Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bolton game NOT the be all and end all of the season

edited December 2015 in General Charlton
The game against Bolton was never alone going to decide our fate for this season. If we had won we could have lost the 4 festives games coming up and be in much worse position than we are now. We could have drawn (which we did) or lost then gone on to win the 4 festives games and we would be in a much better than we are now. If we get relegated, we get relegated. But if we do get relegated it won't be because of not getting a good enough result in the home match against Bolton. It will be because we have not got enough good enough results over the remaining (as it stood before the Bolton game) 27 games and of course over all 46 games across our regular league season. A win against Bolton would have put us in a slightly more comfortable position and kept us out the relegation zone. But it is where you are after game 46 not game 20. As I said if we are in the releagtion zone after game 46, we are in the releagtion zone after game 46 and we go down. There is nothing as fans we can do about where finish in the table. Yes it was against a team bottom of the table. Yes we blew a lead we shouldn't have. No we weren't at at our very best on the night. And yes I am worried just as much as every fan about relegation. BUT this Bolton game was NOT the be all and end all of the season.

Comments

• We're not even half way through the season and a point in relegation...

Its a joke that people are saying we're down already and that we should prepare for League One!!

Its a joke that people are saying we're down already and that we should prepare for League One!!

We're not down at all at the moment. We're only down when it mathamically impossible. Not before.

We're not down at all at the moment. We're only down when it mathamically impossible. Not before.
    well... I don't think anyone can argue with that..

Absolutely correct but. We are there in the bottom three on absolute merit. We are not good enough at present to be any higher than being in a relegation scrap. Are the omens good ? Not for me. I don't believe RD will spend any more in the January transfer window than the fee we get for Watt and any money we save on wages by ditching a few fringe players. I'm not sure that will be enough to avoid it being a very close thing avoiding the drop.

Exactly... God if Solly or Henderson came out today in the News Shopper and said: Yes we agree with the fans, we're all but relegation, we're going to prepare for League One Football, everyone would go beserk

Exactly... God if Solly or Henderson came out today in the News Shopper and said: Yes we agree with the fans, we're all but relegation, we're going to prepare for League One Football, everyone would go beserk
    Absolutely
  • Its not the be all and all, I agree, but it was a benchmark on how competitive we are with a two goal head start against the weakest team in the league.

Are Bolton the weakest side in the League?

Pratley .. Heskey .. Danns .. Amos .. Moxey .. Spearing .. Feeney .. Davies .. Wheater all have strong Premier League experience, they're where they are because of lack of form, not lack of talent
  • Its not the be all and all, I agree, but it was a benchmark on how competitive we are with a two goal head start against the weakest team in the league.

Pratley .. Heskey .. Danns .. Amos .. Moxey .. Spearing .. Feeney .. Davies .. Wheater all have strong Premier League experience, they're where they are because of lack of form, not lack of talent
    Lack of form for the last 25 games though. I think there's a point where you just have to say they're a terrible team. Decent players maybe, but a worthless team.
  • Sponsored links:

Lack of form for the last 25 games though. I think there's a point where you just have to say they're a terrible team. Decent players maybe, but a worthless team.
    But it shows that if you can get them playing well under a rejuvenated manager (Neil Lennon's comment prove he is as miserable as everyone else up there) and I reckon Bolton wouldn't be where they are right now

Or they're just not a good TEAM in the Championship. As others relegated from the Prem, including ourselves, have proven in the past. It's about the whole make up of skills and mentality of the team/squad/management, not the individuals.

I don't think anybody truly thinks that we don't have any good players. Indeed I think we have some very talented individuals, but do they make a good consistent TEAM for this league lead by a suitable manager? So far the evidence suggests not.
  • DRAddick said:

Its not the be all and all, I agree, but it was a benchmark on how competitive we are with a two goal head start against the weakest team in the league.

Or they're just not a good TEAM in the Championship. As others relegated from the Prem, including ourselves, have proven in the past. It's about the whole make up of skills and mentality of the team/squad/management, not the individuals.

I don't think anybody truly thinks that we don't have any good players. Indeed I think we have some very talented individuals, but do they make a good consistent TEAM for this league lead by a suitable manager? So far the evidence suggests not.
    I'm not saying with that team of ex-Premier League players, Bolton should be ripping up the Championship, hell I even agreed with your post as know what you mean... I just wonder if Bolton are the weakest team in the Division, I guess the end of the season will tell us
  • DRAddick said:

Its not the be all and all, I agree, but it was a benchmark on how competitive we are with a two goal head start against the weakest team in the league.

I'm not saying with that team of ex-Premier League players, Bolton should be ripping up the Championship, hell I even agreed with your post as know what you mean... I just wonder if Bolton are the weakest team in the Division, I guess the end of the season will tell us
    Exactly, the table never lies when all the games are done. It rarely matters if a team is considered too good to go down. The fact is, we are out of form, our league position is precarious and we've had a string of managers that struggle to get the best out of our players for longer than a few months (less in Fraeye's case). It's all these things, coupled with lack of understanding regarding the frailties in the squad and failure to bring in the right players to address it which often leads clubs to be relegated. We are currently ticking many of the boxes of a classic relegation candidate.

Bolton had Madine and Danns on the bench. I would have loved to have brought on Danns instead of Ba

Absolutely
    ..........And risk losing their £5k - £10k a week wages ?
    No chance of them saying anything to jeopardise that.

Compared to Bolton last night, ......2-0 down and no wages at all.

Face facts guys, we are screwed. We only have one guy that can score, and we can't defend, almost half the season is gone and we have 25 games to get 32 points - so 8 or 9 wins needed.

We can't beat Bolton/MKD/Rotherham/Leeds/Preston/Fulham/Hudds or Forest. (5 points from 8 teams in the bottom half)
    Beating Hull, Brum and QPR doesn't improve our overall position against the teams around us - as they will get unexpected wins as well.

We have a club where the squad is small, and hit with long term injuries, then a striker is loaned out to another Championship team.
    We give a defender a FOUR YEAR CONTRACT and then say he can leave 6 months later.
    Our CB gets a red, and then does the same thing a few games later.

So many things need correcting in such a short time - including no permanent manager.

You do the maths.

• Its a joke that people are saying we're down already and that we should prepare for League One!!

RD has been preparing us for League One since he took over.

Set a relegation level budget, get rid of your best players, siting that they are not good enough, giving them away for free in some cases and replacing them with an absolute load of tripe.

You would almost think that he wants to relegate us, so he can play the whole academy team and save even more in wages.

• Its a joke that people are saying we're down already and that we should prepare for League One!!

RD has been preparing us for League One since he took over.

Set a relegation level budget, get rid of your best players, siting that they are not good enough, giving them away for free in some cases and replacing them with an absolute load of tripe.

You would almost think that he wants to relegate us, so he can play the whole academy team and save even more in wages.
    And he'd still lose money. What is his real motive ? It's just so bizarre.

And (if they got paid...) an expensive one, I should imagine.
  • Table does not lie, not after this amount of games, we deserve to be in the bottom three currently as Bolton, Brentford, Leeds, Preston, Huddersfield & Rotherham all relegation battling teams who have left the Valley with points.

That could easily change and I still believe we can drag ourselves above that line by the time game 46 has been played but my question mark is even if we do stay up this season after two seasons of doing the exact same thing that has risked an unnecessary relegation will they finally learn and make changes to make sure this does not happen again?

I seriously doubt it, as they appear to not even realise the mistakes they are making.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015
    This ^ everyone makes mistakes but only a completely pig headed fool keeps making the same mistakes!