Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

An Open Letter to our CEO

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Just as well she won't read it then :) I really want to get thousands of Beth's letter on the pitch - anybody else up for this on Saturday?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Does anyone sit in the West Upper?

IF so could you print out 20 copies and then hand them out to the journalist in the press seats.

This is a good idea... ideally not just the letter but a covering sheet or two with soundbites from KM and the aims of and background to the protests... effectively a press pack of sorts.
  • Options

IF so could you print out 20 copies and then hand them out to the journalist in the press seats.

I'm on the case!
  • Options
    Can you give them the Varney e-mails too whilst you're at it!
  • Options

I'm on the case!
    You beat me to it, I'll leave it in your capable.

• Options
    It's only one sheet - pdf on the thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Hi guys, please be aware of @bethanyarcher request of not handing it over yet to KM. She has a plan I suggest we let her stick to it, but into the media is what she wants and VoTV, can we help her with that?
  • Options

Hi RedM, can you tell Bethany its been approved (the approval sometimes goes to spam folders)

Done
    While I tell Mrs RedM you've been hassling the ladies again on FB ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst you're at it, why not just hand over the complete set of Duchatelet Files?

• Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

This is one of the first bits of Duchatelet/Meire criticism I've seen that I can side with. It really is about communication, empathy, employing a real manager and covering quickly for injured players. Gets to the nub of it.

If there's one thing I disagree with it is the 'fans as customers' thing - of course it goes deeper than this but in a way Meire is being naively honest and showing that she thinks of us in terms of the bottom line, which is to be expected. It is certainly true that she could be more political, but as far as she is concerned we are customers, and I have no problem with this - as long as she keeps the prices low then I'm perfectly content to turn up. My turning up is a personal attachment that she has nothing to do with. I wish more felt the same.

So you're content to go as long as the prices are low, regardless of the 'product' you are receiving?
    Yes. It is blind faith, sure. And before you all tell me to go to Welling United instead, well the football is still better at Charlton, the stadium nicer, the atmosphere richer and the club one I've supported since early childhood.

I am not saying that everyone should have these standards, but personally I am going to turn up no matter what league we're in
    So will the vast majority of us boycotters if not all. You clearly still do not get it and so never will. It is not about results or the quality of football it is that competitive football is not their aim.
  • Options
    With regards to the media, I've seen Talksport mentioned, worth sharing it with Stan and try to get 2-3 designated callers from here for his Call Collymore on Saturday?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Whilst you're at it, why not just hand over the complete set of Duchatelet Files?

• Options

I'm on the case!
    Good man

And if you have a decent printer could print out some of the Spell it out post.cards too?
  • Options

My open letter to KM:

As a boy, I was taken to the north bank at Highbury by my dad. He brought in a wooden stool that I stood on and Arsenal were my club. If I was lucky, I would get some peanuts – Percy Daltons in the shell. I recall Arsenal getting beat in the cup final against Leeds and decided not to support them anymore and become a St Helens Rugby league fan. As a glory seeking 8 year old, I had had enough. Then my Grandad retired and spent a lot of his new found time with me. I remember often going fishing with him, and never catching any fish. He taught me patience. He always insisted in using bread as bait and taught me to resist the temptation to check the bread had not disintegrated from the hook too soon. So we were effectively fishing with just a hook in the water for most of the time! But I didn’t care, he had a cracking sense of humour and I loved spending time with him.

In 1975, when I was 11 he decided to take me to a football match. For some reason it was Millwall v Charlton at the Den. I recall it was a 1-1 draw. He took me again next season to the same fixture – again, I think it was a 1-1 draw with Lawrie Abrahams scoring for us. He asked me if I wanted to go more often. I said I did, but I didn’t like the blue team, could we go and see Charlton. He said they were a London team so why not.

