Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

City Break

Apologies if there is already thread but any suggestions for weekend away, potentially Eastern Europe for my son and I! I am 61 and he is 26! Mainly just a bit of sightseeing.

Comments

• I did a trip to Budapest on a day trip as part of a river cruise holiday, and it is very nice, lots to see. Had never considered it for a weekend break as don't know a word of Hungarian, but found lots of places had English translations, including menus, so might do it myself one day.
  • edited December 2015
    Kraków. Perfect for weekend. Stay in old town. Everything you could want all within walking distance.
  • Booked up to go to Montenegro (Podgorica) later this year for a long weekend. Have heard good things about it.
  • Tallin is nice for a weekend.
  • Tallin is nice for a weekend.

But expensive

• Riga, Tallin, Dubrovnik, Ljulblana, Prague, Bratislava, Gdansk, Krakow, Mostar.....list is endless really. Any of these would be great.

Also consider Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen or Helsinki.
  • I went to Slovakia a few years back, some lovely architecture but it was like stepping back to when Redmidland was a fashion icon! ;)
  • T.C.E said:

I went to Slovakia a few years back, some lovely architecture but it was like stepping back to when Redmidland was a fashion icon! ;)

Went there in October, also as part of the cruise and thought it was rather nice too.
  • Gibraltar
    plenty to see and do for a weekend.
  • Vienna or Berlin
  • Sponsored links:

• How about Blackpool?
  • Was in Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Bratislava earlier this year.

1st 3 are all very good for a nice break and you can do a day trip to Bratislava quite easily on the train.

You won't go wrong with the first 3. Budapest was very good and pretty cheap as well.
  • Has anyone been to Bucharest?
  • Florence and Rome both excellent. Make sure you have your walking boots on though.
  • Belgium is nice this time of year...
  • You could take a couple of people with you.

Just leave them there though please.
  • Budapest is definitely worth a visit. Great city.

Berlin is a must see, but I wouldn't class it as Eastern Europe.

I've never been, but never heard anyone say anything bad about Krakow and most people who've been recommend it.

I didn't enjoy Tallinn or Helsinki