to pay their respects.
  • Options
    It was very special on the overnight coach going around the sites that Clive showed us. He was knowledgeable and passionate and showed that history is not just a list of facts and dates, but the stories they tell us.

Visiting these sites is something that I don't think I would have done on my own. Very glad I did and would recommend anyone else who gets the chance to gets to hear Clive talk about this. Very moving - the scale of the Menin Gate just brings home the horrific loss of life. And this was just in one sector.

• Options
    I was so overwhelmed by visiting Nobby's grave and the Menin Gate that I plan to go back in a few months time as we didn't have long enough time there to do it justice. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how well the cemetery's were upkept especially at this time of year with bad weather etc. A CL trip over there, even for a day, would be something special and the Ypres area is only just over an hour from Calais so easily doable. I'm sure Clive would be up to taking a coach load over.
  • Options

I was so overwhelmed by visiting Nobby's grave and the Menin Gate that I plan to go back in a few months time as we didn't have long enough time there to do it justice. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how well the cemetery's were upkept especially at this time of year with bad weather etc. A CL trip over there, even for a day, would be something special and the Ypres area is only just over an hour from Calais so easily doable. I'm sure Clive would be up to taking a coach load over.

The 'In Flanders Fields' Museum in the Cloth Hall at Ypres is also very good, worth a good 3 hours if in the area.
  • Options

This is a brilliant idea. I've been to Ypres and the surrounds several times over the years, it's one of my favourite towns and I love visiting the various cemeteries (of all countries). However I'm not a historian and never felt like taking one of the official tours. Having a tour which had a Charlton element to it would be special.