Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why aren't our players match fit?

In each of the last three games we have tired in the last 20 minutes and in the case of the last two this nearly resulted in disastrous home defeats rather than mediocre draws. Whatever way the team is set up we seem to tire badly and this is shown up even more by the lack of quality substitutes. I don't think we can blame this entirely on the interim manager as its been the case all season. Surely rule number one for any manager is to get your players match fit!? Leicester looked fitter and sharper than Chelsea on Monday night and that fitness is one reason why they are doing so well - Some decent players help as well!!

Comments

• Crap coaching?
  • Poor pre-season headed up by Luzon and Mathews...
  • edited December 2015
    Pedro45 said:

Poor pre-season headed up by Luzon and Mathews...

• Was going to say it's not only for three games the players have not looked fit, it goes back to when Luzon was in charge.
  • Whoever organised that pre season must take a lot of the blame. Playing a game in Belguim (so we can safely assume KM must have had some input) on a surface which we will not have to play on all season and 6 players could not be risked on shows the level of incompetence at our club.

Also signing players so late in pre season is never good in terms of fitness as they are always playing catch up. Curbs was always the master at getting players in time for the 1st day of training
  • I believe a lot of the players we signed have had very little game time over the last few years which won't have helped. I guess one of the reasons Cousins keeps his place despite a drop in form is his energy and ability to get around the pitch.
  • Never mind JH2 the fact that the players that were sent back to avoid injury played at Dulwich, on an artificial surface. Begs the question if anyone was aware of what they were being sent back to play on. Igor and JJ played. But sure KM had a lovely day out gloating to her old neighbours and friends whilst the team she purports to be a fan of were getting stuffed.
  • A mix of reasons, some of which have been mentioned above. I would add that having a paper thin squad means that there's never an opportunity for any knackered ones to have a rest.
  • A couple of key players are still feeling their way back from injury. Jackson has had two hamstring injuries, Makienok was out for a while, Solly (who is starting to look stronger now) had struggled with knocks.

Lookman is new to it and is probably feeling the pace.

Gudmonsson probably needs a rest (personally I'd consider leaving him out of the Burnley trip altogether and give a game to Ahearne-Grant/Moussa).

Vaz Te is feeling his way back after a long time not playing matches.

Holmes-Dennis could be struggling with playing Sat/Tues games at this level? Maybe the same with Lennon?

Reza had an injury at Forest and took a while to get sharp but is full of running now.