Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"The protest doesn't affect me and I don't think it affects the other players"

2»

Comments

• People complain when Makienok doesnt jump high enough to head the ball (or if none of his headers go on target or to his team-mates) but you've also got to look at how the ball is delivered to him...

(1) Makienok is a tall bloke (only a bit taller than myself) and I can vouch that tall people cannot jump very far off the ground, just look at Peter Crouch who barely gets off the ground himself...

(2) So that means if the ball is hit too high, he'll be stretching to receive the ball, it means that the ball wont hit the sweet spot on his head which naturally means that if Simon makes contact, its going to be a lottery where the ball ends up.

(3) Yes Simon doesnt bother to jump sometimes yet thats usually because you can easily see he don't stand a chance of getting the ball because its far too high, but at the same time why should he, if he goes for every lost cause its telling his team mate they can just hit and hope and that Simon will go chasing for any pathetic pass... By ignoring some hoofs he's sending a message that if they want the pressure eased off them, they have to pass better

(4) We saw against Ipswich the above is the case... We saw against Forest that if you aim for Simon's chest (or ribs), he can then control the ball and bring other players into play rather than a pointless hopeful flick on, on Saturday every time that happened we started a dangerous attack.

(5) At the same time you dont want to see the ball given to Makienok's feet (Using myself as an example), its a long way down from your eyes to your feet so his ball control on the floor is pretty shocking

So basically don't knock it to him in the air or on the ground ?

We saw against Forest that if you aim for Simon's chest (or ribs)

Hmmm where do YOU think the chest / ribs is located on a Human?
    From Saturday that's simply not true. Countless times the ball was played into him and instead of letting the ball hit him on the chest or body he panicked and crouched to head back first time. Only one I can remember working was from a long Henderson pass and he wasn't marked. That's not gonna happen a lot for a 6ft 7 barely mobile centre forward.
    Strange cos I saw it happen about four or five times... Had you left when Makienok held up the ball and passed to Harriott right at the death when he almost scored on the counter attack and then from the resulting corner?
    From what i can remember he didnt hold it up, he deflected a pass into his path.
    Watch it from about 2:30... http://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-n-forest/339824

He definitely controls it with his chest before passing on to Harriott
    Yep fair enough.

That first touch though.......
  • People complain when Makienok doesnt jump high enough to head the ball (or if none of his headers go on target or to his team-mates) but you've also got to look at how the ball is delivered to him...

(1) Makienok is a tall bloke (only a bit taller than myself) and I can vouch that tall people cannot jump very far off the ground, just look at Peter Crouch who barely gets off the ground himself...

(2) So that means if the ball is hit too high, he'll be stretching to receive the ball, it means that the ball wont hit the sweet spot on his head which naturally means that if Simon makes contact, its going to be a lottery where the ball ends up.

(3) Yes Simon doesnt bother to jump sometimes yet thats usually because you can easily see he don't stand a chance of getting the ball because its far too high, but at the same time why should he, if he goes for every lost cause its telling his team mate they can just hit and hope and that Simon will go chasing for any pathetic pass... By ignoring some hoofs he's sending a message that if they want the pressure eased off them, they have to pass better

(4) We saw against Ipswich the above is the case... We saw against Forest that if you aim for Simon's chest (or ribs), he can then control the ball and bring other players into play rather than a pointless hopeful flick on, on Saturday every time that happened we started a dangerous attack.

(5) At the same time you dont want to see the ball given to Makienok's feet (Using myself as an example), its a long way down from your eyes to your feet so his ball control on the floor is pretty shocking

So basically don't knock it to him in the air or on the ground ?