I was probably at just the right age, but I really fell in love with Charlton at this point. I recall beating Blackpool 3-0 at the Valley and thinking this is my club. I remember being incredibly nervous before games and sharing some great moments with Grandad who himself become a Charlton fan. I recall the 4-1 victory over Spurs, heroes like Paddy Powell, Killer, Mike Flanagan and Nicky Johns that I shared with him. When my Grandad passed away, I kept going. I feel closer to him when I am at the Valley in a strange way. Charlton are not a business to me, they are something I love with all my heart. One of my first dates with my future wife was to the Valley. It was a message to her that if she was serious about me she would have to take on Charlton too. She did and she accompanies me to games with our 14 year old son who was christened at the Valley and has been a mascot twice. As a young boy he absolutely worshipped Darren Bent. I recall him and his team mates often being asked by coaches etc... who their favourite players was - you would get the Rooneys and Ronaldos but his response always took the questioner back! I converted my brother and he comes to games too.

There are moments I have shared with Charlton that I will take to my grave. The glory may have not have been constant but it meant more for that. The Curbishley years including the play-off final, winning the Championship and League One titles, players who have graced the shirt. Seeing DiCanio, Simonsen and Costa in a Charlton shirt. Superclive, Carl Leaburn (I was a fan), Sir Chris (so proud when he got his England caps) and my favourite ever player, Richard Rufus. Peter Shirtliff’s two goals in the play off final against Leeds – running back to the station for my life after the game. Stevie Gritt and Robbo – seemingly limited players who just had hearts so big, they became Charlton greats. Lennie Lawrence, and of course Curbs - the greatest! This isn’t a restaurant you stupid cow, it is my life.

Shit Muttley, you've just moved me to tears in a crowded pub!!
  • Options

My open letter to KM:

As a boy, I was taken to the north bank at Highbury by my dad. He brought in a wooden stool that I stood on and Arsenal were my club. If I was lucky, I would get some peanuts – Percy Daltons in the shell. I recall Arsenal getting beat in the cup final against Leeds and decided not to support them anymore and become a St Helens Rugby league fan. As a glory seeking 8 year old, I had had enough. Then my Grandad retired and spent a lot of his new found time with me. I remember often going fishing with him, and never catching any fish. He taught me patience. He always insisted in using bread as bait and taught me to resist the temptation to check the bread had not disintegrated from the hook too soon. So we were effectively fishing with just a hook in the water for most of the time! But I didn’t care, he had a cracking sense of humour and I loved spending time with him.

In 1975, when I was 11 he decided to take me to a football match. For some reason it was Millwall v Charlton at the Den. I recall it was a 1-1 draw. He took me again next season to the same fixture – again, I think it was a 1-1 draw with Lawrie Abrahams scoring for us. He asked me if I wanted to go more often. I said I did, but I didn’t like the blue team, could we go and see Charlton. He said they were a London team so why not.

I was probably at just the right age, but I really fell in love with Charlton at this point. I recall beating Blackpool 3-0 at the Valley and thinking this is my club. I remember being incredibly nervous before games and sharing some great moments with Grandad who himself become a Charlton fan. I recall the 4-1 victory over Spurs, heroes like Paddy Powell, Killer, Mike Flanagan and Nicky Johns that I shared with him. When my Grandad passed away, I kept going. I feel closer to him when I am at the Valley in a strange way. Charlton are not a business to me, they are something I love with all my heart. One of my first dates with my future wife was to the Valley. It was a message to her that if she was serious about me she would have to take on Charlton too. She did and she accompanies me to games with our 14 year old son who was christened at the Valley and has been a mascot twice. As a young boy he absolutely worshipped Darren Bent. I recall him and his team mates often being asked by coaches etc... who their favourite players was - you would get the Rooneys and Ronaldos but his response always took the questioner back! I converted my brother and he comes to games too.

There are moments I have shared with Charlton that I will take to my grave. The glory may have not have been constant but it meant more for that. The Curbishley years including the play-off final, winning the Championship and League One titles, players who have graced the shirt. Seeing DiCanio, Simonsen and Costa in a Charlton shirt. Superclive, Carl Leaburn (I was a fan), Sir Chris (so proud when he got his England caps) and my favourite ever player, Richard Rufus. Peter Shirtliff’s two goals in the play off final against Leeds – running back to the station for my life after the game. Stevie Gritt and Robbo – seemingly limited players who just had hearts so big, they became Charlton greats. Lennie Lawrence, and of course Curbs - the greatest! This isn’t a restaurant you stupid cow, it is my life.

