Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley Wanderer: The Mike Bailey Story

I'm a friend of Mike's son Andy and he advised me earlier this year that the book was in the pipeline.
It's out now! Apparently, the book has plenty of pics and tracks his life from playing at Charlton and then Wolves and managing at Hereford, Charlton and Brighton via a stint in the States.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0992982650/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me

I also believe that Mike will be at Saturday's match v Leeds if people want to buy a copy and get it signed too. I'll confirm where he'll be once Andy lets me know.

Comments

• I'm a friend of Mike's son Andy and he advised me earlier this year that the book was in the pipeline.
    It's out now! Apparently, the book has plenty of pics and tracks his life from playing at Charlton and then Wolves and managing at Hereford, Charlton and Brighton via a stint in the States.

I also believe that Mike will be at Saturday's match v Leeds if people want to buy a copy and get it signed too. I'll confirm where he'll be once Andy lets me know.

Thanks for letting us know.

Will definitely being getting a copy for myself.

Where will he be selling copies at the Valley?

The museum will be available from 11 to 1 if needed.
  • Thanks for the info
  • He wished my dad good luck on the morning of his wedding to my mum (they were neighbours in Church Rd Bexleyheath)
  • Bumped into him at Brighton seemed to have lost weight but looked good for his age.
  • I'm a friend of Mike's son Andy and he advised me earlier this year that the book was in the pipeline.

Thanks Henry. I'm trying to get answers ASAP. Thanks also for the offer of the museum.
    Cheers.

Thanks Henry. I'm trying to get answers ASAP. Thanks also for the offer of the museum.
    Cheers.
    Have you asked mick.everett@cafc.co.uk?

Cheers.
    Have you asked mick.everett@cafc.co.uk?
    I've passed this all on to Andy and he'll let us know what's happening ASAP. He also passes on his thanks and appreciation.

• Definite hero of mine......I went to the England v Wales game in 1964 at Wembley to see a current Charlton player. If I remember rightly he had a badly broken leg (up at Leeds?) soon after, otherwise could have had a good chance to play in the '66 World Cup.
  • MB is the landlord of my neice - she said he is a top fella.
  • I would be interested in a copy too, hope it will be on sale this Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• One of my favourite players of all time, I was even lucky enough to watch him while I lived in Wolverhampton.
  • Can't make it this Saturday, I have ordered it from Amazon
  • Worked for Mike when he had the Valley Club and White Horse many years ago. He is a true Gent. He is quite shy had a good sense of humour and arranged for me to have my photo taken with Derek Hales who is still my all time favourite player. I hope that Mike and his family are keeping well.
    I doubt it made his book but when he owned the Valley Club we had a guard dog supplied by one of the local members and this dog was mental, Mike was changing a light bulb above one of the pool tables and as he jumped down the dog bit him and I can honestly say that I have seen Mike Bailey's arse teeth marks and all. I can still remember Mike hobbling into the members bar and saying that fucking dog has just bit me. I had to turn away the tears running down my face as I had heard him scream out as the teeth sunk in and was in fits.
    Good luck to Mike hope the book does well and I will be getting a copy
  • Definite hero of mine......I went to the England v Wales game in 1964 at Wembley to see a current Charlton player. If I remember rightly he had a badly broken leg (up at Leeds?) soon after, otherwise could have had a good chance to play in the '66 World Cup.

I am not 100% sure but I thought it was a cup replay at Middlesbrough where he broke his leg.

• Double fracture - FAC4 replay at Middlesbrough 01 Feb 65. MB was due to join up the following week with the England squad.

He was sold to Wolves (a Div 2 rival) in Feb 66, in the midst of a relegation battled (which we survived - just).

Great player
  • Probably one of the greatest players to play for us, at least from the sixties. Absolutely gutted when he was sold. Said that many times since alas.
  • Thanks for all the kind words and help everyone. I understand Dad hasn't heard back from the club shop about selling the book in there and also doing a signing session but Mick Everett has kindly tried again for him so fingers crossed. I'm going to the Leeds game with him tomorrow so if anyone is interested let me know and I'll try and sort something out. HappyValley - thanks for reminding me of his leg break in 65! What could have been eh!! :-)) Yes it was at Middlesbrough. The player that did it to him never apologised which disappointed Dad more than anything.
  • @Zuluwolf offer to use the museum is still open. We have a few items related to your dad including some early 60s wages ledgers he might find funny.

He'd be welcome to sell books from there but we have to close at 1.00pm

Mick Everett will be aware of the museum as he is a trustee and the main force behind it.
  • Thanks Henry. I think it's more of a logistics thing of getting him there by that time at the moment so will know more when I track him down later.
  • Zuluwolf said:

Thanks for all the kind words and help everyone. I understand Dad hasn't heard back from the club shop about selling the book in there and also doing a signing session but Mick Everett has kindly tried again for him so fingers crossed. I'm going to the Leeds game with him tomorrow so if anyone is interested let me know and I'll try and sort something out. HappyValley - thanks for reminding me of his leg break in 65! What could have been eh!! :-)) Yes it was at Middlesbrough. The player that did it to him never apologised which disappointed Dad more than anything.

I was playing for Charlton youth when your dad was captain and to me he was the best, my hero. I only met him once when I was in the treatment room and I will never forget it. Remind him, there are fans still watching that enjoyed watching him play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tried Amazon but out of stock. Anyone know where i can get a copy.
  • edited November 2016
    Acab said:

Tried Amazon but out of stock. Anyone know where i can get a copy.

Have you tried @Henry Irving ? The museum have a number of second hand books and programmes left to them by fans which they sell on for a small fee to help with running costs.
  • Thanks. will do.
  • Sorry, we don't have any of Mike's books for sale @Acab
  • @Zuluwolf - Are you able to advise @Acab please?