Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Gold boycott?

As we are thinking of ways of hitting RD where it hurts, should we collectively be thinking in terms of Valley Gold?

I understand that it isn't run by the club directly but it does supply funds for RDs pet project. I know that it pales into insignificance against an investment of £12m but it would send a message.

Would this be desirable?
Would this be effective?

Comments

• Options
    This is the one aspect I am still not sure of. Currently I am retaining my membership.
  • Options
    As a contributor from the very start of the launch of VG, I am considering withdrawing and saving the contribution I make. I suppose that I am looking for reasons why I shouldn't stop.

On a purely 'what do I get out of it?' point of view, I doubt that I will need to use this for many hard to get tickets for a while. I guess it is a bit like the NHS lottery, you know that the profits go to a good cause and you might just get lucky and get some of it back. With the VG case though, the good cause is now open to question in my mind.
  • Options
    I don't plan of giving up my membership but if the consensus is that we should. Then I will.
  • Options
    I'm out, cancelling following the silly girls comments about us become a farm club, to keep the rain man happy
  • Options
    I am already out.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

However I thought that Valley Gold is independent of the Club?

If that assumption is correct then why can't Valley Gold hold funds collected rather than pass them to the Club until such time as they are happy that the Club Regime will use them as intended?

This is a great idea if it works.
  • Options
    Glad you raised the point as it seems to me it will be providing financial support to an owner who doesn't deserve it.
    RD should surely bear the funding of the development of the hatchling Prem stars as part of his project.
    Not sure I should be paying towards a scheme that tapped into goodwill for the club when the way forward proposed by RD is to hold hands while walking off a cliff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can the members be canvassed. I would like to continue to contribute, but freeze contributions to the club until we agree we should. That would be if we get new owners or the current owners convince us they have changed their ways ( i know that won't happen). Let the money build up why we wait.
  • Options
    One of the first things I am going to do in The New Year is cancel my Valley Gold membership. I also have been in since the start, I would rather give the money to the Trust.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

LenGlover said:

Forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

However I thought that Valley Gold is independent of the Club?

If that assumption is correct then why can't Valley Gold hold funds collected rather than pass them to the Club until such time as they are happy that the Club Regime will use them as intended?

It is. However Meire is on that committee alongside CFO of the club, David Joyes. http://www.valleygold.org.uk/who-we-are/committee/

They should not be on it IMO.
    I raised this 2 months ago, but the Trust rep on the committee did not agree with the suggestion so it went no further. Maybe the mood has changed enough for this now to occur
  • Options
    i think it has. I will withdraw my Valley gold membership if both KM and DJ are not removed from the committee by the end of January. But I am just one, we need all Valley Gold members who feel as strongly as me to make the same pledge.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Thanks @TellyTubby for starting a page on this,
    I asked a couple of hours back, but, got no response.
    Still not sure if I should cancel my DD.
    What do I do ?
  • Options
    There has always been two members of the football club management on the VG committee, as far as I know.
  • Options
    I joined at the start for the obvious reason but that became a success story and then the reason for continuing was youth development for the next generation of Charlton players. I always excepted that there will always be players sold but things have changed somewhat in the last few years.
    I don't want to cancel my subs but I don't like contributing to RD's book balancing schemes and seeing young player leave before they have played no more than a handful of games. I think it's only a sense of loyalty that keeps me in now.
    I'll give it serious consideration next year, in the morning.
  • Options
    Understandable when members respected the owners, but things have surely changed. Many of the fans who contribute, have been insulted by KM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2015
    The valley gold committee consists of five members, the club appoint 2, 2 fans reps are appointed by the committee, and originally were supposed to only serve a short period of 2 years. The chair is also appointed by the committee, as far as I was aware they all have a vote.

This set up worked when there was a central CASC from which to draw the reps, and when fans and club were far closer. I think the rules and regs may have changed slightly recently though.

It would be difficult to change tack, and probably easier to start a new one. However you would need an organisation to handle the lottery element, there are legal issues around that, you would also lose the matchday draw I expect, and all club advertising.

You would also politicise Valley Gold or its successor, essentially whereas now it is apolitical in a sense. Is that a good thing?

In some ways it might inadvertantly be destroying something special, then again perhaps it has already been destroyed when KM declared the club no longer needed the VIP money, and sold off products of our academy for undisclosed amounts

There could be a way ahead if VG was democratised with 4 positions drawn from
    and voted for by its members, and club people attending in an advisory way, finances would also need to be seperated out as I think the club CFO does those.

I very much doubt the club would accept that though, and given the struggle WP had getting responses from the last two ownerships, they very much take for granted what is a major 'sponsor'. VG is a large contributor, the VIP scheme was supposed to be a loan, in which contributors received a discount on their season ticket if they paid for a number of years in advance - although for a small number they did end up paying a bit more, I dont think it amounted to anything like the VG contribution.

What may happen is membership continues to drop making it effectively defunct, and the club no longer need what it can give, and seperate off the lottery part.

In essence we may be looking at a very changed VG if current trends continue, if it survives. In some ways it it the last relic of that unique collaboration Charlton Athletic and its fans.

If many do decide to cancel there are other groups that fans can give to, not sure donating to the club under the current regime is going to be high on their agendas.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    It will be sad as it will be hard to pick up again after the Belgians leave. But I am not willing to put my money into it if that cow is on the committee. I will have to leave with a very heavy heart.
  • Options

i think it has. I will withdraw my Valley gold membership if both KM and DJ are not removed from the committee by the end of January. But I am just one, we need all Valley Gold members who feel as strongly as me to make the same pledge.

I would happily support this. Who do we contact at VG to raise our concerns?
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I would happily support this. Who do we contact at VG to raise our concerns?
    http://www.valleygold.org.uk/who-we-are/committee/
  • Options
    The members have the power to call a meeting.

http://www.valleygold.org.uk/who-we-are/rules/
  • Options
    I too have been questioning my monthly donation.

Will keep an eye on this thread before making a decision.
  • Options
    Thank you for all your knowledgeable input guys. I will definitely stop my DD by the end of January.

I see no prospect of km wanting to relinquish any influence or control over VG and I have no wish to contribute any money to them anyway as they clearly hold me as a fan in total contempt.

In the circumstances I think that I would be a total mug to continue membership. If enough of us think the same, VG won't be able to keep going.

I would hope and believe that it can be resurrected once we have new owners.