We saw against Forest that if you aim for Simon's chest (or ribs)

Hmmm where do YOU think the chest / ribs is located on a Human?
    From Saturday that's simply not true. Countless times the ball was played into him and instead of letting the ball hit him on the chest or body he panicked and crouched to head back first time. Only one I can remember working was from a long Henderson pass and he wasn't marked. That's not gonna happen a lot for a 6ft 7 barely mobile centre forward.
    Strange cos I saw it happen about four or five times... Had you left when Makienok held up the ball and passed to Harriott right at the death when he almost scored on the counter attack and then from the resulting corner?
    From what i can remember he didnt hold it up, he deflected a pass into his path.
    Watch it from about 2:30... http://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-n-forest/339824

He definitely controls it with his chest before passing on to Harriott
    Yep fair enough.

That first touch though.......
    Yeah granted he could have lost that to a more alert opposition player
  • Tall people can't jump?
    The Masai can jump about 2' off the ground with no run up.

Are they like the Fekawi tribe?

They're a tribe who live in really tall grass which can be annoying because they can't actually see where they are, to actually tell their location they're forever jumping up and down going... Where the feck are we, where the feck are we?
    the old ones certainly are the best.
    Not according to Katrien.
  • Think he's a poor player that can sometimes show us glimpses of quality, but no more than what a standard 6ft striker offers.

Spot on.

But people jeering him need to get a life. Almost as sad as those people who cheer when a waitress drops a plate in a restaurant.
  • Big strikers need the ball in the box and they need it in there early. Harriott did that on Saturday and we got our goal.

Forest should be fuming about the lack of urgency to close Harriott down before he crossed. The bloke just stood off him by about five yards.
  • I want him to do well, as I genuinely believe he cares about the cause.

If we were the sort of side that had wingers putting balls into the box regularly (see the two goals against Hull...), then we would get much more out of him.

He needs service and he needs to be in a good, attacking side.
  • I like Mak, he seems like a nice guy from the interviews and Charlton youtube player specials I've seen.

however as a player he struggles. his heading is poor and his touch is terrible majority of the time. I hear that he drives so if his reaction speed on the pitch is anything to go by, I'm seriously worried for those who live in petts wood (as that is where I believe he lives)
  • edited January 2016
    I'm just pleased he got his locks chopped, he took a heck of a lot of pelters from the Forest fans when we played them away, i'm sure it registered with him as he knew we were playing Forest again, and he'd cop a lot of abuse.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2016
    whatever .. but the haircut is a big improvement .. he's an improver who just needs to get used to the Championship and what he can and cannot get away with, with English referees
  • cafctom said:

I want him to do well, as I genuinely believe he cares about the cause.

If we were the sort of side that had wingers putting balls into the box regularly (see the two goals against Hull...), then we would get much more out of him.

He needs service and he needs to be in a good, attacking side.

This is a good point. What's also good about it is that for the last God knows how many years now, we've been playing right footed wingers on the left, and vice versa. Thereby completely removing the early ball in because Gudmunsson or whoever needs to cut back on their favoured foot, not cross it, end up playing it square or back to the full back and the sideways football begins again.

When I saw Harriott back on Sat I thought, must be coming in on the left for Lookman, surely. No, tactical master KF says Vaz Te you go out left and Harriott you play right. I give up
  • Interesting. Normally they wheel Makienok out to calm things down because he's an excellent, sensible speaker. Seems to have backfired a bit this time though as he hasn't said anything that backs the owners up. If anything he's given carte blanche for the protests to go on knowing it won't bother the players.

As for jeering him when he wins a header, it's pretty shameful. It's unfortunate that he chose to have his truly awful game live on tv but he's a whole-hearted player and we've had far, far worse footballers with infinitely worse attitudes who haven't been treated as badly as him. I reckon Morgan Fox is pretty grateful to him for shifting focus though. Some people always have to have a scapegoat.
  • I don't imagine it affects the owner much either
  • Big players up front with long hair usually cop flak. He looks awkward, but is actually a much better player than we give him credit for, as evidenced by the goal and his lovely ball through to Harriott for the (almost) match-winner. If we gave Mathias Svensson the benefit of the doubt then we can Makienok. Booing him also just plays into Fraeye's hands.
  • Don't rate the bloke but to cheer him winning headers is odd. Few morons around me in the North Upper guilty, all aged at least thirty. Weird.
  • redman said:

thread gone totally off track.
    The real message is he and the players aren't affected by the PROTEST. SO PROTEST ON!

this.

however as has been mentioned he is put of by the sarcastic cheers...

