Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

hgv training

Good evening my fellow long suffering fans.i need a bit of advice if anyone can help. my company have just paid for my class 2 lorry licence and after Christmas will be paying for my class 1 I signed a form saying I have to stay for a minimum of 3 years or pay it back but a lot of people at work are saying that they can't hold me to that.does anyone have any idea where I stand on this as a mate of mine says he can get me a job with his company with more money

Comments

• dancafc said:

Good evening my fellow long suffering fans.i need a bit of advice if anyone can help. my company have just paid for my class 2 lorry licence and after Christmas will be paying for my class 1 I signed a form saying I have to stay for a minimum of 3 years or pay it back but a lot of people at work are saying that they can't hold me to that.does anyone have any idea where I stand on this as a mate of mine says he can get me a job with his company with more money

I'd show a bit of loyalty (stupidity) and stay with the firm paying for the lessons meself pal
  • .......you can't do too much for a good governer
  • When I saw the title I thought you had started another Igor thread...
  • ...............or is it you can't do a good governor for enough?
  • We had this type of debate before about notice period. I guess you can do what you like but they will hold your last month's pay if you have any notice period, do you ever want a reference from them and did you sign anything ?
  • Your employment contract will (or should if your boss has any sense) state that the Class 1 training reverts to the status of a loan should you leave within so many months, and the loan amortises the longer you stay with the present firm.. and a loan, if you leave before the total amortisation must be repaid ..

see you in the small claims court
  • PL54 said:

We had this type of debate before about notice period. I guess you can do what you like but they will hold your last month's pay if you have any notice period, do you ever want a reference from them and did you sign anything ?

Yeah I signed for 3 years
  • Your employment contract will (or should if your boss has any sense) state that the Class 1 training reverts to the status of a loan should you leave within so many months, and the loan amortises the longer you stay with the present firm.. and a loan, if you leave before the total amortisation must be repaid ..

I was told that they are not an authorised money lender so they can't claim anything off me but that's why I was asking coz I wasn't sure
  • dancafc said:

Your employment contract will (or should if your boss has any sense) state that the Class 1 training reverts to the status of a loan should you leave within so many months, and the loan amortises the longer you stay with the present firm.. and a loan, if you leave before the total amortisation must be repaid ..

I was told that they are not an authorised money lender so they can't claim anything off me but that's why I was asking coz I wasn't sure
    new one on me .. sound like a bit of 'barrack room lawyer' chat to me .. read this .. not quite your case, but near:

http://soshr.com/news11-1296
  • Why are you even asking this? You signed a deal, so do the honourable thing and stick to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Why are you even asking this? You signed a deal, so do the honourable thing and stick to it.

The way I look at it is Iv got a job for at least 3 years but just wanted to know where I stand if I get an offer that I can't refuse Ie more money closer to home that sort of thing
  • Or just pay them back if you want to leave.

How much would that cost?
  • Well, good luck to you Dan. I hope you do get an offer you can't refuse. But if you do, pay them back and walk away with your head held high.
  • Before anyone jumps too quickly on this chap for voicing what he is thinking. He is doing what tons of people in here get on a pedestal about.

The dear old Scott Parker analogy.

I sill think he is a shit for leaving how he did because of a number of reasons. He was adulated, was bang in form, had the team built around him had thousands of people sing his name etc etc

A lot of people respond with something like 'so Carter if a company offered to treble your salary you'd leave too wouldn't you'

All @dancafc is doing here is that exact analogy.

On a serious note, your firm are paying for your training which isn't cheap even assuming you pass first time. Offset that cost against he money your mates place is paying you and ask if they would or wouldn't give you that dough without you having the class 1 licence.

The reason firms do this is because they have high turnover of HGV drivers with other places and agencies pinching them with offers of more money once you are skilled up. I can't say I blame them to be honest. If you jack it in they need to find someone else and train them up all over again
  • dancafc said:

£2200

so possibly .. make sure the loan decreases/amortises over time £2200/3 is about £750 (say) a year, possibly gross, possibly net depending on the deal .. do two years, you've paid off £1500, pay the £700 balance and you're free from debt and any possible guilt over stitching up your boss.
    On the other hand. if he's paying VERY bad money, and taking advantage of the fact that he's paid/paying for training, work out another ploy.
    Whatever. As I wrote above, if your boss/firm is half way professional and on the ball, they'll ensure you pay, or else, as also said above, they will hold your in hand pay and give you a bad reference. It all really depends on the contract you have signed

• edited December 2015
    Carter said:

Before anyone jumps too quickly on this chap for voicing what he is thinking. He is doing what tons of people in here get on a pedestal about.

The dear old Scott Parker analogy.

