Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What was the plan sold to the players?

Gudnmondsson, Cousins etc players with enough quality and potential that Charlton isn't their last chance saloon. What were they told to convince them to sign/renew contracts? Surely there must have been a vision beyond breaking even with an afterthought of "Premier League" ambition.

You hear it all the time to the point of cliche players say things along the lines of "When I heard what the manager had to say I had to be part of it" etc. Powell under Jiminez and Slater must have sold their plan to the squad we brought in that walked the league and they all got behind it.

Just wonder what they were told and whether it has changed and they feel as disillusioned as us about it. Of course it is easy to say they're just professionals and as long as they earn their money they don't care but surely for the younger ones with potential they'll want more out of their careers than just picking up their dough each week and would have been sold a vision (for want of a better word) to entice them to commit to the club?

Comments

• edited December 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if the players can see exactly what is going on too. They aren't stupid. I bet none of them have been around a club like this that makes so many poor decisions. They all say when questioned things like 'I don't worry about the politics of the club, I just get on with my job', but it's nonsense, of course they worry about those things, they don't want to be playing League One football. This stuff will get into their heads, at least on a subconscious level, and it will affect their performance.
  • Interesting that the two mentioned signed (somewhat unexpectedly to me at least) new deals in the summer. We then bring in poor players/squad and their form is what has dropped off a cliff. Lying to your workforce is never a very productive long term plan. I expect the next players 'sold the dream' may be somewhat more sceptical.

All of a sudden Hull would look like an attractive alternative!
  • That is a very good question and the only answer i have is sold a pup.Unlike Chelsea manager lost the trust of players
    Charlton have gone astep further the owner has lost the trust of the players.Two ways out of this and the quickest being players leave in January.The other route is no better the football stays the same and Charlton drop a division.Take your pick we are in a mess.
  • The younger players sign for the certainty of the money on a term contract, knowing they'll get plenty of Championship game time and experience and that they'll be in the shop window.

The older players, on a long term deal, know they'll be paid for a couple of years and that they're also in the shop window for an exit to a better place.

The older players on short term deals are grabbing the only deal they've been offered to earn coin for another few months or so.
  • This is why we are screwed come January... this is also why we are not going anywhere until the Belgians leave...

We have used up all our credit as a club, all our "give them the benefit of the doubt"... all the good will with the supporters have finally evaporated ...

and Nationally we have no chance of securing players or a manger of any note...

Leaving us with overseas tosh... oh, thats what weve already got and thats what is driving us into the the dirt that is Laegue one…

There are no heroes left...

• Was the source of Kerm / Dervite coming in January a credible one or just made up? Can't even remember where I read it.
  • In fairness, I think most people expected us to be solid and that Watt, Vetokele and Makienok would get goals. Wrong on all counts, but I was quite optimistic about this season
  • wmcf123 said:

In fairness, I think most people expected us to be solid and that Watt, Vetokele and Makienok would get goals. Wrong on all counts, but I was quite optimistic about this season

Though many warned when the season kicked off that our squad as a whole was not good enough to get through any periods of sustained injuries.
  • I think that the players were told that RD has serious ambitions to get us promoted to the Premier League. I'm certain he believes his plan will.

The fact that it won't because at present it's bollocks won't have changed the fact that that is exactly what Roland believes.