Brilliant
  • Options

Hi all, thank you for your comments regarding my letter and thank you for sharing on here. It has been brilliant to see that so many Charlton fans share my view.
    As for handing the letter to Katrien, I think she is unlikely to accept it. I have been advised send her a private and confidential letter. If I do not receive a response within 3 weeks the I'll be in touch regarding a personal handing over of the letter - I want to keep this as professional as possible to maximise the likelihood of a response (however small that chance is).

I am also trying to get this letter into Voice of the Valley and also into the media, as I think it's a great opportunity for what's happening to be heard by football fans across the country.

Please do get in touch if you know any ways of getting this letter into the media.

Once again, thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Please feel free to contact me at beth.archer@live.co.uk.

All the best and a Happy New Year.

Bethany Archer

Hi Bethany

Regarding media coverage a group of people on CL are pooling their connections in that area.

Are you the type who would be ready to go on - probably -radio, but possibly TV?

Brilliant letter.
    Hi,

I am very eager to get the message that I am trying to convey to the media as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

Thanks,

Bethany Archer
  • Options
    Brilliant words Muttley. Sums it up well.

I have been inspired. Mostly I have no idea who took these images though.
  • Options
    Oops, first one changed now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kentred2 said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

This is one of the first bits of Duchatelet/Meire criticism I've seen that I can side with. It really is about communication, empathy, employing a real manager and covering quickly for injured players. Gets to the nub of it.

If there's one thing I disagree with it is the 'fans as customers' thing - of course it goes deeper than this but in a way Meire is being naively honest and showing that she thinks of us in terms of the bottom line, which is to be expected. It is certainly true that she could be more political, but as far as she is concerned we are customers, and I have no problem with this - as long as she keeps the prices low then I'm perfectly content to turn up. My turning up is a personal attachment that she has nothing to do with. I wish more felt the same.

So you're content to go as long as the prices are low, regardless of the 'product' you are receiving?
    Yes. It is blind faith, sure. And before you all tell me to go to Welling United instead, well the football is still better at Charlton, the stadium nicer, the atmosphere richer and the club one I've supported since early childhood.

I am not saying that everyone should have these standards, but personally I am going to turn up no matter what league we're in
    So will the vast majority of us boycotters if not all. You clearly still do not get it and so never will. It is not about results or the quality of football it is that competitive football is not their aim.
    What do you mean by that? They aim for us to lose every game?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

kentred2 said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

KM has stated that they don't care about results, they care about cutting costs more.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

kentred2 said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Come off it Leuth. You know very well that RD has stated that he is not bothered whether we win or not.

He wants to develop and trade footballers. He has no interest in Charlton as a football club and you know it.
  • Options
    They can't not care about results. That would be stupid on a very basic level. I don't think they prioritise promotion, but they'd have to be idiot children to not care about results. They're clearly not quite that.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

They can't not care about results. That would be stupid on a very basic level. I don't think they prioritise promotion, but they'd have to be idiot children to not care about results. They're clearly not quite that.

You said it.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

results are not one of their priorities. Not because they are idiot children but because break even, the match day experience and player sales are. What more evidence do you need. I saw it after sheff utd and now I would say only 2% of fans don't see it too.
  • Options
    You trade footballers for far higher prices in higher leagues. His model depends upon stability.

Over the next month I suppose we will see how much the threat of relegation concerns him.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Bingo. They are like that, watch the KM Dublin interview again.
  • Options
    andyg90 said:

With regards to the media, I've seen Talksport mentioned, worth sharing it with Stan and try to get 2-3 designated callers from here for his Call Collymore on Saturday?

I have tweeted him so hopefully I get a reply!