I sill think he is a shit for leaving how he did because of a number of reasons. He was adulated, was bang in form, had the team built around him had thousands of people sing his name etc etc

A lot of people respond with something like 'so Carter if a company offered to treble your salary you'd leave too wouldn't you'

All @dancafc is doing here is that exact analogy.

On a serious note, your firm are paying for your training which isn't cheap even assuming you pass first time. Offset that cost against he money your mates place is paying you and ask if they would or wouldn't give you that dough without you having the class 1 licence.

The reason firms do this is because they have high turnover of HGV drivers with other places and agencies pinching them with offers of more money once you are skilled up. I can't say I blame them to be honest. If you jack it in they need to find someone else and train them up all over again

At this present time I'm staying there because they have given me a chance it was only a question because it's a big talking point in our yard most days so I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew how it worked for certain.im by no means disloyal but my wife and kids come first so if there's more money to be had then iv gotta think about it
  • dancafc said:

£2200

so possibly .. make sure the loan decreases/amortises over time £2200/3 is about £750 (say) a year, possibly gross, possibly net depending on the deal .. do two years, you've paid off £1500, pay the £700 balance and you're free from debt and any possible guilt over stitching up your boss.
    On the other hand. if he's paying VERY bad money, and taking advantage of the fact that he's paid/paying for training, work out another ploy.
    Whatever. As I wrote above, if your boss/firm is half way professional and on the ball, they'll ensure you pay, or else, as also said above, they will hold your in hand pay and give you a bad reference. It all really depends on the contract you have signed

I agree with you.i have to admit I took the job on minimum wage on the understanding when I pass the class 2 I'd be on the same as the rest of the drivers then it goes up again on the class 1.i passed my class 2 first time and I'm doing the same job as the rest but on the same shit money as before
  • Yeah of course mate, HGV driving is not an easy career. I've got a class 2 through work and I would never drive for a living and I hate driving the things. Simple reason too much personal responsibility and in my eyes unless you get on direct for somewhere like John Lewis or Waitrose not enough money for the risk. The blame for anything is squarely on the driver immediately until proven otherwise and the world and road network gets more anti-HGV every day.

Weigh it all up, if the place you are at treat you well and support you while you gain experience then use it. 3 years you are still a novice once you've got miles under the belt go chasing dollar then.
  • dancafc said:

dancafc said:

£2200

I agree with you.i have to admit I took the job on minimum wage on the understanding when I pass the class 2 I'd be on the same as the rest of the drivers then it goes up again on the class 1.i passed my class 2 first time and I'm doing the same job as the rest but on the same shit money as before
    mmm, so he's reneged on his word, or at least on what you understood .. there is a vey old saying: ' you don't get what you're worth, you get what you can negotiate' .. Possibly, go see the boss, remind him of his words before you took and passed the Class 2 and ask for a raise (presuming you have not done this), he might say like: 'things are bad, you are not performing, we're in a recession blah blah blah' .. equally, he might increase your pay .. BUT, whatever the outcome .. rule one, two and three .. if there is hassle, keep your cool, bide your time and come to a decision on the best terms for you that you can work round, take your time and do the best for you.
    IF the result is no raise and you are certain of your ground, and IF the promised new job with better money is a REAL one, then possibly take the new one .. the fact that the old boss has reneged on a promise, even a verbal one, I would say that frees you from any moral obligation .. there might well still be a problem with the reference and pay in hand, you'll have to weigh the pros and cons of that one. Whatever you decide may well cost you .. IF your decision is to quit

My rates are cheap .. that's £1500 please .. I thank you ((:>)

SERIOUSLY .. good luck
  • Sponsored links:

• dancafc said:

dancafc said:

£2200

mmm, so he's reneged on his word, or at least on what you understood .. there is a vey old saying: ' you don't get what you're worth, you get what you can negotiate' .. Possibly, go see the boss, remind him of his words before you took and passed the Class 2 and ask for a raise (presuming you have not done this), he might say like: 'things are bad, you are not performing, we're in a recession blah blah blah' .. equally, he might increase your pay .. BUT, whatever the outcome .. rule one, two and three .. if there is hassle, keep your cool, bide your time and come to a decision on the best terms for you that you can work round, take your time and do the best for you.
    IF the result is no raise and you are certain of your ground, and IF the promised new job with better money is a REAL one, then possibly take the new one .. the fact that the old boss has reneged on a promise, even a verbal one, I would say that frees you from any moral obligation .. there might well still be a problem with the reference and pay in hand, you'll have to weigh the pros and cons of that one. Whatever you decide may well cost you .. IF your decision is to quit

My rates are cheap .. that's £1500 please .. I thank you ((:>)

SERIOUSLY .. good luck
    Thanks mate sound advice