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/14179352.Charlton_forward_admits_sarcastic_cheers_are_not_helping_him/
  • I like Mak, he seems like a nice guy from the interviews and Charlton youtube player specials I've seen.

however as a player he struggles. his heading is poor and his touch is terrible majority of the time. I hear that he drives so if his reaction speed on the pitch is anything to go by, I'm seriously worried for those who live in petts wood (as that is where I believe he lives)

The sarcastic cheers really are pathetic but as a player is he any better than George Tucudean ?
  • I love Big Mak ( and Mrs Mak..)

In this emotionally sterile Belgian universe at least the fellla has some heart.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like him too. Not the most gifted footballer in the world but seems to give his all and does offer some different options. Had a mare against Ipswich but every player will have an off day, I think the booing (or ironic cheering) is completely unjustified.
  • I like Mak but as a guy nearly his height who played/plays a lot of football, I can't help but think its laziness in not maximizing the natural advantage you have. It's very easy in less competitive leagues to not worry about your jumping technique or bulking out to maximizing your strength advantage but at the level he's playing at, it's clearly not quite enough. He's not the first and won't be the last tall footballer to not make the most of his natural advantage. He should be an absolute nightmare for defenders every single game but isn't really. I've coached plenty of tall kids also and in my experience, They can be coached to jump high still, bulk out for better strength and have just a good ball control and guys of 5'5 - it just depends how hard they're prepared to work for it and the coaching they get.
  • edited January 2016

I like Mak, he seems like a nice guy from the interviews and Charlton youtube player specials I've seen.

The sarcastic cheers really are pathetic but as a player is he any better than George Tucudean ?
    Mak's first touch definitely isn't better. But on balance I'd say he still probably offers more than Tucudean. Not much in it though, for me.
  • On Saturday's performance, he is far more dangerous on the ground than in the air. That was mainly because Harriot was zipping in low crosses with his left foot which were curling away from the keeper and into his path. He was then using his height advantage to get a foot to the ball before the keeper. He scored one and almost scored another but for a great reflex save. With Harriot and Gudmundson delivering such crosses from both wings, some high, some low, he could be a real asset and score many more.
  • when he gets a sarcastic cheer he just put his hand up in acknowledgement

• Spot on.

But people jeering him need to get a life. Almost as sad as those people who cheer when a waitress drops a plate in a restaurant.

Ah, but that's Katrien's target customer base....

Would so many jeer if they thought they were Roland's type of people?
  • edited January 2016

cabbles said:

What I have found interesting and although I agree with it in principle, is the 'support the team, not the regime' ethos. I'm really starting to run out of patience with some of those placyers, particularly Mak, Ba & Sarr. Yes they're all still young, but they're just not good enough. I thought Mak would be okay given his start. I don't agree with the ironic jeering, but all 3 of them just aren't up to it. Sarr's balance is weird, he doesn't look comfortable on the ball, and is error prone. Ba is a massive liability. Does the odd bit of skill but is in no way able to cope with how physical the league is, and prone to lose possession. Mak, for the size he is really struggles to win the physical battle.

Like I said, I know they're young, but, like our inexperienced manager, they're just not good enough for us.

For now all players deserve every breath of encouragement and the blame of if their good enough or not at the owner and ceo,
    Absolutely. I'm often guilty of slagging players off. But seriously think that any player having to endure training and guidance off of Carol deserves as much sympathy and support as they can get off the fans. Think we can only really judge a player when they are being 'managed' by a proper coach / manager. Not an interim waiter.
  • How strange that the version of this interview on the Charlton site cuts out the reference to the protests. Almost as if they were pretending nothing happened.
  • edited January 2016