Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Airman Brown's Evening Standard Interview Today

Comments

• We need to utilise the 12th man - the crowd - to get enough wins to be safe. Another journeyman manager/head coach will not make this happen. But the appointment of Powell, Bowyer or JJ would.

Some on here talking about an appointment for now and then another appointment in the summer - really? Do we really want even more change?

Curtis talked a good game the other day. I think he and Pearcey should have enough nous to steady the ship for tomorrow but we need the owners/board to splash the cash and bring in the “right” person - whoever that may be - as soon as possible. Whoever that is will be part of rebuilding the squad for next season and we really don’t want to have to be getting out of League 2.
  • Outstanding article.
  • Sponsored links:

• FWIW I don't think we are likely to get out of this state all the time we have the wrong people at the helm.

Whilst it's on the pitch that matters, even success like Bowyer managed won't last without the right people running it at the top.

In reality whether Owner/CEO/COO/Chairman etc etc and those they employ have in the main been dreadful for 10+ years and I've seen nothing from the latest crowd to think we've now got the right people, far from it.
  • Rob7Lee said:

FWIW I don't think we are likely to get out of this state all the time we have the wrong people at the helm.

Whilst it's on the pitch that matters, even success like Bowyer managed won't last without the right people running it at the top.

In reality whether Owner/CEO/COO/Chairman etc etc and those they employ have in the main been dreadful for 10+ years and I've seen nothing from the latest crowd to think we've now got the right people, far from it.
    How do we know we don’t have the right people running it? By all accounts they have been working to improve the running of things behind the scenes and it seems clear they get what needs to be done. If we were top of the league (ultimately it’s the performance of the first team that matters) people would be quite happy with the owners.
  • A poor run of results does for any manager, but did Apples not getting our club and being alienated from our fans really contribute to his? I don't think so. He just wasn't very good organizing the resources at his disposal here.

The next man in needs to win matches, whether an Alan Curbishley or a Joey Barton. If he doesn't, few fans will be patient given our current placing.
  • Well said, Rick. 
  • swordfish said:
    A poor run of results does for any manager, but did Apples not getting our club and being alienated from our fans really contribute to his? I don't think so. He just wasn't very good organizing the resources at his disposal here.

The next man in needs to win matches, whether an Alan Curbishley or a Joey Barton. If he doesn't, few fans will be patient given our current placing.
    It certainly didn't do him any favours. If he had shown any humility or even some sort of enthusiasm then he probably would not have got the level of personal abuse that he did.

Look at the difference between him and Holden. Most people I think probably saw that Holden needed to go but wished him well personally, whereas Appleton had people who actively loathed him.

Results are by far the biggest factor, but personality is part of it too.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 27
    It was a very good summary of our situation although I think there is hope. There is always hope. Like there was hope under Powell and then Bowyer. In both cases, for different reasons, the ownership failed to build on that when there was a clear opportunity to do so. Would the new ownership do the same? I don't think so but I am not sure they have the nous to get into that position although a bit of luck can do that. Bowyer was definitely luck and the cheap option. That luck could be that Fleming and Pearce could be a great team. I admit there is straw clutching but maybe less so than if we appoint a manager who opposing fans wanted out as much as Charlton fans wanted Appleton out.

Then I think the galvanising of support in the 2019 play off run showed that if you build it they will come. I think the nature of the area has changed to the point where there is potentially more support but you have to give them something to support. I will always be a Charlton supporter but I have to acknowledge that all I have got for it over recent years is kick after kick in the teeth. It is a job going to watch us rather than a pleasure and the Valley when rocking is an exhilarating experience, an experience Alex Ferguson commented on in our Premier League days, but a souless, depressing one when only a third full, or less. How can new fans be expected to turn up under those conditions and how do youngsters nag their parents to take them?

I think the solution is to find the right manager, which involves more luck than owners and some fans care to adimt, which we did do with Powell and Bowyer and then back them. Then the mood music changes and the fans start returning because it is not such a terrible experience, quite the opposite. An experience where you are often buzzing for days afterwards, not wanting to cry unless you can think of something else.
  • Rob7Lee said:

FWIW I don't think we are likely to get out of this state all the time we have the wrong people at the helm.

How do we know we don’t have the right people running it? By all accounts they have been working to improve the running of things behind the scenes and it seems clear they get what needs to be done. If we were top of the league (ultimately it’s the performance of the first team that matters) people would be quite happy with the owners.
    I hope you are right mate. Unfortunately, the past decade has made it very hard for fans to trust those at the helm. 
  • clive said:

Anonymous owners and another disastrous managerial appointment have the Addicks fearing relegation to League Two.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-woes-worsen-fans-wonder-magic-ever-return-b1135138.html

He ain’t happy unless there’s a bit of drama at the club.
  • Good piece.
    I often wonder if you could pick one single point in history where you could pinpoint 'where did it all go wrong?' what would it be
    I keep coming back to the very second Alan Curbishley walked out of the door.
    when we sold parker (i know we didn't want to) was the moment the trajectory changed - at that point we had raised our heads above the parapet and got picked off and if there was a time to bring in new investment so we could give AC the funds to adequately re build, it was then - after that we were treading water and although AC did a good job with what he had, it was only a matter of time - you can only pull rabbits out of the hat for so long and once he inevitably left, the over performing ended and the under performing started. 
  • swordfish said:
    A poor run of results does for any manager, but did Apples not getting our club and being alienated from our fans really contribute to this? I don't think so. He just wasn't very good organizing the resources at his disposal here.

One thing it does but you is a bit of time. The fans were not sure about him from the start and his visible attitude toward the club and fans were clear to see and only exasperated their thoughts.

Now it may have only been 1, 2 maybe 3 games, but if he had turned it around in those games who knows?

It's one of the reasons I think this shakey ownership wanted Powell 
  • i think the appointment of the next manager is critical - he needs to be good and he needs to be given the power to choose his own players and play the formation he wants - this 'director of football' model also came about at the time curbs left - bowyer and powell were given the full reigns but how many others have had players pushed on to them and styles of play imposed - give warnock a year with total control and he'll have put together a team that will go straight up and we will be back where we belong and where most of us will be happy with