Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Widening The Protest - Three Ideas

edited December 2015 in General Charlton
It is great that we have the protests organised for Saturday, and it will be greater still if they achieve the desired result. However, I don't think that anyone honestly believes that the regime will capitulate over night and that the struggle to rid our club of the the invisible assassin and his grinning goon will take rather longer. There's also a three week gap until the following home game and I wouldn't want the campaign to lose any momentum. So, we need something to fill the gap between Saturday and the next home game and something to take the campaign a little further into the future. Here are three ideas:

1. Contact The Belgian Embassy

If every disgruntled Charlton fan were to write to the Belgian embassy it may give a lever to get some publicity in the Belgian press and cause Duchatelet some embarrassment (if these were well co-ordinated and we copied emails to the Beligian media). I do not expect that the Embassy would do anything to help our cause, at least directly, but contacting them may raise the profile of our campaign in Belgium. We'd need to ensure that messages were positive, respectful and could in no way be construed as insulting to Belgium or the Belgian people. They should stress a desire for cooperation and good relations, whilst highlighting that the actions of certain prominent Belgian people run counter to this spirit and are damaging to Charlton Athletic which is an important British cultural icon. The address is on the Embassy website. As well as emailing we could perhaps go a little further and organise a day where we leafleted any staff/visitors going into the Embassy. There are also eight 'Honorary Consulates' in Belfast, Edinburgh, Gibraltar, Jersey, Kinston-upon-Hull, Manchester, Newcastle and Southampton. If we have any fans living near these we could leaflet them as well.

2. Contact the Anglo-Belgian Society

The stated objective of this organisation is, '...to promote cultural and social relations between the two peoples...'. As with the embassy, I'd think we can legitimately contact them via the address on their website, making the case that the actions of certain prominent Belgians, risk damaging the cultural and social relations that they seek to promote.

3. Belgian National Day

It's a long way off, yet. But the national day of Belgium is on 21st of July. It may provide a useful close-season focus for us to do something, especially if there are any events planned in London. Failing that, we could all just down some Chimay to drown our sorrows ;-)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    Shame Belgian National Day isnt the same day as the Welling Pre-Season Friendly (Is too late in July for that and on a Thursday)
  • Options
    Sustained momentum is key and they are good ideas. One thing I have been keen to cut out and avoid drawing attention to is this anti Belgium rhetoric that may be perceived as being part of it. This 'you Belgian w******' chant (I know it's covered on another thread) is idiotic and it makes us look like a bunch of facists, taking away from the fact that RD is an idiot and we need him gone. My personal thoughts are he could have been born in Floyd Road, I'd still want him out.

Below are the Twitter handles of some of the Belgian networks I could find. Not sure how we could engage them though

@2BE

@ActuaTV

@canvastv

@een

@Roularta

@MEDIALAAN

@RTBF

@VRT

• Options
    Good thread @Stig hopefully we can use this thread to bring potential next steps ideas to the table
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    John Chapman would be a good outlet. He tweets a lot about Belgian Football. He may have some contacts in the Belgian press who could make life uncomfortable for Messr. Duchatelet, maybe? @belgofoot is his Twitter username
  • Options
    I think the more imaginative the ideas, the more interested the press will be.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I think the more imaginative the ideas, the more interested the press will be.

I think a great idea would be for everyone to stand up during a match, turn around and silently face their seat.

Would certainly look strange, and be completely different to what has been seen before.
  • Options
    Sadly, I think we would then all need to moon to get the press attention.
  • Options
    Could we not send RD a letter/package to his office from us fans explaining in a polite non abusive way all our many issues & more information about PV?

Sure it may be ignored but if as some people believe KM & possibly RM are keeping the reality of PV interest from RD to protect personal pride and career interests then it might at the very least get him to take more serious notice of what is going on here and the potential offer on the table.
  • Options
    Interesting, @Stig . If there is a Belgian Chamber of Commerce that would be the most relevant org. He may even be a member!

Funny, just as I typed this, I crossed the border into Belgium!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is Prague, Belgium and Luxembourg.
    http://www.blcc.co.uk/pages/businessnetwork.html
  • Options
    How about hanging bedsheets off bridges and on roundabouts much like those happy birthday ones, just with #rolandout #CAFC?
  • Options

Interesting, @Stig . If there is a Belgian Chamber of Commerce that would be the most relevant org. He may even be a member!

Funny, as you typed that. I thought someone ought to go to Belgium and smack that guy up the side of the head. ;)
  • Options

Shit on it.
    Would be good if somebody did this to the sofa - maybe superglue some joke dog sh*t on it!
  • Options
    Someone mentioned Lord Michael Grade on one of the other threads. He is an ex-Director/VP and still attends regularly and sits in the Director's box. He is passionate about Charlton. Not sure he would speak out directly himself against the owners or management - but if he could be contacted - probably by the trust in an 'official' capacity - maybe he would have some suggestions, insight or communication ideas he could contribute. Not sure if anyone on here has that option open to them.
  • Options
    What are RD's businesses? Are they customer facing? Do they have Social Media outlets? Flood them with tweets and other such social media negativity, all factual, all Charlton related and English and Flemish language.
  • Options
    Good idea, we should look at what disruption we can give him outside of the club.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Someone mentioned Lord Michael Grade on one of the other threads. He is an ex-Director/VP and still attends regularly and sits in the Director's box. He is passionate about Charlton. Not sure he would speak out directly himself against the owners or management - but if he could be contacted - probably by the trust in an 'official' capacity - maybe he would have some suggestions, insight or communication ideas he could contribute. Not sure if anyone on here has that option open to them.

Indeed , would love to hear his views on this ownership
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice Stig, good work.
  • Options
    Have you tried telling the press about getting the Belgian embassy involved, and even better that they answered you and are willing to intervene? Its a cracking little bit of extra spice in the battle to beat them.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Have you tried telling the press about getting the Belgian embassy involved, and even better that they answered you and are willing to intervene? Its a cracking little bit of extra spice in the battle to beat them.

No, I haven't. To be honest I almost didn't post it here. It tells us that the ambassador is polite and sympathetic, but beyond that he's not really getting involved.
  • Options
    Stig, well done.
    BTw, i've invited you onto another intiative thread if you check your inbox.
  • Options
    I remember years ago at a home game lots of fans throwing their programmes onto the pitch in disgust at a decision the ref had made if I remember rightly? Was one of our players injured and the ref played on or something?

Anyway.....that was quite an 'innocent' act of defiance. It delayed the game a bit but not much. But got quite a lot of attention if I remember rightly. Maybe those that are still attending games could do that?
  • Options
    braydex said:

I remember years ago at a home game lots of fans throwing their programmes onto the pitch in disgust at a decision the ref had made if I remember rightly? Was one of our players injured and the ref played on or something?

Anyway.....that was quite an 'innocent' act of defiance. It delayed the game a bit but not much. But got quite a lot of attention if I remember rightly. Maybe those that are still attending games could do that?

I was there for that game, but I can't for the life of me remember why it happened.
  • Options

braydex said:

I was there for that game, but I can't for the life of me remember why it happened.
    I'm thinking something to do with Steve brown?